news of the world relpy

after reading about the news of the world's report on british troops i sent them an e-mail

I find it a tad ironic that your paper will not
print "offensive" cartoons in case it causes unrest amongst the muslim
population...but you are perfectly happy to print a story that may
cause an increase in attacks on British troops? Must just be me, then. thanks
for the support for our troops who have enough on thier plate being
away from thier families without you making it harder on them by putting
them in more danger.
this was there reply

Thank you for your email regarding the Army video expose.

At the News of the World, we are always interested in the wide-ranging
opinions of our millions of readers.

Although we respect your views, our position remains that we stand by
the publication of our story.

We did not publish without very careful consideration. However, not
publishing would have been unthinkable. It's why the press exists. A
journalist's job is to make accountable the institutions which act on
behalf of the public - however unpalatable the information is.

We cannot apologise for that.

We remain 100% committed - as we have always been - to our troops
wherever they are serving globally. We believe that's clear to anyone
who regularly reads the News of the World.

Here's a copy of the leading article we ran on Sunday. It explains our
position more fully.

News of the World

Below is a copy of the editorial leader published in last Sunday's News
of the World:

BRITISH troops are the best in the world-renowned for their
professionalism as much as their bravery and they are rightly the envy
of the world.

Facing an almost impossible task in Iraq they deserve nothing less than
our total support.

But today is a black day for the Army.

The video we reproduce is shameful and justifiably it will send
shockwaves round the globe.

Of course we do not publish this disturbing material in haste, but with
regret. Yet publish we must.

That said, those responsible for the events we depict must be
identified
and brought to book.

Our troops simply cannot be allowed to behave in this way-how- ever
bad
the provocation.

Remember the prophetic words of Lt Col Tim Collins on the eve of battle
in Iraq.

Unless their conduct was of the highest, he warned his men, their deeds
would follow them down through history, bringing shame on their
uniforms
and nation.

The winning of hearts and minds has been the central strategy in our
Iraq campaign.

That's why there can be no cover-up for those whose savage behaviour
has
disgraced, and perhaps even endangered, their service colleagues.

Unhappily, this video record of brutality does nothing to help the
battle on the troubled streets of Iraq.

But it must NOT be used to devalue the outstanding work being done by
the men and women of the armed services. Duties carried out almost
entirely with enviable self-control, honour, dignity and valour.

And before extremists seize upon the video for their own twisted
agendas
we say this:

It is our very way of life-with its cherished freedoms of speech and
information-that enables us to reveal such disquieting scenes.

Now a full investigation is under way. We are confident the Ministry
of
Defence will identify and deal with the culprits.

We believe justice must be done swiftly. And be seen to be done.

But let us not allow the reckless actions of a rogue group of soldiers
to become the legacy of our courageous men and women in Iraq.

That would be a grave injustice, however shocking the images may be.

"It sells our newspaper, so f**k you" then...

msr

That is disgusting, drafted reply from a computer almost. I hope no Armed force establishment on any British military base will sell the NOTW anymore.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
sciff69uk said:
after reading about the news of the world's report on british troops i sent them an e-mail

I find it a tad ironic that your paper will not
print "offensive" cartoons in case it causes unrest amongst the muslim
population...but you are perfectly happy to print a story that may
cause an increase in attacks on British troops?
It's probably just me but where in their reply did they answer the above question that you asked? Looks like a fairly standard 'fill in the blanks and hope he goes away' response.

Have you pressed them again for an answer?

Edit to add: I was referring to the hypocrisy of not publishing the cartoons but British soldiers being fair game^

I'm no fan of the NOTW, and have slagged them off before on this website, but let's be fair to them on this occasion. What else could they have done? We are getting all wound up because it paints the Army in a bad light, and supposedly inciting the Muslim world to further violence (as if the various factions already in Iraq actually needed any excuse). But would you deny that this story is in the public interest? I wouldn't.
If you were the editor of a National red top, and someone offered to sell you that sort of video footage, which is a scoop by any standards and would seriously increase your circulation, would you have supressed it?
Course you wouldn't, because you would have been out of a job the very next day. And if you did turn it down, you can be damn sure that one of your many competitors would have ran the story anyway.
However, I take your point about the cartoons; I view that to be in the public interest too, so by the same token they should have been published so we could all see what the fuss was about.

Slightly_Nasty said:
I'm no fan of the NOTW, and have slagged them off before on this website, but let's be fair to them on this occasion. What else could they have done? We are getting all wound up because it paints the Army in a bad light, and supposedly inciting the Muslim world to further violence (as if the various factions already in Iraq actually needed any excuse). But would you deny that this story is in the public interest? I wouldn't.
If you were the editor of a National red top, and someone offered to sell you that sort of video footage, which is a scoop by any standards and would seriously increase your circulation, would you have supressed it?
Course you wouldn't, because you would have been out of a job the very next day. And if you did turn it down, you can be damn sure that one of your many competitors would have ran the story anyway.
However, I take your point about the cartoons; I view that to be in the public interest too, so by the same token they should have been published so we could all see what the fuss was about.
All well being , But it is the responsibility of the press not to inflame delicate situations further by printing about stuff that happened 2 yrs ago.
NOTW SCUM , Yea i agree in freedom of speech but in the current political climate they of all people should act more responsible,
As should all media.

i get your point S_N... and it was a knee jurk reaction to reading the story. i just get sick of the armed forces constantly getting shown in a bad light...
the timing in regards to the cartoon rubish was crap and the 'cut and paste' answer i got from the NOTW was also crap

While I'm not a fan of the NOTW, I can't see how they could have put the article more sensitively. (I assume that the e-mail is an accurate reflection of what was printed - I haven't read it).

