News story: Defence Secretary reaffirms commitment to fight against terror in Nigeria

The UK stands side by side with our Nigerian partners in the fight against violent extremism, the Defence Secretary reaffirmed in a visit to Nigeria.

Continue reading...

Well he'd hardly go to Nigeria and tell them "You're on your own, budget cuts mean we can hardly afford the proper brands of biscuit in the mess let alone deploy troops overseas to engage the enemy". Just out of interest what is the threat in Nigeria, except that they all want to live here.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well he'd hardly go to Nigeria and tell them "You're on your own, budget cuts mean we can hardly afford the proper brands of biscuit in the mess let alone deploy troops overseas to engage the enemy". Just out of interest what is the threat in Nigeria, except that they all want to live here.
Try this for a start

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/boko-haram-wipeout-town-possibly-2-000-dead.224627/

UKF has several training teams out in the country as we speak

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting article, thanks.

I worked there for quite a few years when the focus was on piracy, and specifically the MEND threat and all the copycats. Good to see that recent UK experience is being shared for the threat in the north east
I'd like to go back to see how things, last time I lived in Nigeria Buhari was in charge, but as a Military Dictator, Abuja is very different now from when I was a boy - major urban metropolis rather than a bush and shanty towns

Last edited:
I'd like to go back to see how things, last time I lived in Nigeria Buhari was in charge, but as a Military Dictator, Abuja is very different now from when I was a boy - major urban metropolis rather than a bush and shanty towns
That's ageing you =D I think you mean 'Military Head of State'. ;)

I was glad to see that Buhari jailed the man who put him in prison - something to do with a few billion - not Naira - going missing in the campaign against Boko Haram

Fair enough, just for once we might be doing something useful.
My only visit was aboard an aviation tanker from the states (my first job after the Royal Sigs), where I was masquerading as a welder with my father and another lad, fixing the air conditioning on the boat.... Its nice to see our training is still seen as useful, but surely Nigeria is rich enough to equip and train an effective army without our aid ??

t surely Nigeria is rich enough to equip and train an effective army without our aid ??
With all the oil there's money about, but does it get to the Nigerian government or does it end up in the hands of a few people who's tax affairs are in the Cayman Islands.

Slip some of those GBP and a couple of passports the way of the long in the tooth Saffers who have been training the Nigerian military and fighting BH for the last few years now. Probably do a lot more good than pouring it into the bottomless pit that is Nigeria.

Slip some of those GBP and a couple of passports the way of the long in the tooth Saffers who have been training the Nigerian military and fighting BH for the last few years now. Probably do a lot more good than pouring it into the bottomless pit that is Nigeria.
Ah Ja, toss him out the helo Ja.

With all the oil there's money about, but does it get to the Nigerian government or does it end up in the hands of a few people who's tax affairs are in the Cayman Islands.
Yes, my point exactly... If the British Government was driven by principles we would offer military aid, but condition it with real reform.

Latest Threads