[News] Debate on Trident Alternatives, 17 July PM

Discussion in 'House of Commons' started by DOT, Jul 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

This is an alert for upcoming business inside the Chamber of the House of Commons. We encourage discussion or comments concerning the topic or content of the debate.
    The debate will be streamed live on Parliament.tv Player (Please note that Silverlight or Windows Media Player are required to stream Parliament TV)

General Debate - Trident Alternatives Review
    Wednesday 17 July PM*.

Following the publication of the Trident Alternatives Review yesterday - the House of Commons will today be undertaking a 3-hour long General Debate on this published Review.

The Prime Minister has put forward the Motion:
    That this House has considered the Trident Alternatives Review

To view the Trident Alternatives Review please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212745/20130716_Trident_Alternatives_Study.pdf (Opens as PDF)

*The debate is expected to commence following the Opposition Day (5th allotted day) debates and if necessary, consideration of Lords Amendments. It may begin later if any Urgent Questions or Statements are granted on the day, as Parliamentary business is subject to change. It is due to be debated until 10 o'clock or for three hours, whichever is later.

2. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

3. Could someone please lay out in plain speak how we afford it?

4. By wasting a bit less on benefits or the NHS perhaps?

5. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Hush, crazy foo'.

6. Er... UK company invoicing and paying taxes... But someone was bound to bite... thanks.

Should you be or have been part of the grey funnel line you would have, or will, serve overseas and still be liable for taxes. I do not serve the UK Armed Forces but I am liable for UK taxes, fish.

7. Sorry, but if you check our previous interactions, you will see I am well acquainted with your situation, and I knew you'd take the bait so cheers easy.

And god forbid I ever have to go to sea on a grey funnel line again, I spent some weeks at sea on one over quarter of a century ago, and that was enough for me, thankyou very much.

8. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

Following on from the Debate on Trident Alternatives yesterday, DOT can post up a link to the transcript:
    House of Commons Hansard Debates for 17 July 2013 (pt 0004)

And also a link to the recording of the debate for those who are interested on Parliament TV Player (Plays in Windows Media Player or Silverlight).

The debate continued until the motion lapsed because it ran out of time because of the numbers of MPs wanting to comment during the course of the debate.

9. One simple point: You don't keep four SSBNs while you cut and cut conventional forces.

10. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

So long as those conventional forces are what's required for conventional operations, why ever not?

11. So you want smaller conventional forces and nukes that cannot end the Afghanistan war?

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Talk me through our Afghan victory then.