News story: Dambusters to be first Lightning II squadron

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Jul 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. That would be nice, if they were ever going to actually be delivered.
  3. Clearly they have had the top cover to survive, very political...RAF PR/Protection machine

Remind me again why we are chopping Regiments like the Argylls, et al, who have distinguished themselves throughout history!
  4. In a speech to senior representatives of air forces from around the world, Sir Stephen explained that 617 Squadron, known as the ‘Dambusters’, are to disband on 1 April 2014 as part of the planned drawdown of the Tornado GR4 Force. The squadron will then reform in 2016 with both RAF and Royal Navy personnel and take delivery of the highly advanced Lightning II.

So...a squadron which won't exist for two years will be equipped with an aircraft we don't have in order to counter threats we don't know about on ops we don't know will happen.

How reassuring.

Let's hope nothing happens before 2016 eh?

• Like Like x 1
  5. We're not, 5 Scots are being kept as a company sized ceremonial unit for political reasons.
  6. sshhhh don't let rumour and falsehoods spoil the general bellthronks frothing off at everything RAF
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

More smoke & mirror bullshit from the MoD...Six Foot Shit WONT be the first F-35 squadron,17Sqn (my old Squadron at Bruggen) will be the first F-35 squadron,doing the same job they did with the Typhoon as an OCU/Evaluation unit,and they have already been disbanded in March this year in readyness for (if) the thing comes into service....
    But hey-ho,don't let the MoD get the facts correct when they could spin the news by having a more famous Squadron take the lead...
  8. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

More to the point, if 617 is stood down, what happens to the aircraft - how few Tonkas will we be left with whilst this masterpiece of PR is under way?
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

They'll be absorbed into other squadrons,a trend that has increased over the years since,unlike when I was on 17 when,say Tornado XV123 belonged to 17sqn & was flown by only 17sqn crews,the majority of aircraft now are pooled,so even if you see a 617 sqn jet running thru the Mach Loop,it may be crewed by bods from 31Sqn for example.
  10. Cold_Collation

So fleet numbers don't decrease, then? That's some reassurance.
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

They might by a couple airframes as the'll be some jets that have reached the end of their flying life ect,
  12. Cold_Collation

Yeah, I get that. It's just that the cynical (realistic?) part of me saw/sees a whole squadron disappearing and another cut being dressed as an enhancement... wouldn't be the first time.
  13. It will be jointed manned by RAF and RN personnel. Let's see if the joint-ness works.
  14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Will they be equipped with speshul trousers, hats, boots and belts at huge cost?
  15. No, they are going at company strength to Eddy Castle.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)