News story: Defence Secretary sets sights on next century of British air power

The RAF and the RN will keep any offensive at long range. Thus obviating the need for ground forces other than “them”.

Recruiting will therefore become more glamorous and much easier. The diividend from the army decline can be used for improved quartering and allowances for the RN and the RAF.

The Prince Of Wales carrier is already being converted into a 5* hotel and recruitment office.

Not very unique then. Also not true...
Can the Tornado GR4 carry weapons Typhoon cannot? Also what about the RAPTOR Reece pod? I am sure I read somewhere that it needs a backseater, so a two seat Typhoon with a Nav/WSO in the back would have been ideal.

The Tornado was primarily intended as a bomber and could have a payload of 8x1000lb. Is the maximum payload of the Typhoon 4x1000lb?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Tornado was primarily intended as a bomber and could have a payload of 8x1000lb. Is the maximum payload of the Typhoon 4x1000lb?
Max Payload of Typhoon is just shy of 20,000lbs

Not very unique then. Also not true...
Yes and no.

The Dual Mode Seeker Brimstone (DMSB) and Storm Shadow (SS) provide capabilities that even the US have been unable to replicate (despite several attempts to find an equivalent to DMSB). As a result, there have been several occasions in ELLAMY and SHADER in particular where the US have specifically requested DMSB (low collateral weapon with an excellent capability against moving targets) or SS (precision, stand-off capability against deeply buried and hardened targets) effects.

The GR4 has also on occasion been the only asset capable of conducting low level Shows of Force in Afghanistan and SHADER during periods of bad weather due to its Terrain Following Radar; only the B-1B can replicate that.

Finally, the RAPTOR recce capability is highly valued; GR4s have provided a significant proportion of IMINT in SHADER.

Of the above, DMSB and SS have transitioned onto Typhoon but sadly RAPTOR has not due to lack of funding. That will be the biggest loss to UK PLC when the GR4 is finally pensioned off in March.

Can the Tornado GR4 carry weapons Typhoon cannot?...
Not anymore.

...Also what about the RAPTOR Reece pod? I am sure I read somewhere that it needs a backseater, so a two seat Typhoon with a Nav/WSO in the back would have been ideal.
RAPTOR will retire with the GR4 sadly; it's too costly to transfer to the Tiff although Litening III can partially offset the loss.

Likewise, you don't need a back-seater for any of the GR4 capabilities which have been integrated onto Typhoon because the cockpit is more automated and efficient and it has a better Helmet Mounted Sight. Indeed, our twin-stickers are all being retired as they're not even needed for conversion training anymore.

No.

However, while there is still a requirement for some big bangy things, the emphasis is arguably shifting to greater numbers of smaller, low-collateral but precision weapons such as DMSB and the US Small Diameter Bomb.

The advantage of the Typhoon is that it has exceptional performance so can carry pretty much any stores and weapons configuration with little impact on altitude and speed.

Just what they can fit on the hardpoints
These are probably fairly representitive loads:

For 'BVRAAM' read Meteor; for 'SRAAM' read ASRAAM. However, we tend to fly with 4 of each rather than the 6/2 mix shown here.

In terms of SS, they would offset the wing tanks (an extra centre-line tank could be carried instead, albeit at the expense of a Litening III pod) while up to 6 x DMSB can offset the 2 outboard bombs in the picture above as shown below.

Regards,
MM

Yes and no.
However, while there is still a requirement for some big bangy things, the emphasis is arguably shifting to greater numbers of smaller, low-collateral but precision weapons such as DMSB and the US Small Diameter Bomb.
MM
Agreed RE: smaller but precision munitions. I had foreseen that answer in part. I must admit hugely impressed at that (6x1000lb? bomb payload); it must unforeseen airframe stress however?

Agreed RE: smaller but precision munitions. I had foreseen that answer in part. I must admit hugely impressed at that (6x1000lb? bomb payload); it must unforeseen airframe stress however?
Tanks can weigh quite a bit too until the gas is gone. However, 6x EPW is a bit of an air show load; this is a more representative for SHADER.

However, I’d imagine that will soon change to something like this.

Regards,
MM