Newcastle - nice place or not?

Newcastle nice place or not?

  • N0 - I agree with Biscuits A_B - It's a shiiite hole full of spiteful little people.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunno - never been.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    3
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#21
Warrior_Poet said:
Well as Newcastle seems to get voted top party City in UK on a regular basis Biscuits is talking out of his arrse. Methinks he probably did the impossible and failed to score there. Like any inner city, Newcastle has its problems the difference is, we don't have Billions of Pounds of taxes subsidising our population like say Scotland.. The reality is, you get out of the toon what you take with you, if you go looking for a good time, you'll have a great time, you go looking for trouble, you'll get it in spades as the Krays found to their cost.

Just because we are friendly and have a sense of humour is no reason to think we'll not kick your fecking teeth in if the need arises!!

I wonder what fine part of the UK Biscuits hails from?
Has 'Wor Lass' let you near the keyboard again? There's more to City than a party culture, which generally attracts criminals intent on prospering from the good natured visitors.

I don't agree that you get out of Newcastle what you put in, I feel that you generally leave Newcastle without that which you took there in the first place....... like your car.

You do have subsidies but south of the border they are referred to as 'essential financial support for the infrastructure'.

As for your threats of violence, well that about sums you Geordies up doesn't it? Or was 'Wor Lass' operating the keyboard that time?
 
#22
What a waste of a God Given talent gascoigne was though!.............................. Had he had decent backing vocals he could have made number one!
 
#23
I originate from Durham but with the Army then other jobs have basically been away from the area since 74 but have gone back every year to see family and friends. Also with the job I got when I came out I worked the area in '90 and on odd periods since then up to '03.

I have noticed that ALL of the towns and cities have changed there, especially in the last 15 years. Areas of Boro, Hartlepool, Darlington and Newcastle have become no-go areas, and the practice of dumping all problem families into estates has not helped.

Regeneration in the county has helped but has left a 2 tier system of good housing cheek to jowl with sh#te. Even where my parents live just south of Durham city there are more chavs than you can shake a stick at, but they weren't BORN there - they have been housed by County councils and spreading the problem wider.

My experience of Newcastle was it was OK for a night out as long as you kept away from the centre itself and the market area. I found most people friendly, you get gobby sh#tes anywhere, but the centre itself has changed as someone else pointed out. When you get the title of fun place for night life it also brings in the druggies and scum - some of the trouble that happens there is not home grown.

Like anywhere else if you are careful and keep your wits about you when you go out, you can spot the problems and know where to avoid. This is the same in any city. I certainly think Newcastle is better/safer than Glasgow, Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham and Northampton but I dare say others will come on and say they know of areas in those cities where there are no problems.

I have found Boro is not as friendly as it was, even Bishop Auckland is starting to look like Romford with chavs and pikies all over the place but I think that is just the general state of our country.

If you fancy a grim time go to some of the London boroughs I have had to work in, or even Croydon where I am now and see the mass migration going out of the area to escape the pond life round here.

In short, I think Geordies in general like scousers or Brummies or Yorkies are generally hospitable and friendly. Sadly the up and coming generation in all these places are less so, but that reflects on the general collapse of our society in general, not just a particular Regional problem.

Oh, and the same advice for anyone - keep out of a city centre when it's the football season - anywhere in the country! :roll:
 
#24
Was there myself last month, and never saw a bit of trouble, out on the lash in the City Centre. Never felt unsafe, at any point, where as, I can not say the same about other large towns/cities - Paisley, Liverpool and Swansea spring to mind.

By the way, going by a previous post, when the fcuk did Northampton become a city?

Personally speaking, I definitely do not have a problem with the Toon. Absolutely brilliant night on the town, Geordie women are great, and, on the whole, up for a laugh and some craic. Just don't drink that sludge that they call Newkie Brown!!!!

Newcastle, certainly isn't as good looking a city, as say Edinburgh, but, to be honest, most of us aren't going there for the culture or aesthetics, are we?
 
#25
Biscuits_AB said:
Warrior_Poet said:
Well as Newcastle seems to get voted top party City in UK on a regular basis Biscuits is talking out of his arrse. Methinks he probably did the impossible and failed to score there. Like any inner city, Newcastle has its problems the difference is, we don't have Billions of Pounds of taxes subsidising our population like say Scotland.. The reality is, you get out of the toon what you take with you, if you go looking for a good time, you'll have a great time, you go looking for trouble, you'll get it in spades as the Krays found to their cost.

Just because we are friendly and have a sense of humour is no reason to think we'll not kick your fecking teeth in if the need arises!!

I wonder what fine part of the UK Biscuits hails from?
Has 'Wor Lass' let you near the keyboard again? There's more to City than a party culture, which generally attracts criminals intent on prospering from the good natured visitors.

I don't agree that you get out of Newcastle what you put in, I feel that you generally leave Newcastle without that which you took there in the first place....... like your car.

