News Coverage in AFG

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by elvislives, Sep 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In light of criticism of recent news reports, how do Arrse’rs propose that news agencies obtain and report accurate coverage of events on the front line in Afghanistan?
    Is it the case that accurate coverage of the situation our forces face on a day to day basis is not in the best interest of the government nor considered good for public consumption, or is it not feasible to have journalists present, given the circumstances and pace of this operational environment?

Elvis

2. Journalists have managed to file front-line stories in every conflict since the Crimean War and before - strangely, this ability seems to have dried-up during this Afghan campaign.
    As you say, ''accurate coverage of the situation our forces face on a day to day basis is not in the best interest of the government nor considered good for public consumption''. In fact, this government seems to think what is not good for the government is not good for public consumption.
    It's easier to prevent independent reports by hiding under the guise of protecting journalists from danger, while putting out spinning press releases.
    I'm sure, given the option, that many journalists would be willing to take the risks but the risk to the government is too great...

3. During operations, the less jurno's around during operations the better- period

4. I would have thought that the BBC would have enough clout to get a journo into Kandahar if it really wanted? At least there they would be able to talk to troops going into and out of the hotter spots. Rather than an MoD briefed desk jockey in Kabul.

5. I'm pretty sure Mick Smith has posted on this point: there's a queue about a mile long, of journos waiting to get in, but the MOD is refusing to allow them to use military a/c, so their only option is overland, which amounts to a rather protracted suicide attempt at the moment...

Not sure I agree with you on this one Muzzleflash: if we've nothing to hide, bring 'em on... Might actually raise the public's awareness of what the troops are going through...