• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

News! More medals for (nearly) everone!

Having studied several Arrse forums Dr Fox has decided that what really gets soldiers hot is the chance to wear a shiny new medal.

July 11 Reserve review Page 28 article 59 reads:

With both the TA and RAuxAF suffering serious shortfalls in Reservist numbers, the Commission recommends that consideration is given to the re-establishment of the various Reserve decorations. The visibility that such decorations give to the particular commitment of the Reservist is significant.

It ain't about the ba-bling...

Is it???

C

CivPlod

Na, one medal, one ribbon, a return to the Volunteer Decoration, with the nasty V.D post nominals for all ranks this time. My prediction.

And the NDM mob will have another anurism, just as they are getting over getting "done out" the QDJM.

The_Duke

LE
Think of it coming from the retention budget.
Of course....

The wife will be totally swayed into believing that all of the time away from her and the kids is more than offset by another bit of tat, and my employer will be so pleased that the absence from work resulting in a loss of revenue, and potential future absences, are being offset by same said bit of tat.

Totally misses the point of what is needed to recruit and retain, and is just a worthless sop to those who have been around long enough to qualify for one who would otherwise be making even more noise about the changes than they are already.

Imagine the shit chat at mess functions from those with the "conscientious objectors" rack -

Fit chick: "oh wow, look at all those medals! You must be so brave! What are they for?"

Old duffer: "Well this one is because the Queen celebrated her Golden Jubilee, this one is because she Celebrated her Diamond Jubilee, this oval monstrosity with the Gay Pride ribbon is because I have been in the TA for a long time, and the last one is because, ermmmm, I have been in the TA a long time".

Fit chick: "Rigggghhhhhttttt....so you haven't actually been anywhere or done anything, but you have 4 medals? Byeeeee"

Of course....

The wife will be totally swayed into believing that all of the time away from her and the kids is more than offset by another bit of tat, and my employer will be so pleased that the absence from work resulting in a loss of revenue, and potential future absences, are being offset by same said bit of tat.

Totally misses the point of what is needed to recruit and retain, and is just a worthless sop to those who have been around long enough to qualify for one who would otherwise be making even more noise about the changes than they are already.

Imagine the shit chat at mess functions from those with the "conscientious objectors" rack -

Fit chick: "oh wow, look at all those medals! You must be so brave! What are they for?"

Old duffer: "Well this one is because the Queen celebrated her Golden Jubilee, this one is because she Celebrated her Diamond Jubilee, this oval monstrosity with the Gay Pride ribbon is because I have been in the TA for a long time, and the last one is because, ermmmm, I have been in the TA a long time".

Fit chick: "Rigggghhhhhttttt....so you haven't actually been anywhere or done anything, but you have 4 medals? Byeeeee"
just to pull you back from the realms of fantasy but what would a fit chick be doing at a TA sgt's mess function?

The_Duke

LE
just to pull you back from the realms of fantasy but what would a fit chick be doing at a TA sgt's mess function?
Fair point, but she may have been dragged along by a Subbie (if any exist) to an Officers' Mess one - plenty of old duffer officers around as well!

But for accuracy, replace "Fit Chick" with "old boy on Remembrance day" if you prefer.

By HM the Jelly Beans Diamond Jube I will have 5 and havent left the mess!! But eberyone I know would rather swap their tacky cheap VRSM for a bar for their TD any day.

Fair point, but she may have been dragged along by a Subbie (if any exist) to an Officers' Mess one - plenty of old duffer officers around as well!

But for accuracy, replace "Fit Chick" with "old boy on Remembrance day" if you prefer.
i'm there. the only other unbelievable bit is that if it really was a fit chick he'd have gone;

"Well this one is for being the bloke on the balcony at the Nakatomi Plaza, this one was for saving a young girl and a beleaguered space marine, this oval monstrosity with the Gay Pride ribbon is because I destroyed the one ring in the fires of mount doom, and the last one is because, ermmmm, me and Danny Glover smashed an evil Triad and i defeated Jet Li in single combat"

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I would like to think my girlfriend qualifies ( and no, I will not be supplying photos).

She did ask about some of the racks on display and wondered how certain Mess members, senior to me, had so few medals, and how they had never managed to go anywhere more dangerous than Germany on the piss . .. ..

C

CivPlod

There are plenty of senior rates in the RNR who have done several tours(Op Atalanta, NATO Active Endevour, and something in Yemen, but I cant remember the name of it) yet all they had was a peace chest............But then the review does say that the RNR is running the whole force concept very well.

I of course would disagree, I thought the training was shockingly ****.

*SNIP*Imagine the shit chat at mess functions from those with the "conscientious objectors" rack -
Your Grace, 'Peace Chest' is preferred due to Herrick attendees using the 'conscientious' angle when saying "Telic? Nah, don't do illegal wars!". Always good for a bite. Both parties can then round on the Tosca Tourist and admire the GJM, VRSM (Bar), UN. Hours of fun. Bling merely gives the immature more ammo for p*ss taking.

TBBT you paint an interesting picture of modern mess life! What on earth did we do for entertainment in the days before GW1 when one medal was the norm - usually the Nor'n Ireland too?

Latest Threads