Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News story: Libyan cadets arrive in UK for training

The Libyan Forces are set to learn basic infantry skills and military leadership at Bassingbourn Camp in Cambridgeshire. They will be put through their paces on a course developed by the British Army and run by 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

The Libyan cadets’ arrival comes following an announcement made last year that the UK would help to train up to 2,000 Libyan troops.

In January this year, the Libyan Government agreed to fund a 24-week training programme for the first group of cadets, who have already undergone a screening and selection process in Libya. The MOD has been working closely with the Libyan Government to develop the package which will consist of 12 modules to include drill, marksmanship, fitness, first-aid, military discipline and the Law of Armed Conflict.

Secretary of State for Defence, Philip Hammond said:

I am pleased that the training of the Libyan General Purpose Force at Bassingbourn Camp has begun in earnest after several months of preparation. Over the next 24 weeks the British Army will deliver world-class training to the Libyan soldiers, which will better prepare them to support Libya’s transition to a stable and open democracy.

The cadet training is part of the General Purpose Force (GPF) programme. It fulfils the Prime Minister’s commitment, given at last year’s G8 Summit, to help the Libyan Government disarm and integrate militias and improve the security and stability of the country.

The MOD’s contribution to the GPF initiative is part of the wider ongoing political, economic, justice and security support the UK is providing to Libya. The British Government is supporting capacity building in Libya’s Government institutions including defence, border security, justice and police reform, public financial management and economic governance and diversification.

Continue reading...

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Be interesting to know which katibas supplied how many of these jokers. My guess is 30% Misratans, 15% Zintani, 15% Ansar and other Islamist imbeciles, 20% SSC and at most 20% proper Army recruits.

Hmm.. I wonder how many will disappear/claim asylum in the next few months?

loopintheP

War Hero
".........12 modules to include drill, marksmanship, fitness, first-aid, military discipline and the Law of Armed Conflict."

They'd be better off doing 24 weeks of Modules 2 & 4 as the rest is ineffectual bollocks.

As above, how many entered the UK in this scheme?
How many will be counted out to rebuild their country?
Answers please in 6 months time on a postcard and cc'd to Border Agency too,

Be interesting to know which katibas supplied how many of these jokers. My guess is 30% Misratans, 15% Zintani, 15% Ansar and other Islamist imbeciles, 20% SSC and at most 20% proper Army recruits.
A former boss of mine told a tale of organising a seminar for senior North African university staff after Gaddafi became our bestest pal again. The purpose was to 'build capacity', 'share best practice', 'gain insights' and all the other bollocks excuses that get trotted out for this sort of thing.

Of the Libyans who turned up, fewer than 1 in 10 actually worked for universities or even the Ministry of Education. The rest were just pals with the Libyan coordinator who fancied an overseas jolly.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
A former boss of mine told a tale of organising a seminar for senior North African university staff after Gaddafi became our bestest pal again. The purpose was to 'build capacity', 'share best practice', 'gain insights' and all the other bollocks excuses that get trotted out for this sort of thing.

Of the Libyans who turned up, fewer than 1 in 10 actually worked for universities or even the Ministry of Education. The rest were just pals with the Libyan coordinator who fancied an overseas jolly.
The Libyan "Navy" sent 20 jolly jack tars to the Netherlands for a six-week course to learn all about the RIBs they'd just been given as part of an aid package. Guesses as to how many turned up for more than a few days' training?

The Libyan "Navy" sent 20 jolly jack tars to the Netherlands for a six-week course to learn all about the RIBs they'd just been given as part of an aid package. Guesses as to how many turned up for more than a few days' training?

zero?

From the actual katibas, I'd say none!

They would have chosen people who have no affiliation, otherwise the whole point of taking them out of the country to train is completely redundant.

The katibas believe that they are part of the national army but also admit that their loyalties are:
Family, tribe and region (in that order). Their support to the nation is dependant whether it is their other loyalty's interest and have absolutely no loyalty to the government of the day.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
From the actual katibas, I'd say none!

They would have chosen people who have no affiliation, otherwise the whole point of taking them out of the country to train is completely redundant.

The katibas believe that they are part of the national army but also admit that their loyalties are:
Family, tribe and region (in that order). Their support to the nation is dependant whether it is their other loyalty's interest and have absolutely no loyalty to the government of the day.
I'd be absolutely amazed and stunned if this were actually the case. I can't see any of the armed groups tolerating the national power, such as it is, acquiring any real heft. It might be that, for purely cosmetic reasons, selected militiamen enlisted in the LNA in order to attend this training, but I have no doubt at all that the vast majority of the trainees will be from the... informal end of the spectrum.

You're right in that they won't tolerate any national influence just look what happened with Nicholas Davies and Gareth Montgomery-Johnson. The Government will not accept whole militias into any of the state sponsored security forces. The militias see themselves as part of the national defence but are in fact private armies.

In fact the national security forces are private armies who are not controlled by the government but the person running that department - hence so many different security forces.

The point of conducting the training outside the country was to take the people away from the tribal influences, This will not be achieved if the people are coming from the established militias. The militias will also not want to loose fighters for 24 weeks. Even for them to try and gain experience as will have to desert on their return.

The point of conducting the training outside the country was to take the people away from the tribal influences.
Good luck with that. The first question I was asked on arriving in KSA was "Who are your tribe?"

I've never been to Libya but the family, tribe, country thing is fairly universal in the Arab world and it binds, forever. Genuine question, are you going to ban mobile phones, twitter and Facebook? I don't think you are but they'll put the tribe in the classroom.

Good luck with that. The first question I was asked on arriving in KSA was "Who are your tribe?"

I've never been to Libya but the family, tribe, country thing is fairly universal in the Arab world and it binds, forever. Genuine question, are you going to ban mobile phones, twitter and Facebook? I don't think you are but they'll put the tribe in the classroom.

I wont be banning anything!

The point of the screening process was to ensure that only persons with no strong tribal/ militia links would be selected. You also have to understand where the "government" are going to send these guys when they come back, mainly to areas where the militia refuse to go.

Hmm.. I wonder how many will disappear/claim asylum in the next few months?
Damn, beaten to it.

Also, the cynic in me tells me this is yet another PR diplomatic exercise in order to improve trade relations, overseas personnel exchanges and so forth.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I wont be banning anything!

The point of the screening process was to ensure that only persons with no strong tribal/ militia links would be selected. You also have to understand where the "government" are going to send these guys when they come back, mainly to areas where the militia refuse to go.

Well, having talked to some of the happy souls who're going to be undergoing the training (admittedly last year, the whole "getting the Libyans to pay for the training" thing seems to have taken a touch longer than desirable), any hint of loyalty to the Libyan Ground Forces rather than, say, to Zintan, or Misrata, or the SSC, was faint in the extreme.

I may well be wrong and a very rigorous selection process which had the whole-hearted cooperation of the Chief of Staff and whoever was Minister of Defence that week may well have been undertaken, but I somehow doubt it.

any hint of loyalty to the Libyan Ground Forces rather than, say, to Zintan, or Misrata, or the SSC, was faint in the extreme.

And that's why they are taken out of the country in an attempt to build it.

The delay was due to the Libyans not understanding the exchange rate system. The price for the training was agreed in GBP which they then converted into LD. By the time they paid the value to the LD had dropped leaving a shortfall of several hundred thousand pounds. This then resulted in months of arguments with the Libyans saying that they had paid the agreed amount (LD) and the Brits saying that they were still short (GBP).

Latest Threads