News story: MOD appeal for families of missing or killed soldiers from the Korean War

At the recent United States-Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) Summit, President Trump and Kim Jong Un signed the Sentosa Agreement, which included a commitment to recover remains from the DPRK and return them to the US, where they will be identified.

The remains may include UK casualties and the DNA samples will be used to support identification, over a number of years, to make sure any UK personnel identified are ultimately given military funerals at the United Nations cemetery in the Republic of Korea. The MOD also intend to cover costs for immediate family members to attend.

UK personnel fought during the Korean War as part of the United Nations Command (UNC). The three-year conflict between 1950 and 1953 led to the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives from Korea, China and the UNC.

Family members of those missing personnel who have no known grave are asked to call the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre on 01452 854622/855258.

Continue reading...

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I know this is a feed so wouldnt get an actual response, but i noted that the intention is to give a funeral at the cemetery in Korea. Would they repatriate to the UK if the family requested?

I expect not as they will go by the rules at the time. However never say never, if enough of a stink is kicked up but then it sets a precedent and families of those buried there already would ask why can my relation not be repatriated.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
When did the rules chamnge? Wasnt there an option for those lost in the Falklands?

I think the Falklands was the change where repatriation rule was changed, I expect if we had a big war and masses of casualties again overseas the Govt would go for the cheaper option! but in reality they know Casualty numbers will be slight and repatriation is the option of choice to save a huge outcry.

In the 1960s, the concept of bringing bodies back home was considered. Firstly it was a choice. You could either have the body of a loved one repatriated or two members of the family could go and attend a funeral in the foreign clime where the body was to be buried.

The Falklands War hinted at the changing moods towards repatriation

In 2003, government policy officially changed in the UK. From that date all servicemen killed in the line of action were to be repatriated to the UK at the government's expense.
Source: The British Empire, Imperialism, Colonialism, Colonies

OT but there are 6 RAF crew members buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Detroit. They died when their plane crashed in Detroit back in the 50s. I've been there once, the Canadian legion (?) I think holds a service every memorial day.

Accident Avro Vulcan B Mk I XA908, 24 Oct 1958

Last edited: