News article: 2 PARA plough on through snowy exercise

Ministry of Defence said:
In the depths of a Northumbrian winter, soldiers from 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment (2 PARA) are braving the snow to take part in Exercise Eagle’s Nest at Otterburn Ranges.
The two-week-long training, which began last week, is designed so that troops can practise live firing, manoeuvring across hostile countryside, working with fire support from artillery and helicopters, and living in the field for prolonged periods.
From May the 2 PARA Battle Group takes on the role as the lead unit in the Airborne Task Force (ABTF), with the unit’s airborne infantry bolstered by artillery, engineers, medics and logisticians from 16 Air Assault Brigade.

Soldiers from 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment taking part in Exercise Eagle's Nest [Picture: Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]The ABTF is ready to deploy anywhere in the world at short notice to conduct the full range of military operations, from non-combatant evacuation operations to war-fighting.
After deploying from their base in Colchester, the training began in earnest last Wednesday with a daylight attack by the full 600-strong battle group, supported by fire from Scimitar armoured reconnaissance vehicles and 105mm light guns and 81mm mortars.
The firepower brought to bear during the attack matches the heavy weaponry that the 2 PARA Battle Group would have in support during the early phases of an ABTF operation.
During the exercise, troops will also carry out a night attack and helicopter raids. The soldiers are living in the field throughout, carrying all the equipment and supplies they need to live and operate in Otterburn’s harsh climate and rough landscape.
The training finishes with a 50-mile tab - a fast march carrying equipment - from the ranges to RAF Spadeadam.

Soldiers from 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment taking part in Exercise Eagle's Nest [Picture: Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]The Commanding Officer of 2 PARA, Lieutenant Colonel Adam Dawson MC, said:
From my perspective, Exercise Eagle’s Nest is where the battle group comes together and begins to demonstrate the significantly enhanced capability delivered by combined arms operating in concert.
The relatively harsh environment of Otterburn in winter, combined with living out of the field in an expeditionary style, offers a great opportunity to re-zero our basic fieldcraft.
Working with helicopters throughout the exercise is a key skill to develop as we build towards a credible and capable force held at very high readiness.
This is the start of a demanding three-month training period which will prepare the battle group for the full spectrum of tasks that we may face as we take on the ABTF role.
16 Air Assault Brigade is the British Army’s largest brigade with 7,400 soldiers, combining the speed and agility of airborne and air assault troops with the potency of Apache attack helicopters.
The brigade deployed to Afghanistan between October 2010 and April 2011 and since its return to the UK has focused on a number of commitments, most significantly its core role as the ABTF, ready to deploy on operations anywhere in the world at short notice.

More...

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
Breaking News...........

Soldiers train in snow!

And 3, 2, 1 .....

Cue stab bleating.

And before you ask it's because you're shit and can't even dress yourselves correctly never mind deploy in arduous conditions without becoming a liability to yourselves and others.

B

bokkatankie

That can not be 2 PARA must be 2 Para Sqn. RAF Regt. Only the RAF PR machine would produce such an awful, embarassing and cringeworthy pile of shite!

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
My Auntie Edna is in sheltered accommodation up Ridsdale way. She is basically bonkers and likes to escape at night in her Nightie with her teddy bear and a cup 'o tea. I have not got a Scoobie what a 2 Para is but best they be on their ****ing toes if they cross my Auntie Edna in the night between Otterburn and Spadeadem. She is scary enough in the daylight.

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
I'm slightly confused. Why does the army think that Northumbria is hostile territory? I have missed some news?
Only for the last 500 years. We gave the world the word 'Feud' about 300 years before the Italians gave us the word 'Vendetta'.

Means the same but we do not share their sunny disposition. We are not hostile as such, we simply do not like cnuts who talk funny.

These boys love the snow...and they are on our side!

I seem to recall British troops having to fight in extreme weather in Korea dressed in little more than a woolen overcoat and canvas gaiters.

I am sure your average WW1 soldier had it a lot worse!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally I find this story truly inspiring and am moved to tears every time I read how they are 'ploughing on' but, for the benefit of a more cynical public, could one of our resident paras please explain why they consider that training in the snow is such an achievement?

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Civvys write the article dont they.
Yeah, they do. We tried having 2 Para keep their own diaries for later publication back in '03. But there is only so much "The cat shat on the mat" bollocks you can put up with before you sub the job out to people who can write. I bet she is called Charlotte.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Only for the last 500 years. We gave the world the word 'Feud' about 300 years before the Italians gave us the word 'Vendetta'.

Means the same but we do not share their sunny disposition. We are not hostile as such, we simply do not like cnuts who talk funny.
That's true but your pizza is crap.

Personally I find this story truly inspiring and am moved to tears every time I read how they are 'ploughing on' but, for the benefit of a more cynical public, could one of our resident paras please explain why they consider that training in the snow is such an achievement?
You'll find out the answer to that when a TA member explains why passing a 4 mile CFT is their equivalent of a pass on the hills phase of selection.

Yeah, they do. We tried having 2 Para keep their own diaries for later publication back in '03. But there is only so much "The cat shat on the mat" bollocks you can put up with before you sub the job out to people who can write. I bet she is called Charlotte.
Probably is. However on a side note when i joined journalistic skills werent required.

Civvys write the article dont they.
Nah, if it was a civvy, there would be a phot of some cheerful squaddy chappies round a snowman they'd built; thumbs up and smiling. This was a CS copy writer.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably is. However on a side note when i joined journalistic skills werent required.
They were - but only for SF!