News story: New medal unveiled to recognise the fight against Daesh

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
There were RN (and RAF) folk living in really smart civvy flats both in Manama and Muharraq. Granted they may all now be inside the wire at Jufair, but that’s a relatively recent iteration.
Oh I know. I was CTF 152 and had the joys of the US Army camp within Kuwait Naval Base. Shared rooms, me and 4 mice. Loved going up to visit the MCC lot as I could get a shower and not have to kill the cockroaches first. Bitter, me - no.....

There were RN (and RAF) folk living in really smart civvy flats both in Manama and Muharraq. Granted they may all now be inside the wire at Jufair, but that’s a relatively recent iteration.
Been there, done that, got the Tshirt.

If you want risk/rigour then I suspect a good staff officer could easily do a justification based on the persistent IED campaign of the last few years, that proved surprisingly cheeky at times...

Been there, done that, got the Tshirt.

If you want risk/rigour then I suspect a good staff officer could easily do a justification based on the persistent IED campaign of the last few years, that proved surprisingly cheeky at times...
Recognition for Kipion has been a long running sore. The reality is, for many*, it’s an overseas posting (or as the crabs call it ‘an out of area’) and carries neither sufficient risk nor rigour so routinely falls below the threshold at the ORB.
The same could be said for those in the Falklands.
There has been an argument for an ops support medal for places such as FI, Cyprus, minhad, pjhq but it has been squarely rejected.

* I accept some are routinely meeting risk and rigour. Namely MCMV crews and FFDD when they go EOS.

Recognition for Kipion has been a long running sore. The reality is, for many*, it’s an overseas posting (or as the crabs call it ‘an out of area’) and carries neither sufficient risk nor rigour so routinely falls below the threshold at the ORB.
The same could be said for those in the Falklands.
There has been an argument for an ops support medal for places such as FI, Cyprus, minhad, pjhq but it has been squarely rejected.

* I accept some are routinely meeting risk and rigour. Namely MCMV crews and FFDD when they go EOS.
Shoreside, I'd only note that the RMP have placed large portions of Bahrain OOB due to the black Shia ninjas that drop out of the sky. Actually the KSA rent-a-skull-crackers were much more dangerous.

At sea, much like all maritime OSMs, simply define the AOR and off you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the question is where does it end?

Let’s take PJHQ. People have suggested the J3 Ops team get it. If they do - what about the rest of the OT? They all contribute - and 8 and 9 are normally CS so we should include them. How about DACOS A who runs SHADER, TORAL and another couple of Ops. Does he get all the medals? How about ACOS J3? Does he leave PJHQ with a hefty tailoring bill? What about the J5 team? The SO2 will be swept up with the OT. But what about the DACOS? How about ACOS J5? How about COS (Ops) or CJO. All
Absolutely fundamental to every Operation.

What about the sS. ADOC isn’t as Ops specific but the programming and FGen of FEs for Ops is vital? Do they get recognition? How about the 1 Div team who FGen most of the personnel for current Ops.

A trickle can become a wave can become a tsunami
The only important people in PJHQ are/were the J3 heroes. Handsome, gifted, suave and debonair legends to a man.

Everyone else was/is the skid marks on the underpants of humanity.

Retreats and hides under table, awaiting incoming.

Last edited:
The only important people in PJHQ are/were the J3 heroes. Handsome, gifted, suave and debonair legends to a man.

Everyone else was/is the skid marks on the underpants of humanity.

Retreats and hides under table, awaiting incoming.
It doesn’t take a hero to deal with VARPs and OETs.

The blue sky thinking that takes place in J5 on the other hand. That takes a god amongst men.

Does anyone know whether bobbies and civvies working and fighting against IS in the UK and abroad will qualify for the medal?

It doesn’t take a hero to deal with VARPs and OETs.

The blue sky thinking that takes place in J5 on the other hand. That takes a god amongst men.
Normally run by an RAF 1* though - good enough reason to avoid. That said, the bloke who was ACOS J5 when I was there was an absolute legend.

Does anyone know whether bobbies and civvies working and fighting against IS in the UK and abroad will qualify for the medal?
Yes they do. Bobbies get the exemplary service medal (Police LS&GC) after just 20 years service. The medal consolidates and recognises their efforts in fighting IS radicalisers and recruits with other important investigations such as burglary, assault, doorstep theft of milk, begging, hawking and forging pig movement orders etc. etc.

Police and LE civilian staff fighting IS in the UK and abroad get the satisfaction of knowing they're doing important and valuable work.

One group who generally miss out are embassy staff (both civilian and military), who often work around the clock to maintain ABO (Access, Basing and Overflight) as well as 'influence' with Key stakeholders. In Middle East, PAK and AFG posts, there is risk to life and limb (most post travel is by CAV - at least where road travel is still permitted) but the staff are NOT deployed on operations and therefore are generally ineligible for medallic recognition. VCDS commendations get showered around but, frankly, those are up there with Speech Day certificates. And the staff are there for up to 3 years and not just 6 months. This doesn't affect me now; another medal retrospectively would be a tad expensive to mount!
"Cough, cough"

Civilian Service Medal: Afghanistan