News from France

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Dec 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

At last nights HBSA (a few arssers in attendance) It was announced during the legislation update that the French are to remove all calibres from the prohibited military list for civilian use apart from 7.62 x 51 and 5.56 x 45. So I no longer need to pretend that my MAS is really a 7.62x55!
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Did anyone mention a timeframe or give a concrete reference? This has been pending for eons.......and differing versions of what will change abound!
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not that I noted, by the time it had sunk in David Penn had sat down. Hopefully it will be in the next report with some further updates from FESAC!
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Not seeing anything new on French forums.
    The calibre thing is an anachronism that needs updating - it is easy to bypass anyway as witnessed by the proliferation of .222 Steyr AUG's and FAMAS's knocking about.
    The principle of extra security (declaring you own a gun cabinet) and a more checking of ongoing need to own (showing you shoot 3 times a year) is fine IMO for modern "military" weapons - but to lump my SLR in the same category as a WW1 bolt action is not right. Likewise for bolt action hunting rifles - especially as I can waltz into a dealer and by a TRG42 over the counter in .338lap or .300win mag without even having declared I own a gun cabinet.....
  5. The original ban on military calibres was imposed by the Nazis on their occupied territories. It's taken quite some time to sort out. But then German civil law is based heavily on the code Napoleon. Tit for old tat I suppose.