News story: Military personnel receive over £4million in extra cash to protect them from Scottish tax hikes

Military personnel liable for Scottish income tax will this month receive extra money from the MOD to protect them from increased tax rates in Scotland.

Continue reading...

WTF why are they paying Scottish income tax rate when they are employed by the UK government, I didn't pay German or Canadian income tax rates when I was there so why in the UK is this the case. £4 million pound wasted if you ask me.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
WTF why are they paying Scottish income tax rate when they are employed by the UK government, I didn't pay German or Canadian income tax rates when I was there so why in the UK is this the case. £4 million pound wasted if you ask me.
Because the SNP are a bunch of obsessed, self-serving cnuts who believe in punishing people who are in any way successful and earn some decent coin.

Duh.

Also, because they're a UK citizen subject to local laws and rules and income tax is devolved in Scotland so, yeah, they should as far as law is concerned, pay the local rates.
If ya wanted a sensible answer. :D

Because the SNP are a bunch of obsessed, self-serving cnuts who believe in punishing people who are in any way successful and earn some decent coin.

Duh.

Also, because they're a UK citizen subject to local laws and rules and income tax is devolved in Scotland so, yeah, they should as far as law is concerned, pay the local rates.
If ya wanted a sensible answer. :D
But as centrally employed from Westminster then only the income tax levied from Westminster should apply...Wee Eck can go jump.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But as centrally employed from Westminster then only the income tax levied from Westminster should apply...Wee Eck can go jump.
Alas, that's not the law. From HMRC:

The location of your work, your employer or your pension provider is not directly relevant for determining Scottish taxpayer status. Nor is it relevant whether or not you regard yourself as being Scottish. Scottish taxpayer status is not a matter of choice.
All that matters is that you live the majority of your year in Scotland. Many other businesses have to follow suit when it's an English head office, etc.

Latest Threads