News story: Civil use of government aerodromes

The information provided in this article is aimed at improving education and clarification on the civil use of government aerodromes.

Continue reading...

If it is genuine, can I now land my 4 seater single engine piper Cherokee on any military airfield, with impunity, and not get slotted by the rock apes! and how about commercial airlines, or private helicopters, or am I being too simplistic? it has to be a wind up, surely!
Have you read the relevant documentation?

Civilian aircraft have been allowed to land at MoD airfields (with the requisite permissions and indemnities) for as long as I can remember. How do you think Dan Dare was able to fly trooping flights into Gutersloh during the Cold War?

Civilian aircraft have been allowed to land at MoD airfields (with the requisite permissions and indemnities) for as long as I can remember. How do you think Dan Dare was able to fly trooping flights into Gutersloh during the Cold War?
MOD Chartered flights full of squaddies, wife's and brats, yes, off the cuff planes full of chav holiday makers re-routed from costashithole via luton beacause of leaves on the tarmac, no. Emergency landings due to bird strikes, terrorists action on board, medical emergency's, maybe. I still think its a joke.

MOD Chartered flights full of squaddies, wife's and brats, yes, off the cuff planes full of chav holiday makers re-routed from costashithole via luton beacause of leaves on the tarmac, no. Emergency landings due to bird strikes, terrorists action on board, medical emergency's, maybe. I still think its a joke.
You fly a four seater and yet don't read documentation regarding where you should operate and how?

Yup, sums GA up nicely.

I wouldn't let you inside the fcuking MATZ (you may have to look that up).

NetJets fly from Northolt & want Brize as its easier to get too.
It makes sense as it brings in Landing Fees, Hanger Hire, Fuel and related costs/profit.

There was a request a few years ago to utilize RAF Shawbury for weekend GA Rotary & Fixed Wing Flying

Bertelsman flew their private aircraft into Gutersloh 3 or 4 times a week. Lots of the airports I worked at allowed civvie aircraft and it was the job of ATC to fill in the paperwork for the landing fees then get the pilot to sign it.

Biggles used to do it all the time.

And get Smyth to give his aircraft the once over while he called into the Mess for lunch.

@A signaller - read the document. There are 3 types of civilian use of mil airfields:

1. GA - eg Brize flying club.

2. Commercial flights into mil airfields for mil reasons. Eg Chartering Antonovs to move outsize loads. Chartering 747s for regimental moves to Canada or Belize or whatever.

3. Commercial flights into mil airfields for commercial reasons. Eg Bruce Dickinson's setup at St Athan.

In the 90s, I was posted to Brize for a while, and along with the VC10s and Tristars of the day, there were many kinds of aircraft using that runway or parked on the pan. 747s were a very common visitor, along with all kinds of civvy cargo aircraft. All kinds of single-engine and small twin civvy jobs, mostly on the weekends. I think most of those were to do with mil flying clubs, but some of them were just the Gp Capt (retd) Bigglingtons of the world enjoying their hobby. And why not? If you've got the brass to pay for the aircraft's operating costs, why not spring for the MOD landing fees and go see your old buddies and have lunch in the Mess*?

*Oh yeah, forgot. Mess is dead and the food is shite anyway :)

In the 90s, I was posted to Brize for a while, and along with the VC10s and Tristars of the day, there were many kinds of aircraft using that runway or parked on the pan. 747s were a very common visitor, along with all kinds of civvy cargo aircraft. All kinds of single-engine and small twin civvy jobs, mostly on the weekends.
Lossie had loads, newspaper (free papers for the tower and VASF when I went out to bill them) and mail flights every night as well as diversion early morning if the weather was out at the big Scottish airports.
Just remembered the worst thing about small GA aircraft coming in. Trying to work out the weight to bill them. No WorldWideInterNetWebThingie back in the day. Oh that and having to put glim lights around them at night, then get them back in the morning.

@A signaller - read the document. There are 3 types of civilian use of mil airfields:

1. GA - eg Brize flying club.

2. Commercial flights into mil airfields for mil reasons. Eg Chartering Antonovs to move outsize loads. Chartering 747s for regimental moves to Canada or Belize or whatever.

3. Commercial flights into mil airfields for commercial reasons. Eg Bruce Dickinson's setup at St Athan.

In the 90s, I was posted to Brize for a while, and along with the VC10s and Tristars of the day, there were many kinds of aircraft using that runway or parked on the pan. 747s were a very common visitor, along with all kinds of civvy cargo aircraft. All kinds of single-engine and small twin civvy jobs, mostly on the weekends. I think most of those were to do with mil flying clubs, but some of them were just the Gp Capt (retd) Bigglingtons of the world enjoying their hobby. And why not? If you've got the brass to pay for the aircraft's operating costs, why not spring for the MOD landing fees and go see your old buddies and have lunch in the Mess*?

*Oh yeah, forgot. Mess is dead and the food is shite anyway :)
Mid 90's I done the electrics in the project UNITER bunkers in Brize, and Odihem airfields, they never did tell us what they were for, we suspected that they were EMP proof comcens.

Last edited:
With Manston's long runway currently not approved by the CAA now for commercial flights, company's that need a long runway in the UK like the big Antonov's it is easier to utilize military longer runways and the infrastructure they have in place already to handle large multi engined aircrafts.

Don't think it would happen these days given the amount of private fire cover firms there are, but years back the RAF covered an ad hoc runway for a ploughing match with a surptising number of poor farmers flying in

Ah, phew. The skies are safe. So what's your beef? It's not an April Fool's beyond the fact that most things @MoD_RSS comes out with are utter fuckwittery?
It seems I got it wrong, its just my understanding of the use of military airstrips-landing sites-airdromes. Air charters to fly the lads and their familys, I understand, having flown to and from UK via Britannia from Luton, and charters to supplement emergency aid to war & disaster zones, I understand, everything else civvie would use civvie airports,.... wouldn't they? My Bold, is what you confirm, and that is what prompted my original post. Had it been any other day of the year, it would not have registered. END.

Last edited:

Latest Threads