News story: HMS Daring prepares for Pacific deployment

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, May 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Global Reach, balls. Global reach is being able to go where you like and do what you like without asking anyone else to help. The US has it, nobody else. And why? Because of their aircraft carrier groups.

However this is a reminder to all that we still (apparently) have treaty commitments in the S China Sea which is top of the hoist for me as a flashpoint with China.

3. Hope there are no sand banks...

4. That is an incredibly ugly ship, looks top heavy as hell too.

5. All modern naval warships look ugly to me. As for top heavy. Don't worry that round thing at the top of the mast if filled with helium.

6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I think functionally elegant. Could do with some more and bigger guns on the front. You can never have too many guns.

• Like Like x 3
  7. More than one 4.5"/5" gun?

8. Bouillabaisse

On a T45 the mighty 4.5 looks like a pop gun. It needs a couple more to impress the punters (one of the functions of the Royal Navy abroad). Possibly even a twin mount. Or you could have A and B turrets or even A and X.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Looks to have enough room to put in a pair of nice BFO 16" "you lookin' at me?" guns.

Mind you, looking at the height of the thing it would probably flip over with the recoil.

10. It's been downhill all the way since Rodney and Nelson.

BOWVIEW2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bouillabaisse

Yeah, she's ok. Could do with another turret fore and aft though.And only 16 inch guns?

12. For starters.

13. Give me a couple of Nazi Plan X 'wonder ships' any day - they were going to have 20" guns - truly an SLR for the naval community...

14. Why is Nelson being chased by a paddle-steamer?