News gathering query

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Oy_Vey, Apr 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I stopped at a shop earlier. They had a minimum spend of five pounds so to make up the cost of a sandwich a packet of crisps and a bottle of water I bought, (for the first time in a good four or five years), a copy of The Sun newspaper.

As some have commented here in other forums, there was a disconnect in immediate coverage of the terrible incident in Boston, one example being 'Auntie' appearing to be running late with a lot of the coverage, and being reliant on other news agencies.

I know that some here work/have worked and have experience with or dealing with news/media agencies, the likes of our esteemed and boufanted Bigeye etc.

After reading The Sun, I'm curious to know how other ARRSErs gather their daily news, and any ARRSErs thoughts on the best and most reliable news sources, perhaps any opinions on the standards of coverage and dissemination of breaking news such as this.

After reading The Sun I can confirm that Hagar the Horrible is about the best part of it.

Oy Vey.

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I just log onto ARRSE. Its free and I get a multitude of opinionated ***** giving me opinions and me likewise giving them mine.

• Like Like x 6
  3. I haven't bought a paper since Diana died, and I certainly wouldn't go into a shop with a minimum spend. What right do they have to tell you that you have to spend that much? Do they exist?

4. No single news source is reliable.
    You need to use several, preferably including those of differing house styles and where applicable political standings.

If, for some bizarre reason you can only use one source, the Beeb is probably the best in the world.

5. Minimum spend if you use a debit card but I was starving.

6. The Rockall Times was always a very informed read.

7. I haven't been back to to the UK for a few years, but a shop with a minimum spend of a Fiver? WTF?

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I used Feedly with multiple news sources from many different countries and political divide. I even read the guardian sometime

9. BBC is my first point of call, for contentious subjects I try and look at a number of sources even suspect ones like Al Jezeera and Pravda, just to see how they are representing the story (if they are!) - maybe I am a cynical bugger but I sort of assume there is a element political spin on almost everything so I read the news with a bag of salt handy usually

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Daily Mash. It's second only to the Mail for factual reporting.

11. Exactly what SD said, right down to the bag of salt!

12. Its only in the last few years that I've looked at Al Jazeera. Sky seemed to have the more up to date information. The Sun utilised a big photo, then there were boobs, then some more information that was there last night, and then an article on Ozzy Osborne.

Though it was Fairmaidofperths post that prompted me to switch on the TV Biscuits.

ARRSE was more up to the minute than the beeb.

13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Radio Scotland mainly, as driving around then glances at BBC website during work.

And of course, as mentioned above, all major news subjects are covered on ARRSE with no end of opinions.

You can always tell how outrageous a story is by the number of similtaneous threads it has running!

14. A long gone favourite.

15. For most things look at Reuters or AP - most papers will usually just take their articles and adapt them. Its only when a major event happens and you start to get deeper coverage and analysis that you see real journalistic writing.

Guardian / Times are good, Telegraph is slipping. Economist is very good for assessment.