You do have subsidies but south of the border they are referred to as 'essential financial support for the infrastructure'.

As for your threats of violence, well that about sums you Geordies up doesn't it? Or was 'Wor Lass' operating the keyboard that time?
Just out of interest Biscuits, where do you live :?

Having spent 16 years in Edinburgh, and the next 24 all over the place, Newcastle is the only place I feel is close to being home.

To me it's a decent city with decent people and a few decent eateries plus it's close enough to be a good starting point for getting to many other places when the need to travel comes upon Lady Sybil and I.
 
#26
Hitlerwasabitnaughty said:
Newcastle, certainly isn't as good looking a city, as say Edinburgh, but, to be honest, most of us aren't going there for the culture or aesthetics, are we?
Given that Edninburgh is generally rated as one of the most attractive cities in Europe that much is obvious... where in the UK would give it a run? Bath? York? Neither are large cities really. There isn't much competition.

Newcastle does compare very favourably to other industrial towns / cities - not just Sunderland and Boro but the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield etc, as it was among the larger cities long before the Industrial Revolution and has a bit of history, in the form of the cathedral, timber buildings on the quayside, guildhall etc.



Grey Street in Newcastle was named as one of Britain's best streets in a poll among listeners of the BBC's Today programme. John Betjeman once described Grey Street, which sweeps from the city centre towards the historic Quayside as 'the most imposing facade in Western Europe' . Newcastle has more listed buildings per square mile than almost any other city in the UK over 1,700, of these 88 have Grade1 status, twice the national average.

Newcastle lies at the heart of the ancient kingdom of Northumbria, famous for its glorious unspoilt countryside, beautiful coastline and rich heritage. Whether your interest is in history, nature, the arts or sport, Newcastle makes an ideal base. It has a wide selection of hotels, restaurants and entertainment for every taste. Local places of interest include two locations which have been named World Heritage Sites. Durham Cathedral, which is one of the most beautiful Gothic churches in the world and the equaly impressive Hadrian's Wall are both within easy travelling distance of Newcastle.
 
#27
Let's not forget that 'Edwin's Burgh' was originally a Northumbrian outpost.

Newcastle was founded in 1080 = centuries before most other industrial cities in the UK.
 
#30
I lived and worked there for two years after marrying a Geordie lass and for a soft, southern, shandy drinker, the best compliment a man can get is honorary geordie. Absolutely loved the place, still go to visit my mates and if you want a real sh!t hole go to Portsmouth.
 
#31
By the way, going by a previous post, when the fcuk did Northampton become a city?

If you check back on my post I did say towns/cities when listing some of the places
 
#32
I love Newcastle - the women there are real salt of the earth and have armorplated skin like armadilloes! :)
 
#34
All things are relative, I'd take Newcastle over Basrah or Bogota, but I'd happily watch all three go up in smoke and have a night out in Berlin, Bath or Barcelona instead.
 
#35
IMHO Newcastle is beautiful city i'll chuck Leeds & Bradford into the equation as a contrast. Out of interest i'd like to know which areas of Newcastle/Boro/Hartlepool & Darlington are classed as "no go" areas, as was posted earlier in the thread?

Commander_Vimes said:
Just out of interest Biscuits, where do you live :?
Somewhere that is frequently referred to as the over spill of Catterick Garrison. :D
 
#36
Cait said:
IMHO Newcastle is beautiful city i'll chuck Leeds & Bradford into the equation as a contrast. Out of interest i'd like to know which areas of Newcastle/Boro/Hartlepool & Darlington are classed as "no go" areas, as was posted earlier in the thread?

Commander_Vimes said:
Just out of interest Biscuits, where do you live :?
Somewhere that is frequently referred to as the over spill of Catterick Garrison. :D
Last time I went out for a few refreshments in Newcastle my local tour guide told me to steer clear of anybody from Gateshead... still not sure if I managed that? :?
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#37
Did you still have your wallet in the morning? If so, you adhered to the advice given.
 
#38
The quayside is good on the ale (but can be pricey) Scumcastle in general is a good night however it is full of dirty inbread geordie B?@tards!!!!! FTM!!!!!
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#39
AndyPipkin said:
Let's not forget that 'Edwin's Burgh' was originally a Northumbrian outpost.

Newcastle was founded in 1080 = centuries before most other industrial cities in the UK.
Yep, and it's industry closed down before most them as well. Apart from the 'car ringing' industry, which has seen a boom in recent times.
 
#40
Its best to avoid the area around Central Station, we get all sorts of vagabonds there from North Of The Border who have been thrown off the train for smelling of urine.They hang around the station thus lowering the tone of the whole city. Why even Somali asylum seekers have complained about the Mogadishu Mentality of these undesirables.

Is it true that those deploying on Telic are now being sent to Glasgow for OPTAG training?
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top