News from India

Some fecker over Torqued my wheel nuts (old landy )

6ft scaffold pole around the 3ft break bar and as much force as the 2 of us could apply to crack the bastards

Make sure you get an proper engineer to replace those over-strained studs and retorque those nuts to precise specification with his slide ruler.

It's for your own safety, mate.

Make sure you get an proper engineer to replace those over-strained studs and retorque those nuts to precise specification with his slide ruler.

It's for your own safety, mate.
In the 1980s, working on 10 year old cars, it was common to find wheel nuts rusted into the hubs.
Standard removal gear was a Britool square drive and a 6' length of scaffold pole plus 2x 13 stone blokes on the end of the pole.

More than once my (in those days slender) 12.7 stone was unable to shift a wheel nut with my feet off the ground on hanging the end of the 6' tube. If it was that stubborn, we called in big Rob.

In the 1980s, working on 10 year old cars, it was common to find wheel nuts rusted into the hubs.
Standard removal gear was a Britool square drive and a 6' length of scaffold pole plus 2x 13 stone blokes on the end of the pole.

More than once my (in those days slender) 12.7 stone was unable to shift a wheel nut with my feet off the ground on hanging the end of the 6' tube. If it was that stubborn, we called in big Rob.
Having rebuilt many antique autos, I have run across many a nut that has magically melded with it's bolt and a near infinite fuck ton of nuts rusted to studs and steelies. Ah the memories.

Big Rob is my penis' given name.

Our "Big Rob" ran a company called RT Transport and was 16 stone of the strongest bloke I have ever seen. He could be persuaded to remove the wheel nuts on a Bedford TK for the price of a bacon buttie from the local cafe.

Nothing finer than a good bacon sandwich, except maybe a finely refurbished antique COE.

The finest bacon buttie formula comes from Leeds University.

The formula is: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta

N and C will further strain and deform Earth's psyche as they are measurements of force.

N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.

I might weigh about 17 stone these days, at least 1 or 2 of which could be Big Rob and his stones.

*just for Earth, stones is a measurement of mass, but not Big Rob's stones, They are just massive.

Having rebuilt many antique autos, I have run across many a nut that has magically melded with it's bolt and a near infinite **** ton of nuts rusted to studs and steelies. Ah the memories.

Big Rob is my penis' given name.
Massive amounts of penetrating oil + torque bars and a 2-ton trolley jack ... yet the fecker still wouldn't move!
Whole vehicle lifted up on ONE stud???!
I've played that game!

When I was working in a rail yard, repairing intermodal rail cars, I made a "flange tool" out of a a big hunk of 1" plate and a yard long piece of 1" round stock on a 15 minute break to make bending things like straps, ladders, and I-Beam flanges back to something resembling straight. Basically torch cut the head to the shape I wanted with a couple of different mouths, 1 at 45 and one at 90, and welded it to the round stock (FCAW dual shield), then radius ground the end for a nice finished look. Still had time for a tea.

I few years later, I was working as a contract mechanic for the Army and had a chance to really put my flange bender to the test. A armored heavy recovery vehicle had a bent foot plate on the rear left outrigger that would not allow it to fully retract and lock into position. This, of course, is a deadline condition that needed immediate repair, but there was no replacement foot plate available, and obviously it was deadline/non-operable with it simply removed as well. I dug my trusty, rusty, hand made flange tool out of my big box, and luckily, the ~3/8" plate foot slipped (barely) into the 45 mouth I had cut in it and all was ready to attempt using my tool to straighten the foot using the hydraulics for pressure (force/load).

Extending the leg down, bringing the handle of my tool carefully into contact with the concrete pad, then continuing with the extension, we lifted the AHRV into the air to full extension, and the 3/8" plate foot refused to unbend... so... we bounced that mother fucker up and down about a dozen times, digging a trench in the concrete pad, until the foot eventually gave up and straightened, allowing us to finally be able to retract the outrigger fully to stowage position, and get that truck back to duty.

It was also a great test of my welding abilities... the old flange tool came out of the mess without any damage.

My other flange tool / torque bar does not have quite the mass, but does get quite lubricated and engages in similar massive amounts of frenzied bouncing and penetrating quite regularly.

The Indian government's latest vanity project, at about USD$430m.

'Some 3,000 laborers and 300 engineers are sweating and slaving to complete the world’s tallest statue in India by October 25, just in time for its inauguration by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 31, only a few months ahead of the crucial general elections next year.

'The controversial 182-meter concrete-steel-bronze acrolith being speedily built for the last four years on a rocky islet in the midst of the swirling waters of the Narmada river in Modi’s home state of Gujarat is a lofty tribute to the country’s first home minister, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, known for his iron will and indomitable courage.

'The successful completion of the Rs 30-billion Statue of Unity on the dot – a gargantuan task – despite several stumbling blocks in the form of noisy protests by environmentalists, affected villagers, non-government organizations and opposition politicians could put Modi on pedestal and help him emerge triumphant at the hustings once again.'

World’s ‘tallest statue’ a ladder for Indian PM Modi to climb to top post again?

The Indian government's latest vanity project, at about USD$430m.

'Some 3,000 laborers and 300 engineers are sweating and slaving to complete the world’s tallest statue in India by October 25, just in time for its inauguration by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 31, only a few months ahead of the crucial general elections next year.

'The controversial 182-meter concrete-steel-bronze acrolith being speedily built for the last four years on a rocky islet in the midst of the swirling waters of the Narmada river in Modi’s home state of Gujarat is a lofty tribute to the country’s first home minister, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, known for his iron will and indomitable courage.

'The successful completion of the Rs 30-billion Statue of Unity on the dot – a gargantuan task – despite several stumbling blocks in the form of noisy protests by environmentalists, affected villagers, non-government organizations and opposition politicians could put Modi on pedestal and help him emerge triumphant at the hustings once again.'

World’s ‘tallest statue’ a ladder for Indian PM Modi to climb to top post

Remind me do we still give aid to countries who are able to splurge out on vanity projects like this rather than spend funds on more mundane things such as
Basic hygiene
Basic education for all
Decent medical care
Sewage projects
Human rights
Etc etc

Why are we accommodating this parasitical nation's demands regarding immigration & giving them hundreds of millions in aid every year?
Statues? Yep
Rockets? Yep
Combat aircraft? Yep
Shitters? Nopey nope nope nope...

We do have quite a nice, large statue, however, it doesn't belong in that list of nationalistic willy waving, as someone else bought it for us in an effort to conflate their version of Liberty and Independence with our more Awesome, and wholesome, version.

Why are we accommodating this parasitical nation's demands regarding immigration & giving them hundreds of millions in aid every year?
Statues? Yep
Rockets? Yep
Combat aircraft? Yep
Shitters? Nopey nope nope nope...
The British government is free to roll back it's so called aid program as it's a transaction between the government of UK and organizations like Oxfam.Indian government has no role in it.

BTW India spends 7.5% of GDP in social programs which is 195 billion $ or £ 149 billion,so what will the puny £ 90 million pcoket change will do ?Keep it with yourself.

Although building the statue was unethical on part of the Prime minister of India ,however it is said that it will create tourism in that part of the country has help local economy and generate employment for the locals.

Combat aircrats and rockets are necessary for the country as much as feeding the poor,India is rapidly running out of aircrafts and needs an urgent replacement and therefore new aircratfs have to be procured.

Rockets are vital to Indian economy as the entire space program aids the Indian economy.

What good is the opinion of the wadawallah?

Or was that big truck lug nut tightening industrial engineer?

You will be given a fitting reply once i am done with my current work.

Latest Threads