News story: HMS Daring prepares for Pacific deployment

Ministry of Defence said:
The air defence warship will demonstrate the Navy’s global reach during the nine-month deployment which includes contributing to maritime security in the Asia-Pacific, conducting science and technology trials in the Pacific, and representing the UK in Exercise Bersama Lima – part of the Five Power Defence Arrangements annual programme of exercises in the region.
The deployment will also allow Daring and her 190 crew to represent the UK at high-profile celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of the Royal Australian Navy.
A series of port visits is also lined up for the warship to conduct regional defence engagement.

HMS Daring arriving in Portsmouth (library image) [Picture: Leading Airman (Photogapher) Claire Myers, Crown copyright]HMS Daring’s Commanding Officer, Commander Angus Essenhigh, said:
This exciting deployment will do much to build on existing alliances, establish and strengthen new relationships, and contribute to maritime security in the Asia-Pacific – a region in which Britain has historic trade and security links.
We will also remain ready to react to contingent operations should they arise.
HMS Daring will leave her home port of Portsmouth on 27 May.

More...

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Global Reach, balls. Global reach is being able to go where you like and do what you like without asking anyone else to help. The US has it, nobody else. And why? Because of their aircraft carrier groups.

However this is a reminder to all that we still (apparently) have treaty commitments in the S China Sea which is top of the hoist for me as a flashpoint with China.

That is an incredibly ugly ship, looks top heavy as hell too.
All modern naval warships look ugly to me. As for top heavy. Don't worry that round thing at the top of the mast if filled with helium.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
More than one 4.5"/5" gun?
On a T45 the mighty 4.5 looks like a pop gun. It needs a couple more to impress the punters (one of the functions of the Royal Navy abroad). Possibly even a twin mount. Or you could have A and B turrets or even A and X.

On a T45 the mighty 4.5 looks like a pop gun. It needs a couple more to impress the punters (one of the functions of the Royal Navy abroad). Possibly even a twin mount. Or you could have A and B turrets or even A and X.
Looks to have enough room to put in a pair of nice BFO 16" "you lookin' at me?" guns.

Mind you, looking at the height of the thing it would probably flip over with the recoil.

Give me a couple of Nazi Plan X 'wonder ships' any day - they were going to have 20" guns - truly an SLR for the naval community...