News story: New offshore patrol vessels for Royal Navy

My understanding is that these three new OPV's will be in addition to the three existing River Class OPV's, not replacements for.

Amazing. Truly amazing, funded because it was cheaper to build them than pay for an idle shipyard. BAE must have thought it Christmas when that deal was signed. I wonder how long the agreement lasts

Under the terms of a business agreement signed with BAE Systems in 2009, MOD would have been liable to pay for any periods when no shipbuilding was taking place at UK yards.

The cost of building the ships is funded from money that would have been used to pay for idle capacity, finance redundancies and meet the cost of industrial restructuring

Last edited:
TOBA has been ended

Some years before I was born or have I got the wrong TOBA, that said a 1000 year cooling off period sounds about right

The Toba supereruption was a supervolcaniceruption that occurred some time between 69,000 and 77,000 years ago at the site of present-day Lake Toba (Sumatra, Indonesia). It is one of the Earth's largest known eruptions. The Toba catastrophe hypothesis holds that this event caused a global volcanic winter of 6–10 years and possibly a 1,000-year-long cooling episode.

Latest Threads