If they hadn't printed it, somebody else would have, perhaps with a distinctly anti-Army slant to it. It can't be denied that what was seen in the video exceeds what is acceptable. Yes, it's understandable, and many of us, myself included, would rate it justified. But that doesn't alter the fact that justice not the same as law or regulation.

The western press feeds on the western people's sensitivites, many of whom have no real inkling about life in the outside world. I've seen worse beatings given out by Iraqi foremen to their labourers (and even managers) for errors that, in the UK, would hardly rate a telling-off. That is their accepted way of life. Now that compensation culture has invaded Iraq, thanks to commission-grabbing lawyers, Iraqis now adopt a two-level sense of sensitivity. If manhandled by a soldier, claim against the "rich" British Government; if man-handled by another Iraqi, accept the beating because nothing will be gained.

Having a go at the NOTW is a case of shooting the messenger. Those in the wrong were those in the video, but justice (rather than law) should dismiss the issue on the grounds of provocation. On the other hand, the soldier with the camera, and more particularly, the scumbag that sold the film on, deserve no sympathy. It is they that have brought the issue to the attention of the mis-guided public and in doing so have magnified the issue to the extent that the job of the operational soldier is made that much harder and more dangerous.

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly I am not remotely interested in any justification printed by the NOTW.

This is a rag that has spent over 30 years surviving by destroying the lives of innocent people.

Anyone who was a sentient being in the 70s and 80s will remember their infiltration of wifeswapping rings for no reason other than to sell papers. These people were harming nobody except perhaps risking their own relationships.

Also, keep in mind that this filthy rag is just the Sunday edition of The Sun.....the newspaper that supports our boys.

I hope their entire staff, including the cat that catches the mice, die of a pox; they work for a filthy organ and they deserve to die as a consequence of a filthy organ.

maninblack said:
Sadly I am not remotely interested in any justification printed by the NOTW.

This is a rag that has spent over 30 years surviving by destroying the lives of innocent people.

Anyone who was a sentient being in the 70s and 80s will remember their infiltration of wifeswapping rings for no reason other than to sell papers. These people were harming nobody except perhaps risking their own relationships.

Also, keep in mind that this filthy rag is just the Sunday edition of The Sun.....the newspaper that supports our boys.

I hope their entire staff, including the cat that catches the mice, die of a pox; they work for a filthy organ and they deserve to die as a consequence of a filthy organ.
I do remember. I remember the outraged moral tone that they adopted whenever they uncovered anything faintly related to sex in suburbia. And then I'd turn the page to see a double page spread of the latest "part-time model" posing in very little, and giving the world her version of how she picked up some footballer and let him shag her senseless. It's a joke publication that panders to the lowest common denominator, and I have never bought it in my adult life.

OK so now realise that there is post re this on 'other halves' bit....well quite frankly they should have taken the ball by the horns and posted further up :D :wink: .....

Please do sign and send the link on to yer muckers.....

lots of love
TC
xx

I always read the latest scum/notw world shocked and outraged story about drugs and sex wondering how much the journo has done or would like to do themsleves

publishing would have been unthinkable.It's why the press exists.
We would have missed out on massive revenue because some other back stabbing newspaper would have printed it instead, our only and whole job is to make as much money as we can,fcukers,how do they justify there existent in the morning?

They haven't got a clue,less so their clientele!

I'm all for freedom of speach but twisting the knife is taking it too far,journos should be parachuted into Baghdad in orange boilersuits and then we'll see how far their freedom of speach gets them then.

Edited because I can't spell.

From the NOTW email:
publishing would have been unthinkable. It's why the press exists. A
journalist's job is to make accountable the institutions which act on
behalf of the public - however unpalatable the information is.
My bold.

Since when has this been the journos job? Their job isn't to make institutions accountable, I would have thought it is to report the facts of a situation with as little bias or slant as possible and truthfully. Something a few papers seem to have problems with.

Lets get it straight, journos report. Others do. Maybe the journos get a bit jealous reading report after report of British soldiers doing what they could only hope to achieve in their dreams, and thus have to bring us down when they can. After all, would you want to sit all day in a cubicle?

N.O.T.W at one time employed Marj Proops before she switched to the daily mirror. Any problems including ones about affairs were met with the stock reply of ' sit your spouse down and tell them about your affair and hope that they will forgive you. Coming from a married woman who had a 28 year affair with her husbands best friend, i find anything printed in the N.O.T.W or any other rag is purely sensationalist rubbish designed to sell papers whatever the cost. Now it could be to the cost of our armed forces lives, but then, whats a good man / womans life compared to a bank balance?

If our own soldiers didn't keep phoning up to cash in on their sick photos and videos they wouldn't have very much to publish....

Putteesinmyhands said
"Having a go at the NOTW is a case of shooting the messenger. Those in the wrong were those in the video, but justice (rather than law) should dismiss the issue on the grounds of provocation. On the other hand, the soldier with the camera, and more particularly, the scumbag that sold the film on, deserve no sympathy. It is they that have brought the issue to the attention of the mis-guided public and in doing so have magnified the issue to the extent that the job of the operational soldier is made that much harder and more dangerous.
This deserves putting in as the title of this thread and any other that deals with prisoner beating drawn from the video and their publication. It really sums up the whole affair and, having done that, we should all move on - unless, that is, there is anyone here who thinks differently?

Latest Threads