Newcastle

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Went to Newcastle once, came back from 18 months in Derry and did a KAPE tour.
Patrolled the Scotty Road and that in combat kit, SLRs etc as per NI.
Really missed the Saracens and Saladins. - some of them wife's were pretty tough.
Went there once. Took the whole regiment, recently back back from Omagh, one squadron direct from UNFICYP. Everyone carried his SMG. We took horses (later, took chieftains).

Mind it was to exercise the freedom of the city.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bits of Sunderland (ashbrooke, tunstall, seaburn) are canny. Other bits (Pennywell, Pallion, Hendon) are not so clever. Bit like everywhere really. Bit like Newcastle - Jesmond, Gosforth not so bad, Byker, Elswick shitty.

The truth is that most of the best bits of the region are outside the big cities - the Northumberland coast, the Cheviots, Hadrian's Wall, Tynemouth, Weardale etc etc.
I left Sunderland in 1975 to join a troop of knights that cared for neither wounds nor scars (Google it). Mines? Shipyards? Army? Easy life for me. Shipyards in decline, mines not obviously yet. Everything was so dirty it was monochrome. Depressing.

Been back once or twice since the mines and shipyards closed. They got over it. Everything I saw was green and vibrant and people on the up.

Maybe it's cos I left?

I left Sunderland in 1975 to join a troop of knights that cared for neither wounds nor scars (Google it). Mines? Shipyards? Army? Easy life for me. Shipyards in decline, mines not obviously yet. Everything was so dirty it was monochrome. Depressing.

Been back once or twice since the mines and shipyards closed. They got over it. Everything I saw was green and vibrant and people on the up.

Maybe it's cos I left?
Only thing that's not improved is the football team.

I used to love getting over to Whitley Bay on bank holiday Mondays. First time, was 2004, and it took all my girlfriend's persuasion to get me to go along, as I was expecting families and pensioners.

Wrong!

We got to the top of the main strip, and looked down at both sides of the street. Wall-to-wall boozers, with people drinking on the forecourts, and wall-to-wall (and wall-to-street) fanny. Names I remember are Easy St, Zync, Deep, Jimmiz. The other side of the street included 42nd Street, Envy, Bar Vegas, Breeze, and Pier 39. It was like a Saturday night transported to the East Coast.

I always got myself over there apart from a couple of unavoidable occasions. Sadly, Whitley Bay has died a death, with these places either closed down, or converted into flats/offices.

I used to love getting over to Whitley Bay on bank holiday Mondays. First time, was 2004, and it took all my girlfriend's persuasion to get me to go along, as I was expecting families and pensioners.

Wrong!

We got to the top of the main strip, and looked down at both sides of the street. Wall-to-wall boozers, with people drinking on the forecourts, and wall-to-wall (and wall-to-street) fanny. Names I remember are Easy St, Zync, Deep, Jimmiz. The other side of the street included 42nd Street, Envy, Bar Vegas, Breeze, and Pier 39. It was like a Saturday night transported to the East Coast.

I always got myself over there apart from a couple of unavoidable occasions. Sadly, Whitley Bay has died a death, with these places either closed down, or converted into flats/offices.
Try Jesmond

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My first job when I left school was at a firm ( Dunford Fire & Protection Ltd) just opposite St James' Park and the pub next door was The Lord Hill - now I think it's called the Magpie. Lunch time I used to walk up the road and down a side street to a small corner shop ( mind you, they all were then, no supermarkets) and buy a stottie with ham off the bone. Princely sum of 1s/6d.
I rarely drank in the pubs in Newcastle but often did in North Shields. Bugger! They were rough.

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Too many student types and jobsworth doormen, and over inflated beer prices just because it's Jesmond.
Jobsworth doormen? They tend not to last long. Met my close personal friend Jim the Door have you? Ex toothy and decorated. Jobsworth Doorman? Heh. Best you say that to his face. But stand away from me please. I am blood averse on my shirt.

Moving on. Any intelligence about the OP? I do hope he has decided to move to Edinburgh. It is lovely up there. They have a castle and all sorts.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Moving on. Any intelligence about the OP? I do hope he has decided to move to Edinburgh. It is lovely up there. They have a castle and all sorts.
Well I didn't have to move since I live here anyway but I am indeed doing my MSc at Edinburgh. It was [Ord_Sgt] considerably more expensive [/Ord_Sgt] than Newcastle but markedly more convenient.

Jobsworth doormen? They tend not to last long. Met my close personal friend Jim the Door have you? Ex toothy and decorated. Jobsworth Doorman? Heh. Best you say that to his face. But stand away from me please. I am blood averse on my shirt.

I know quite a few of them, some good blokes but far outnumbered by the jobsworth tossers now.

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
I know quite a few of them, some good blokes but far outnumbered by the jobsworth tossers now.
OK. But I do have a pic of me and Jim the Doors. In it I appear to be kissing him. And he appears to be quite enjoying it. It is our little secret.

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Well I didn't have to move since I live here anyway but I am indeed doing my MSc at Edinburgh. It was [Ord_Sgt] considerably more expensive [/Ord_Sgt] than Newcastle but markedly more convenient.
Thats nice.

In Newcastle town centre at the mo. I have never seen so many Greggs shops in one place in my life. Nit even Glasgow.

In Newcastle town centre at the mo. I have never seen so many Greggs shops in one place in my life. Nit even Glasgow.
If you head up the west road just past junction for Gloucester road you'll find the bargain Gregg where the sell yesterday's pasties for half price and big bags of broken millionaires shortbread for 50p. Dinner of champions.

If you head up the west road just past junction for Gloucester road you'll find the bargain Gregg where the sell yesterday's pasties for half price and big bags of broken millionaires shortbread for 50p. Dinner of champions.
Cheers mate but i settled for wine and fried chicken in The Forth.

Radio 4 had an article on how shite the food was in parts of Newcastle.

Seems there are streets where there are food shops? in the worst terms and not one has any fresh fruit or veg.

Its Mushy pees and deep fried fat for most to them , between betting their dole and getting more cash from the same day loan shop.

Elswick road is either fast food, betting shops or charity shops. I think Iraq was slightly cleaner than that hole.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Army Reserve 35
E The NAAFI Bar 2
B Finance, Property, Law 0