Newcastle Military Museum is it open?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Krieg-Hammer, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am going to Newcastle this weekend and plan on visiting. Came across a site that said it was closed though. :eek:(

If it is open, are there tracked vehicles in it?

Thanks

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Never heard of a Military Museum in Newcastle.

The Discovery Museum in Newcastle ( News & Events • Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums ) news page shows no indication that it's closed. It houses the regimental museum of 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars (antecedents to the Light Dragoons, 1922 - 1992) on the top floor (last time I visited). It was set up largely by my first troop leader, but the LD website tells me it has recently been refurbished.

No tracks: it's on the top floor. There are CVR(T)s in nearby Fenham Bks (LD Home HQ and Regimental Association) but it's a working TA barracks so you'd be lucky to get in unless you're an Association member and they are not walk around museum pieces anyway.

Museum is still worth the trip in the absence of anything better imho, but like I say, it's been a while.

3. Newcastle had a military vehicle museum which recently closed to my discovery this morning. So I am wondering if the vehicles have been shifted elsewhere to another location or if its all finally wound up.