News story: Armed forces on parade at Pride in London

Personnel from all 3 services celebrated their diversity on Saturday 28 June by marching in the UK’s biggest gay pride event in London.

More than 130 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) serving personnel and heterosexual ‘LGBT Allies’ marched together in uniform at Pride in London to celebrate the freedom for LGBT people to live their lives without discrimination.

Army personnel marching at Pride in London [Picture: Nicolas Chinardet]

This is the seventh time armed forces personnel have marched at Pride, and comes as the services approach the 15th year anniversary of the end of the ban on gay personnel.

Since the ban was lifted, all 3 services and MOD have worked hard to create inclusive workplaces and all have featured in the Stonewall top 100 index of LGBT-friendly employers.

Royal Navy personnel taking part in Pride in London [Picture: Nicolas Chinardet]

As Pride in London took place on Armed Forces Day, the event was also an opportunity for personnel to represent their respective service and demonstrate their own personal pride in their uniform.

Following the main Pride parade through central London, service personnel marched down Whitehall to salute the fallen at the Cenotaph in poignant recognition of the many LGBT people who have served Britain throughout history.

Royal Air Force personnel marching through Piccadilly Circus in London [Picture: Nicolas Chinardet]

All photographs kindly provided by Nicolas Chinardet. For more pictures from the event, visit Nicolas’ Flickr page.

Continue reading...

Cool. When do the heterosexuals form up to celebrate their diversity?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Parading in uniform at a political event.

Looking at the top picture with the assorted capbadges - is that all of you now?

I await-with breath only slightly bated-for the first Armed Forces contingent to the Dyslexics Pirde parade, or the Bi-Polar Pride/No, It Isn't, Everythings Black/Nope, I've Cheered Up Again march.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
No doubt the MoD will zealously measure and announce how many of this variety of persuasions it has succeeded in recruiting. It cannot of course measure if there are any who, by this sort of parade, are put off from applying.

SPIDER38

On ROPS
On ROPs
PC is making a mockery of the military ...it might be making it more attractive to some but to others its getting more and more unattractive,we need dog rough men not liberal values...

i bet the russians are petriefied ....

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
PC is making a mockery of the military ...it might be making it more attractive to some but to others its getting more and more unattractive,we need dog rough men not liberal values...

You've never seen a dog rough gay person who doesn't have liberal values?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
The UK allowed gays into the military 18 years ago. For the past few years the MOD has allowed gay and trans service people to attend in uniform to make the point that such people have a role in the modern military.

And every year the old and bold whinge like five year olds who have been deprived of their smarties.

The world has changed. Deal with it.

How I miss the old days when they would be forced to run a gauntlet of pick helve wielding Squaddies from their own Platoon or Company as we bid them a not so fond farewell to their dishonourable discharge.

I guess that was one way of dealing with it Mr Fingerz....and pretty effective too!

Well I think they all look very smart.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Well I don't but then I wasn't famous for looking smart.
Good luck to them.
There were a fair few I knew in the army as did others when it was illegal, they were good sqaddies and it only became a problem if a stupid orifice became aware. We lost some good people that way.

I suspect losing 2 wars has had a greater effect.
And most soldiers I knew had pretty intelligent/liberal views.

The UK allowed gays into the military 18 years ago. For the past few years the MOD has allowed gay and trans service people to attend in uniform to make the point that such people have a role in the modern military.

And every year the old and bold whinge like five year olds who have been deprived of their smarties.

The world has changed. Deal with it.
Au contraire: the issue of gay/not gay serving in uniform does not/has not affected me one jot.

My confusion is, after 18 years of establishing this policy, why Handbrake House believe that military participation in the subject event is newsworthy.

Last edited:
Well I don't but then I wasn't famous for looking smart.
Good luck to them.
There were a fair few I knew in the army as did others when it was illegal, they were good sqaddies and it only became a problem if a stupid orifice became aware. We lost some good people that way.
In my time it could become a problem if anyone got to know that there was something happening which was hidden because of the associated guilt. At Buller in Aldershot in 1970, for instance, a Sergeant found in one of the blocks with a male recruit was beaten into prolonged hospital residence, while nine years later in Bielefeld one of the most likeable and popular blokes among the 1BR Corps Cpls was openly homosexual (but I don't think he was ever asked about it).

9 Sigs (of course...) had a few scandals, which said more about the vetting system than anything else.

The deeply objectionable thing about the whole issue is that if I were to voice a true opinion contrary to the current fashionable consensus I would probably be charged with a real, actual crime, just as I would be deemed a criminal to express an honestly felt opinion on race, feminism or certain foreign cultures. It's safer, as they used to say in Magdeburg, just to keep schtumm. Which, for England, is a shame.