Newer version of installer / service pack?

boring work program-

it should work with xp, however it displays this message when I try to install?

can the I update the just the installer service cause I doubt there's a service pack update?

Attachments

Dr Death

War Hero
XP not supported by MS surely?

ABNredleg

War Hero
XP went end of life in 2014 - W7 at the beginning of 2020.

You would probably be better off forgetting about it and just upgrade to W10.

The installer program is probably commercial, installshield or similar. However that doesn't mean the program won't work. You can install the program using the installer on windows 7/10 etc - then copy the files that were installed to your xp machine. (check the registry and for any dll files installed outside of the installed folder).

There's lots of setup capture programs as well you can use, failing that - if you send me the installer and pay me some money - I'll extract those files for you and write an installer for you that will work on XP.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Indeed, all the Royal Navy still run on it.
I got in the back of a Sultan at an LD reunion a few years ago. The only thing I recognised from my days in the early 80s was a water tank around the commander's cupola base. Two laptops screwed to the operator's desk in front of the map board. Showed live locations. Impressed.

Nosed around, couldn't find Dambusters* hidden away.

But Ctrl, Alt, Delete took me into Windows... 2000.
_____
* 1985 and PAMPAS were looking at rolling out a pilot Unit Microcomputer at 12 Armd Wksp. As I liked over his shoulder, I asked if you could play Dambusters on it (I'd been warned off for a posting to Computer Centre, Worthy Down, I had my own C64 to familiarise myself. I knew these thing. One of my three roles at Worthy Down saw me in the same Nissen hut as Pampas, which was rebranding as the UniCom team, as Unit Microcomputer was no longer in pilot.)

endure

GCM
XP is alive & well in industry ;)

Up until 3 years ago (and possibly still) all Post Office counter machines ran on NT4 as did Starbucks tills.

NSP

LE
boring work program-

it should work with xp, however it displays this message when I try to install?

can the I update the just the installer service cause I doubt there's a service pack update?
Go to MS website.

Type "Windows installer service" in search box.

Pick knowledge base result.

Find link to latest version of WIS download/update.

??????

Go to MS website.

Type "Windows installer service" in search box.

Pick knowledge base result.

Find link to latest version of WIS download/update.

??????
Cool I will give that a go,

You would probably be better off forgetting about it and just upgrade to W10.
We can't move from xp until we update the magaenent software, it's a rapey £15k + new hardware ect...

The money is ring fenced to do it, but there be lots of late nights & swearing to move

XP is alive & well in industry ;)
We still have a couple of heavily modified and rebuilt machines running on NT4. Obviously they have absolutely no networking or other connections, for a modicum of security.

ETA: Replacement software will mean new machines, at €280k each.

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
You haven't really provided enough information to enable a complete reply to be honest.

How does the application install? From a SETUP.EXE or an .MSI?

You haven't really provided enough information to enable a complete reply to be honest.

How does the application install? From a SETUP.EXE or an .MSI?
Who cares? Running anything on an unsupported Operating System is, well, er, unsupported...

Latest Threads