News from Kosovo

Two dead following Kosovo clashes

Two people have died overnight following clashes in Kosovo between ethnic Albanian protesters and police.

They were among four people seriously wounded when United Nations and local police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse some 3,000 protesters.

The crowd in Pristina was protesting against a UN plan on the future status of Serbia's province.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6351575.stm

Kosovo minister quits over deaths

The Interior Minister of Kosovo, Fatmir Rexhepi, has resigned after two ethnic Albanian demonstrators died of injuries sustained in clashes on Saturday.

The two were hurt when Kosovo and UN police fired teargas and rubber bullets to stop a crowd storming government buildings in the capital, Pristina.

The demonstration was organised by Self-Determination, a movement campaigning for immediate independence. It is impatient with UN envoy Martti Ahtisaari's gradualist approach.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6356437.stm

EU in Kosovo must learn from Bosnia mistakes
12 February 2007 | Source:Reuters

BERLIN -- The European Union mission in Kosovo must avoid a heavy-handed approach, a think-tank warned on Monday.

A U.N. plan promises the Serbian province a form of supervised independence under the authority of a EU-led mission.

But the Berlin-based European Stability Initiative think-tank said Bosnia's experience showed that when international organizations overstep the mark, citizens are often powerless and cannot get a fair hearing for complaints.
Link: http://www.b92.net/eng/news/in_focus.php?id=91&start=0&nav_id=39596

UK Ambassador in Belgrade:
"I do not believe in agreement between Serbs and Albanians"

'It is good that Serbia has accepted to participate in the final phase of negotiations over Kosovo since that is an opportunity for Serbia to give its remarks to the proposal of the UN special envoy Marti Ahtisari. The largest room for changes of the proposal is in the part concerning technical issues', British Ambassador in Belgrade Steven Wordsworth said while visiting 'Blic' yesterday.

'On one side there are Albanians requesting independence, on the other side there are Serbs against it. I think that no compromise is possible there. That is why after this phase of negotiations the final proposal of UN envoy Ahtisari shall find itself before UN Security Council', British Ambassador says.
Link:
(Today) http://www.blic.co.yu/blic/danas/broj/E-Index.htm
(After today) http://www.blic.co.yu/blic/arhiva/2007-02-13/E-Index.htm

UN police chief in Kosovo quits

The UN police commissioner for Kosovo has quit his post after weekend clashes in Pristina which left two people dead.

Kosovo's UN administrator said he had asked Stephen Curtis to step down because of "political accountability".

About 80 people were hurt in Kosovo's worst violence since March 2004.

Police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse some 3,000 ethnic Albanians protesting against a UN plan on the future status of the Serbian province.

The two people who died sustained injuries from rubber bullets fired by UN and local police.

UN administrator Joachim Ruecker said he had asked Mr Curtis, the UN head of a 1,800-strong international police force, to resign with immediate effect.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6362291.stm

Serbia rejects UN plan for Kosovo

Serbia's parliament has overwhelmingly rejected a United Nations proposal on the future status of Kosovo.

Lawmakers also backed a resolution stating the UN plan would illegally lay the foundations for creating a new state within Serbian territory.

Under proposals unveiled by UN envoy Martti Ahtisaari earlier this month, Kosovo would gain a form of self-rule which stops short of full independence.

Final talks on Kosovo's future will take place later this month.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6363419.stm

PartTimePongo said:
What is the purpose of these posts?
Dear Mr. PartTimePongo,

I am putting these messages in current affairs and news and analysis section of website under title News from Kosovo. I am thinking this is news and current affairs.

I am thinking british soldiers are interested in such informations because of history and maybe future happenings. Albanians and serbs are not likeing Atisahari plan. Maybe there will going to be trouble and british soldiers will going to fly to kosovo again. 3 years ago was flying to kosovo soldiers from berkshire and glostershire and wiltshires when albanians was makeing big troubles.

I am hoping british soldiers are interested in extra things in stead of propagandas and spins from washington and downing street.

If you are wanting I will going to stop putting messages.

Yours sincerely,
Kneza Milosa 29

I'm sure they are. Just needed an explanation as to why a spate of Kosovoi cut and pastes suddenly appeared.

It would be nice if you added your own commentary or 'take' , to invite discussion on these stories?

PTP

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for your input fella. It is indeed a good place to put this.

Mind you, I have about as much faith in the UN stopping conflict as I have in my grandmother buying me a ferrari for my 30th birthday. She's dead and I'm 35.

If this gets ugly, I would imagine that many people will die unless NATO steps in again, and yes, that will mean British troops.

PartTimePongo said:
I'm sure they are. Just needed an explanation as to why a spate of Kosovoi cut and pastes suddenly appeared.

It would be nice if you added your own commentary or 'take' , to invite discussion on these stories?

PTP
Dear Mr. PartTimePongo,

I am not writing my own commentarys because people will just say it is serbian propagandas. That is why i am putting only informations from bbc and reuters and concerning british peoples like ambassador.

Last week mr. buffoon was in belgrade telling serbian government what it must do. Today is big demonstrations outside my office by serbian peoples from kosovo.

Yours sincerely,
Kneza Milosa 29

Hey, Thanks for the info and updates.

Don't worry we won't think it is Serbian propaganda, we're used to Labour propaganda from Sven. it would be nice for some Serbian input on the situation though.

