news of the world relpy

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sciff69uk, Feb 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. after reading about the news of the world's report on british troops i sent them an e-mail

this was there reply

2. msr

msr LE

"It sells our newspaper, so f**k you" then...

msr

3. That is disgusting, drafted reply from a computer almost. I hope no Armed force establishment on any British military base will sell the NOTW anymore.

4. Sciff you have hit the nail on the head.
    I reakon there is some underlying agenda going on.

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's probably just me but where in their reply did they answer the above question that you asked? Looks like a fairly standard 'fill in the blanks and hope he goes away' response.

Have you pressed them again for an answer?

Edit to add: I was referring to the hypocrisy of not publishing the cartoons but British soldiers being fair game^

6. not yet as during the week i dont have access to my e-mail acount through dii at work but i will be

7. I'm no fan of the NOTW, and have slagged them off before on this website, but let's be fair to them on this occasion. What else could they have done? We are getting all wound up because it paints the Army in a bad light, and supposedly inciting the Muslim world to further violence (as if the various factions already in Iraq actually needed any excuse). But would you deny that this story is in the public interest? I wouldn't.
    If you were the editor of a National red top, and someone offered to sell you that sort of video footage, which is a scoop by any standards and would seriously increase your circulation, would you have supressed it?
    Course you wouldn't, because you would have been out of a job the very next day. And if you did turn it down, you can be damn sure that one of your many competitors would have ran the story anyway.
    However, I take your point about the cartoons; I view that to be in the public interest too, so by the same token they should have been published so we could all see what the fuss was about.

8. All well being , But it is the responsibility of the press not to inflame delicate situations further by printing about stuff that happened 2 yrs ago.
    NOTW SCUM , Yea i agree in freedom of speech but in the current political climate they of all people should act more responsible,
    As should all media.

9. i get your point S_N... and it was a knee jurk reaction to reading the story. i just get sick of the armed forces constantly getting shown in a bad light...
    the timing in regards to the cartoon rubish was crap and the 'cut and paste' answer i got from the NOTW was also crap

10. While I'm not a fan of the NOTW, I can't see how they could have put the article more sensitively. (I assume that the e-mail is an accurate reflection of what was printed - I haven't read it).

If they hadn't printed it, somebody else would have, perhaps with a distinctly anti-Army slant to it. It can't be denied that what was seen in the video exceeds what is acceptable. Yes, it's understandable, and many of us, myself included, would rate it justified. But that doesn't alter the fact that justice not the same as law or regulation.

The western press feeds on the western people's sensitivites, many of whom have no real inkling about life in the outside world. I've seen worse beatings given out by Iraqi foremen to their labourers (and even managers) for errors that, in the UK, would hardly rate a telling-off. That is their accepted way of life. Now that compensation culture has invaded Iraq, thanks to commission-grabbing lawyers, Iraqis now adopt a two-level sense of sensitivity. If manhandled by a soldier, claim against the "rich" British Government; if man-handled by another Iraqi, accept the beating because nothing will be gained.

Having a go at the NOTW is a case of shooting the messenger. Those in the wrong were those in the video, but justice (rather than law) should dismiss the issue on the grounds of provocation. On the other hand, the soldier with the camera, and more particularly, the scumbag that sold the film on, deserve no sympathy. It is they that have brought the issue to the attention of the mis-guided public and in doing so have magnified the issue to the extent that the job of the operational soldier is made that much harder and more dangerous.

11. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Sadly I am not remotely interested in any justification printed by the NOTW.

This is a rag that has spent over 30 years surviving by destroying the lives of innocent people.

Anyone who was a sentient being in the 70s and 80s will remember their infiltration of wifeswapping rings for no reason other than to sell papers. These people were harming nobody except perhaps risking their own relationships.

Also, keep in mind that this filthy rag is just the Sunday edition of The Sun.....the newspaper that supports our boys.

I hope their entire staff, including the cat that catches the mice, die of a pox; they work for a filthy organ and they deserve to die as a consequence of a filthy organ.

12. I do remember. I remember the outraged moral tone that they adopted whenever they uncovered anything faintly related to sex in suburbia. And then I'd turn the page to see a double page spread of the latest "part-time model" posing in very little, and giving the world her version of how she picked up some footballer and let him shag her senseless. It's a joke publication that panders to the lowest common denominator, and I have never bought it in my adult life.

13. :D Hello...yes it's all poo and i would like to draw your attention to the following petition......(yes I know there are some grammatical errors for you smart arses - but hey it's worth a go , not as if it costs you anything......)

http://www.petitiononline.com/UKarmy1/

Go on, if you've got the balls then sign the petition!!! :D

14. OK so now realise that there is post re this on 'other halves' bit....well quite frankly they should have taken the ball by the horns and posted further up :D :wink: .....

Please do sign and send the link on to yer muckers.....

lots of love
    TC
    xx

15. I always read the latest scum/notw world shocked and outraged story about drugs and sex wondering how much the journo has done or would like to do themsleves