News story: Armoured manoeuvres underway on Salisbury Plain

Ministry of Defence said:
The exercise, which takes place 3 times a year, is the final element of the combat and combat support arms sub-unit commanders’ course. It consists of a full armoured battle group and involves all the principal phases of war.
Manoeuvres include a squadron of 14 Challenger 2 tanks from A Squadron, 2nd Royal Tank Regiment, including close reconnaissance mounted in 8 combat vehicle reconnaissance tracked vehicles, and 2 Warrior companies in more than 30 vehicles provided by 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh.

Armoured manoeuvres on Salisbury Plain Training Area during Exercise Lion Strike [Picture: Crown copyright]The 5-day exercise runs until 24 May and is an essential element of the tactical training of majors before they take over command of their companies and squadrons.
Salisbury Plain Training Area is maintained by the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), which delivers the Training Service, enabling Defence training users to live, work and deploy at home and overseas.
Commenting on the exercise Lieutenant Colonel Mark Hiskett, Principal Training Safety Officer, DIO Ops Training South West, said:
DIO’s priority is to support our Armed Forces as they prepare for operations. Salisbury Plain is the only training area in the UK where such large scale armoured manoeuvres training can take place.
The DIO safety staff at Salisbury Plain have a key role to play this week. They are keeping a very close eye on training to ensure that it is safe and not detrimental to the environment.
Lieutenant Colonel Hiskett added that DIO staff are also ensuring that the exercise does not come into contact with the many other military units using the Plain at the same time.
At over 38,000 hectares (94,000 acres) Salisbury Plain is the UK’s largest training area and offers first-class and diverse training facilities to enable the British Army to meet its training requirements to prepare for operations worldwide.

More...

Today's news:

Our Army is conitnuing to train - with the utmost enthusiasm - for the conflicts it is least likely ever to have to fight.

Mark Hiskett: well done.

Today's news:

Our Army is conitnuing to train - with the utmost enthusiasm - for the conflicts it is least likely ever to have to fight.

Mark Hiskett: well done.
It's a type of war we've fought twice since 1990, and the type of war that the Israelis had forgotten about in 2006 when Hezbollah kicked their arrse...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It's a type of war we've fought twice since 1990, and the type of war that the Israelis had forgotten about in 2006 when Hezbollah kicked their arrse...

Do **** off. Look closely at our record, and you'll find that we fight less efficiently now than we did in 1944, or in 1991,

Inefficiently defeating the piss-poor Army of a tinpot dictator (only then to get whupped in Basra, by his enemies) is not the same thing as meeting the security needs of the UK in the 21st Century.

Why the different paint jobs?
Oh gosh yes, those hastily issued training fleet AFVs have been painted differently! Let's paint them all now, right now, every last one gleaming like peas in a pod, the whole damned fleet, it has to be worth it so that you can rest easy!

How many MBTs does Ireland have these days and are they both on the road?
None actually

What I'm saying is that with 1 squadron of tanks and 2 Coys of armd inf that gives you 3 possible coy/sqn command appointments to rotate people on the course through. Plus probably staff appointments and BGHQ.

It's a 5 day ex lets say for arguments sake there is 5 appointments available for the students. That's 25 appointments (for 1 day each).

Either there is very few students or they don't get much practice.

We should bin that NBC bollox; last used WW1.:winkrazz:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
None actually

What I'm saying is that with 1 squadron of tanks and 2 Coys of armd inf that gives you 3 possible coy/sqn command appointments to rotate people on the course through. Plus probably staff appointments and BGHQ.

It's a 5 day ex lets say for arguments sake there is 5 appointments available for the students. That's 25 appointments (for 1 day each).

Either there is very few students or they don't get much practice.

Hmm have ever had a royal ulster tank corps?

this is like the old Ex Phantom Bugle frpm the 80's aint it?
Very similar I believe although Ex PB lasted until well into the 2000s - I did it in 2004.

For irlsgt and others, there are plenty of appointments other than the obvious ones. I think I managed to cram in tank commander, MFC, recce platoon commander, MBT Sqn Comd, WR platoon sgt and a few others that I've forgotten. Certainly on my course, the main aim was to famil you with with the various different roles within an Armd BG rather than purely test you in comd appointments.

Having spent a couple of years in staff appointments it was also an ideal opportunity to dig your field kit out. You also got to shake out the cobwebs in front of troops who you probably weren't ever going to see again!

Very similar I believe although Ex PB lasted until well into the 2000s - I did it in 2004.

For irlsgt and others, there are plenty of appointments other than the obvious ones. I think I managed to cram in tank commander, MFC, recce platoon commander, MBT Sqn Comd, WR platoon sgt and a few others that I've forgotten. Certainly on my course, the main aim was to famil you with with the various different roles within an Armd BG rather than purely test you in comd appointments.

Having spent a couple of years in staff appointments it was also an ideal opportunity to dig your field kit out. You also got to shake out the cobwebs in front of troops who you probably weren't ever going to see again!
"Succinctly put, sah", Q Flags salutes, turns swiftly about and marches back to the Trg Wing (badly, because he's a Sapper).