Dear Everybodys,

Tomorrow is starting in wien discussings for final status for kosovo. I am not understanding why they want discussings because already descisions is made.

I was not giving my opinions for last few days because I was being in the field with my bosses.

This is my opinions. Most peoples in serbia disagrees with me.

Problem with deciding future for kosovo is all about historys.

For serbian peoples it is long historys and short historys. For serbian peoples we was having all our school historys about kosovo, all storys, all poems, all songs was being about kosovo. Kosovo is in heart and body and soul of serbian peoples. Short historys is about croatia and bosnia. Serbian peoples in croatia was told it is not possible to have independant states. Then they was made to leave in 1995 by croats army. Serbian peoples in bosnia was told it is not possible to have independant states and they must be part of muslim state.

Serbian peoples doesnt understand why albanian peoples can have 2 states. Albania and kosovo next to every other.

For internationals goverments problem is just short historys. In 1975th year european goverments and usa made helsinki agreement that borders will going to never change. That is why croatia must be croatia and bosnia must be bosnia. Why is now ok for kosovo to be going to taken from serbia? Where is law saying kosovo can be taken away? Where is law saying borders must be kosovo borders? Why is serbian peoples in kosovo not able to be independant from kosovo?

Problem for internationals goverments are saying now is opposites from before. And is opposites from what are saying about iraq. If kurdish peoples want independance is it ok?

My opinions is very simple. I doesnt want kosovo. Kosovo will going to be crime center of all europe. This is bad for serbian peoples and it is best if will not be going to serbian problem. EU can have problems if is wanting.

Internationals goverments must be understanding taking kosovo is not good for peace and securitys in balkans. Internationals goverments must be working with serbian peoples to agrees to give away kosovo. When serbian peoples doesnt want kosovo serbian goverment very happy to say goodbye kosovo.

Internationals goverments not making kosovo independant because is right decisions. Internationals goverments is making kosovo independant because is quick solutions and is busy with problems in other places.

That is my opinions.

Yours sincerely,
Kneza Milosa 29

My opinions is very simple. I doesnt want kosovo. Kosovo will going to be crime center of all europe
I disagree. The Kosovan Police seem to be very good at pointing out to the local criminals that failure to take their antics elsewhere,will result in a shallow grave.

Therefore they're all here. :frustrated:

PartTimePongo said:
My opinions is very simple. I doesnt want kosovo. Kosovo will going to be crime center of all europe
I disagree. The Kosovan Police seem to be very good at pointing out to the local criminals that failure to take their antics elsewhere,will result in a shallow grave.

Dear Mr. PartTimePongo,

My english is not as good as i want. I want to say that kosovo will be center of crime in europe. Albanian peoples will be going to very good in kosovo like they are very good in albania. But they will be going to making big problems in other countrys like london. Who will going to control them when criminals is goverment?

Yours sincerely,
Kneza Milosa 29

Kneza_Milosa_29 said:
PartTimePongo said:

Dear Mr. PartTimePongo,

My english is not as good as i want. I want to say that kosovo will be center of crime in europe. Albanian peoples will be going to very good in kosovo like they are very good in albania. But they will be going to making big problems in other countrys like london. Who will going to control them when criminals is goverment?

Yours sincerely,
Kneza Milosa 29
Ahhh the facts of life establish themselves world wide.

That's ok Kneza, I was being ironic :D

I don't know about being the crime centre of Europe in the future, it's pretty much there now isn't it?

It's exactly the same stupid, greedy criminal lowlife people trafficking, drug dealing, pimping ratboy scum, that stop Albania being properly invested in and developed.

Why should investors risk their capital, when the idiots are looking to get rich quick and rip them off at every turn?

Maybe we can admit Kosovo to the EU , and then really watch the criminal element gain a hold

I was trying to find some international news report for this but it seems that international medias is not interested. :( I hope you are not minding serbian media linking.

KLA claims responsibility for Priština blast
20 February 2007 | 09:59 -> 18:06 | Source: B92, FoNet, Beta, AP, DPA, AFP

PRIŠTINA -- Kosovo Liberation Army says it blew up three UN vehicles in Priština last night.

The blast caused no injuries but raised tensions amid ongoing negotiations on Kosovo's future.

Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) distributed a statement to the media by e-mail claiming to have set up the explosion. Kosovo Police Service is yet to determine the authenticity of the statement.

Kosovo Liberation Army , now a disbanded force that fought against Serb forces during the 1998-1999 conflict, said it had regrouped in order to "avenge the death of two protesters" during a recent demonstration in Priština, adding it would avenge "any future injustice" against its people.

NATO-led peacekeepers sealed the blast area in downtown Priština, and were investigating, police spokesman Veton Elshani said.

The cause of the explosion was not clear, but police suspected the UN mission had been the target of an attack, he said. A civilian vehicle was also damaged.

The blast came 10 days after two people were killed in clashes between police and ethnic Albanian protesters who were objecting to a UN proposal for Kosovo's final status.

Kosovo's Prime Minister Agim Ceku, who visited the blast site late Monday, condemned the attack as "an act of those opposing the process of Kosovo's independence."

"Such criminal acts are absolutely unacceptable for Kosovo's people and its institutions," said Kosovo's President Fatmir Sejdiu, demanding that those behind the blast be caught.
Link: http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2007&mm=02&dd=20&nav_category=91&nav_id=39720

Latest Threads