News story: NATO appoints UK Officer Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe

Lieutenant General Tim Radford has been appointed NATO’s Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe (DSACEUR), demonstrating the leading role the UK plays in the transatlantic alliance.

Continue reading...

I have had the pleasure of meeting Gen. Radford on more than one occasion and can attest that he is a thoroughly good bloke; I can't think of a better candidate. Point of order, though; DSACEUR is always a UK post - @MoD_RSS is disingenuous in suggesting that this "demonstrates the leading role of the UK".

Point of order, though; DSACEUR is always a UK post - @MoD_RSS is disingenuous in suggesting that this "demonstrates the leading role of the UK".
But the centre needs some good European solidarity news to spin in the week we were supposed to be leaving. They've 'forgotten' to mention that the new DSACEUR will have one less hat to wear, as the EU Op Cdr job has now been moved to VCOS SHAPE.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Gen. Radford on more than one occasion and can attest that he is a thoroughly good bloke; I can't think of a better candidate. Point of order, though; DSACEUR is always a UK post - @MoD_RSS is disingenuous in suggesting that this "demonstrates the leading role of the UK".
1970's was two DSACEUR one German at time when boxhead land was making a big contribution to NATO. DSACEUR started with Monty as D to Ike.

Edit - Some more on this, a reorg made the boxhead 4 star Chief of Staff, so one UK SACEUR.

Supreme Allied Commander Europe - Wikipedia

Last edited:
DSACEUR is always a UK post - @MoD_RSS is disingenuous in suggesting that this "demonstrates the leading role of the UK".
Just for once I'm going to defend the MoD, since he's a general it does demonstrate the 'leading' role of the UK, that we have minimal forces to back our leader up is the embarrasing bit.

You think or do you know. I know.
Any one who tells me he knows just proves he's a fool who doesn't understand the unknown unknowns, but passing on that any modern army with more horses than tanks, please. The Polish army is about the same size as ours but manages to own 3x as many MBTs, which will be more use defending central Europe.

Does anyone know what is happening to James Everard? Is it the end of the line for him?

MB
Not heard any rumours about where Gen James will go next, but as far as a military career goes, I believe he's done. He will be sorely missed at SHAPE; his successor has quite an expectation to live up to.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does anyone know what is happening to James Everard? Is it the end of the line for him?

MB
Yes. There's nowhere to go from 4* in terms of military roles. He could have moved to CGS or CDS when those positions were open but those options are closed now.

Yes. There's nowhere to go from 4* in terms of military roles. He could have moved to CGS or CDS when those positions were open but those options are closed now.
Thanks @Caecilius . It's a pity, I think he would have made a good CGS.

I worked with him at 20X. A good man, mad as a box of frogs, but a true soldiers man.

Could drink like a fish too!

MB

I've done some me work for Gen Tim in the past. A thoroughly good man and NATO's gain.

Any one who tells me he knows just proves he's a fool who doesn't understand the unknown unknowns, but passing on that any modern army with more horses than tanks, please. The Polish army is about the same size as ours but manages to own 3x as many MBTs, which will be more use defending central Europe.
You are talking nonsense. And I wont enter a p1ssing contest with you regarding unknowns.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads