Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

[News] Statement on Army Reserves, 3 July 12.30pm (est.)

DOT

Old Salt
Note - This is an alert for upcoming business inside the Chamber of the House of Commons. We encourage discussion and comments concerning the topic or content of the debate.
DOT apologises for the late posting but the statement was only announced this morning.

The statement will be streamed live on Parliament TV Player (Silverlight or Windows Media Player are required to stream Parliament TV)

Statement: Reserve Forces
The statement is expected to announce details about the structure and basing of the Army Reserve – as included in the MOD’s White Paper on Reserve Forces due out imminently.

Wednesday 3 July. The statement from the Secretary of State for Defence is expected to commence between 12.30pm and 1pm, following the conclusion of Questions to the Prime Minister. Timings are approximate as Parliamentary business is subject to change.

DOT will attempt to upload the statement to ARRSE as soon as possible after the Minister re-takes his seat inside the Chamber.

The contents of the statement might be of particular interest to those who posted on the http://www.arrse.co.uk/house-commons/199787-army-2020-regular-army-territorial-army.html thread.

There will also be a written statement released today on Army Reserve: Structure and basing. We will link to this statement when it becomes available.

We also expect the Defence Reform Bill to be presented in Parliament today by Secretary Philip Hammond:Bill to make provision in connection with any arrangements that may be made by the Secretary of State with respect to the provision to the Secretary of State of defence procurement services; to make provision relating to defence procurement contracts awarded, or amended, otherwise than as a result of a competitive process; to make provision in relation to the reserve forces of the Crown; and for connected purposes.
(Further information when available)

About Statements:
After Question Time (and any urgent questions that may have been allowed) a government minister may make an oral statement to the House. The statements usually relate to matters of policy or government actions. At the end of a statement MPs can respond or question the government minister on its contents.

The Secretary of State for Defence: With permission, Mr Speaker, I wish to make a statement on the future of our Reserve Forces. In November last year, I announced a formal consultation which lasted until January this year. I am grateful for the more than 3,000 responses we received; I have placed copies of the summary of consultation findings in the Library of the House.

More than 25,000 reservists from all three services have deployed on operations over the last 10 years;. Sadly, 30 have paid the ultimate price, and I know the whole House will want to join me in saluting their sacrifice.

In 2011, the Future Reserves 2020 Commission reported that our reserves were in serious decline. This Government responded by committing to revitalise our Reserve Forces as part of Future Force 2020, reversing the decline of the recent past, growing their trained strength to 35,000 by 2018 and investing an additional £1.8Bn in them over 10 years.

Mr Speaker, we recognise the extraordinary commitment reservists make and in return, we commit to deliver the Reservist a challenging and rewarding experience, combined with an enhanced remuneration and support package and an improved deal for employers. But to recruit the Reserves we need and train and equip them to be fit for purpose in Future Force 2020 requires substantial change.

I am today publishing a White Paper setting out our vision for the Reserve Forces and the detail of how we will make Reserve Service more attractive. It also confirms our intention to change the name of the Territorial Army to Army Reserve, better to reflect the future role.

Alongside the White Paper, I am publishing the first report of the independent External Scrutiny Group which I announced last year to oversee and report on our progress in delivering Future Reserves 2020.

The White Paper reiterates our commitment to improve access to modern equipment and provide better training as part of the £1.8Bn package. £200 million will be invested in equipment for the Army Reserve and to kick start that programme I can announce today that we will bring forward to this year, £40m of investment in new dismounted close combat equipment – meaning upgraded weapons and sights, night vision systems, and GPS capabilities will start to be delivered to reserve units before the end of the year.

The integration of Regulars and Reserves is key to Future Force 2020. That integration prompts a closer alignment of the structure of remuneration across the Armed Forces. We have therefore decided to increase reservists’ total remuneration in two ways: through the provision, for the first time, of a paid annual leave entitlement in respect of training days and through the accrual of pension entitlements under the new Future Armed Forces Pension Scheme 2015, for time spent on training as well as when mobilised. These two measures represent a substantial percentage increase in total Reserve remuneration.

The White Paper sets out details of an improved package of occupational health support for reservists, to underpin operational fitness. We will also ensure that effective welfare support is delivered to reservists, and their families. Welfare officers are being recruited now for Army Reserve units.

We have, additionally, already implemented measures to streamline and incentivise the process by which those leaving the Regular forces can transfer to the volunteer reserve – with accelerated processing, passporting of medical and security clearances and retention of rank, as well as a “signing-on” bounty of £5,000 for ex-regulars and for direct entry officers joining the Army Reserve.

Mr Speaker, the support of employers is crucial to delivering the Future Reserve Forces. We seek to strengthen Defence’s relationships with employers so that they are open and predictable.

The White Paper sets out how we will make liability for call up more predictable; make it easier for them to claim the financial assistance that is already available; increase financial support for SME’s by introducing a £500 per month, per Reservist, financial award to small and medium enterprises, when their reservist employees are mobilised; and improve civilian-recognised training accreditation to help employers to benefit from reserve training and skills.

The White Paper signals a step change in Defence’s offer to Employers. I urge them to take up this challenge. In turn, by building on the Armed Forces Covenant with the introduction of the Corporate Covenant, we will ensure that reservist employers get the recognition they deserve.

However, while Defence is fully committed to an open and collaborative relationship with employers, it is essential that the interests of reservists are protected. Dismissal of Reservists on the grounds of their mobilised Reserve Service is already illegal. We will legislate in the forthcoming Defence Reform Bill to ensure access to Employment Tribunals in claims for unfair dismissal on grounds of Reserve Service, without a qualifying employment period.

Mr Speaker, the job we are asking our reservists to do is changing; the way we organise and train them will also have to change. That will impact on both force structure, and basing laydown.

The force structures and roles of the maritime and air reserves will remain broadly similar to now, although increased in size and capability.

The Army, however, has had to substantially redesign its reserve component to ensure Regular and Reserve capabilities seamlessly complement each other in an integrated structure designed for the future role..

That redesigned structure has been driven primarily by the changed function and roles of the Army Reserve and the need to reach critical mass for effective sub-unit training.

Mr Speaker, the details of the future Army Reserve structure are complex and beyond what could coherently be explained in an oral statement. I have therefore laid a Written Ministerial Statement, supported by detailed documents which have been placed in the Library of the House, showing the complete revised Order of Battle of the reserve component of Army 2020.

This restructuring will require changes to the current basing laydown of the Army Reserves. The TA currently operates from 334 individual sites around the United Kingdom, including a number of locations with small detachments of fewer than 30 personnel. Some of these sites are seriously under-recruited. To maximise the potential for future recruitment, the Army determined that, as it translates its revised structure into a basing laydown, it should take the opportunity to rationalise its presence, merging small, poorly recruited sub-units, into larger sites in the same conurbation or in neighbouring communities. As part of this exercise, the Army Reserve will open or re-open nine additional Reserve sites.

However. the consolidation of all poorly recruited units would have led to a significant reduction in basing footprint and a significant loss of presence in some, particularly rural, areas. I have decided this would not be appropriate as we embark on a major recruitment campaign. We will therefore retain a significant number of small and under-recruited sites, which the Army considers could become viable through effective recruiting. The units on those sites will be challenged to recruit up to strength in the years ahead.

Over the next couple of years, we will work with local communities, through the Army’s regional Chain of Command, to target recruitment into those units. I know that Hon and Rt Hon Members will want to lead their local communities in rising to this challenge.

The result of the decisions I am announcing today is that the overall number of Army Reserve bases will reduce from the current total of 334 to 308, a net reduction of 26 sites.

With your permission Mr Speaker, I am distributing a summary sheet which identifies Reserve locations being opened, and those being vacated.

Mr Speaker, the White Paper and the WMS on structure and basing, together set the conditions to grow and sustain our reserves as we invest an additional £1.8Bn over 10 years in our vision for the integrated reserves of Future Force 2020.

That vision means an even bigger contribution from our reservists, and from employers as we expand the Reserve forces. I am confident that both will rise to the challenge.

For the first time in 20 years, the Reserves are on an upward trajectory. Those of us who are neither reservists nor employers can nonetheless provide vital support and encouragement to our fellow citizens who make such a valuable contribution to delivering our national security and I know that members on all sides of the House will want to take the lead in urging our communities to get behind the Reserves and the recruiting drive that will build their strength to the target level over the next 5 years.

I commend this statement to the House.

Note - this should be checked against delivery - there may be some slight variances between this statement and the one delivered on the floor of the House.

DOT now has the lists for the ARMY 2020 RESERVE STRUCTURE AND BASING CHANGES.
We will attempt to put up all information we have - please bear with us!

Please bear in mind this information could be subject to change and is the information forwarded to us.

Site summary: New or re-opened Reserve Sites:

Site
Force
ARMY

Kinnegar Bks
Belfast
N Ireland
Army
Batley TAC
Bradford
Yorks & Humbs
Army
Bristol
Bristol
Wessex
Army
Redford Cav Bks
Edinburgh
Lowlands
Army
St George's Bks
N Luffenham
East Midlands
Army
LWC
Warminster
Wessex
Army
Rochester Row TAC
Westminster
London
Army
Carver Bks
Wimbish
East Anglia
Army
Yeovil TAC
Yeovil
Wessex
Army
NAVY

Cardiff
Cardiff
Wales
Navy
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Lowlands
Navy
RAF

RAF Woodvale
Formby
North West
RAF
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
East Midlands
RAF

Total:

Site Summary: Surplus Sites

Site
Force
ARMY

Armagh TAC
Armagh
N Ireland
Army
Ashington TAC
Ashington
North East
Army
St John's Hill TAC
Battersea
London
Army
Berwick-upon-Tweed TAC
Berwick-upon-Tweed
North East
Army
Eden Armoury TAC
Bishop Auckland
North East
Army
Belleview Bks
Bradford
Yorks & Humbs
Army
Coltman House TAC
Burton-upon-Trent
West Midlands
Army
Caernarfon TAC
Caernarfon
Wales
Army
Clapham TAC
Clapham
London
Army
Myrtle St TAC
Crewe
North West
Army
Bothwell House TAC
Dunfermline
Highlands
Army
Dunoon TAC
Dunoon
Highlands
Army
McDonald Rd TAC
Edinburgh
Lowlands
Army
Stanney Lane TAC
Ellesmere Port
North West
Army
Carmunnock Rd TAC
Glasgow
Lowlands
Army
Newport TAC
Isle of Wight
South East
Army
Keighley TAC
Keighley
Yorks & Humbs
Army
Keith TAC
Keith
Highlands
Army
Kidderminster TAC
Kidderminster
West Midlands
Army
Kirkcaldy TAC
Kirkcaldy
Highlands
Army
Townsend Ave TAC
Liverpool
North West
Army
Argyll Road TAC
Llandudno
Wales
Army
Ardwick Green TAC
Manchester
North West
Army
Stockton Road TAC
Middlesbrough
North East
Army
Northallerton TAC
Northallerton
Yorks & Humbs
Army
Redhill TAC
Redhill
South East
Army
London Rd TAC
Romford
London
Army
Seabrooke House TAC
Rugby
West Midlands
Army
New Broad Street TAC
Stratford upon Avon
West Midlands
Army
Swaffham TAC
Swaffham
East Anglia
Army
Walsall TAC
Walsall
West Midlands
Army
Washington TAC
Washington
North East
Army
Wick TAC
Wick
Highlands
Army
Ubique Bks
Widnes
North West
Army
Duncombe Bks
York
Yorks & Humbs
Army
NAVY

DORSET HOUSE
Bristol
Wessex
Navy
RMR HENLEY
Henley-on-Thames
South East
Navy
HMS SHERWOOD
Nottingham
East Midlands
Navy

Total:

Very surprised 2 Sig Sqn site in Dundee is not on the list, particularly with the large amount of spare capacity at Oliver Barracks (225 Med Regt).

Very surprised 2 Sig Sqn site in Dundee is not on the list, particularly with the large amount of spare capacity at Oliver Barracks (225 Med Regt).

EScotia - there might be more information to post up.

Bear with us!
DOT

Dear all - DOT has access to a deposited paper detailing ARMY 2020 reserve structure and basing changes - this is a 41 page PDF which is not currently available on-line however for the next fifteen minutes DOT can tell you what is happening to your locations if you can provide us with your SUB-UNIT.

Please note - this information should be available in full tomorrow and we will link to the full document tomorrow morning. Should you want an answer now, please do make a request.

64 (City of Sheffield)
Signal Squadron
Resubordinates from 38th Signal Regiment
current location - Sheffield, Nottingham and Leeds
future location - Sheffield and Nottingham
Notes - No later than Jul 14 Nil