News story: F-35 jets use new vertical landing pads at RAF Marham for the first time

It could well be the case that simulation is so good that they do not need one, and can simply use the data gathered from the Pax River trials (and soon the trials aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth). I think the UK must be a world leader in modelling and simulation.

Who knew there were advantages to being a nation of cheapskates...?
I am not sure that makes us cheapskates - Mathematicians, Software Engineers, and others involved in building simulators do not come cheap. The expertise and capabilities should offer the UK real advantages economically. I wonder if our dimwitted politicians have thought of the commercial potential?

I take it there will be a re-formation of an RE Tin kicking Sqn in the same vein as 10 Sqn.

I am not sure that makes us cheapskates - Mathematicians, Software Engineers, and others involved in building simulators do not come cheap. The expertise and capabilities should offer the UK real advantages economically. I wonder if our dimwitted politicians have thought of the commercial potential?
The driver is "Oh God, look at the cost of flight hours". That's what makes us cheapskates.

The driver is "Oh God, look at the cost of flight hours". That's what makes us cheapskates.
Also the cost of destroyed or damaged airframes, and injured or dead test pilots. Is there any reason why doing something more cheaply is a bad thing?

I was thinking of things like the carrier landing simulations of F-35B that were being performed at Warton whilst all our jets were still in build or in the US, and the carriers were both in the builder's yard.

We'll find out soon enough as our carrier is en route to the states for live F35 trials.

I take it there will be a re-formation of an RE Tin kicking Sqn in the same vein as 10 Sqn.
If you mean to deploy aluminium matting for woodland hides, I very much doubt it.

Use of modem synthetics is far from an indication of being ‘cheapskates,’

Modern military aircraft have a great deal of sensor and other capabilities which simply cannot be employed in normal training due to security reasons unless you’re in a sanitised area many miles from the coast (eg the Tonopah Test Range in the US). This is particularly true of 5th Gen types. In contrast, the synthetic environment allows realistic employment of all systems and Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPs) away from hostile SIGINT and other intelligence gathering.

For instance, RAF sqns going to RED FLAG used to grab as much of their stn’s live flying as possible to optimise trg and skills prior to the exercise. These days Typhoon sqns actually reduce flying to prioritise on synthetic training!

There is of course a requirement to avoid ‘negative training’; a sim can’t replicate 9g for instance. However, modern sims are far from a ‘cheap’ option.

Regards,
MM

If you mean to deploy aluminium matting for woodland hides, I very much doubt it.

Modern military aircraft have a great deal of sensor and other capabilities which simply cannot be employed in normal training due to security reasons unless you’re in a sanitised area many miles from the coast (eg the Tonopah Test Range in the US). This is particularly true of 5th Gen types. In contrast, the synthetic environment allows realistic employment of all systems and Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPs) away from hostile SIGINT and other intelligence gathering.

For instance, RAF sqns going to RED FLAG used to grab as much of their stn’s live flying as possible to optimise trg and skills prior to the exercise. These days Typhoon sqns actually reduce flying to prioritise on synthetic training!

There is of course a requirement to avoid ‘negative training’; a sim can’t replicate 9g for instance. However, modern sims are far from a ‘cheap’ option.

Regards,
MM
Too right have you ever tried to take off in a F15E on Janes flight simulator?

Back in the day that cost me so many beers in the mess to gain the knowledge.

Also the cost of destroyed or damaged airframes, and injured or dead test pilots. Is there any reason why doing something more cheaply is a bad thing?

I was thinking of things like the carrier landing simulations of F-35B that were being performed at Warton whilst all our jets were still in build or in the US, and the carriers were both in the builder's yard.

Regards,
MM
Alright, alright, neck wound in. Interesting that there are scenarios where simulators are actually the preferred option.