News story: Armistice 2018

Sunday 11 November 2018 marks the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.

The day will recognise the significance of the end of the First World War, and the sacrifice made by so many men and women during this period.

If you’re holding a commemorative or bell-ringing event marking the centenary of the end of the First World War, you can add your event to the Armistice 100 Map where you can also search for local events near you.

Further information

Continue reading...

“In that cavalry mess I heard queer conversations. Those officers belonged to the old families of England, the old caste of aristocracy, but the foul outrage of the war—the outrage against all ideals of civilization—had made them think, some of them for the first time, about the structure of social life and of the human family. They hated Germany as the direct cause of war, but they looked deeper than that and saw how the leaders of all great nations in Europe had maintained the philosophy of forms and had built up hatreds and fears and alliances over the heads of the peoples whom they inflamed with passion or duped with lies. ‘The politicians are the guilty ones,’ said one cavalry officer. ‘I am all for revolution after this bloody massacre. I would hang all politicians, diplomats, and so-called statesmen with strict impartiality.'”
Under a Spell - The Armistice at 100 - Unintended Consequences

Sunday 11 November 2018 marks the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.

The day will recognise the significance of the end of the First World War,
Only the signing of that armistice (the last of four signed in 1918) was not the end of the war. The Treaty of Versailles was signed 28 June 1919, but was deemed to have come into effect only on 10 January 1920 - the actual end of the war. The CWGC regard 31 August 1921 as the last date for WW1 casualties because, those armistices notwithstanding, British soldiers were still being killed in the fallout from the war - the 3rd Afghan War ended on 8 August 1919 and in Russia the last British troops left the north on 12 October 1919 and the south sometime in March 1920. 25/Middlesex didn't leave Vladivostok until September 1919. And then there's the 28th Division in Turkey.....

Latest Threads