Newcastle Brown to be brewed in Tadcaster

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. I also wonder if it will still be called " Brown Dog " or " Rocket Fuel ".

In my youth it was always drunk from a schooner 1/2 pint glass and served with botlle top removed and the inverted glass on top .
  3. It's just going the way of other brands. Boddingtons went a similar way when they were bought out by Anheuser–Busch. The cream of Manchester is now brewed in Wales and Scotland.

The harsh reality of globalisation.
  4. my first scar on my face was due to a bottle of dog..............
    o happy days...........

:omfg: :omfg: :omfg: :omfg: :omfg: :omfg: :omfg:
  5. Try Baggywrinkle Brown Ale from the Nelson Brewery.
  6. Its still served that way round most of the old clubs in Newcastle/ Northumberland. Also in most the pubs if you ask for it.

I remember this story being on the news ages ago, thought it had allready happened.

Mainly a drink for the older fella's these days, and is relegated to being drunk in most of the working mens clubs which are also in decline.
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Christ, I'd be hard put to name a boozer in the center of town that would serve you a bottle of Dog with a schooner glass over the top. Maybe Walker or Longbenton or down Shields?

But hey... they nicked our coal mines, shipbuilding, steel works, our football club and now our beer.

Fuck 'em. We're earning, living is cheap, we've got some of the best beaches, hills and castles in the world and the Toon is still a top ten venue for going out and giving it some.

*Edit* Just thought. The Welly in High Bridge and the Monkey Bar on Pilgrim Street both serve Dog with a Schooner glass.

*Edit v02* And the Long Bar at the back of the Grainger Market. And the Balmoral half way up Westgate Road. The Bodega maybe?

*Edit v03* The Adelphi off of Market Street. Terry says he has packed it in but he's around a lot and his lass is still behind the bar. Hmmmm.

*Edit v04* The Irish Club at the top of Stowell Street maybe? I wouldnt know. I'm barred.
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Jesus, don't. The worst pint I've ever had in my life was Samuel Smith's 'Taddy Lager' in a pub in York (little place down by the Ouse, close to the bridge near the Aviva building - The King's something or other I think).

The temptation to dip my pint glass in the river to collect something more palatable to remove the taste of that foul brew from my mouth was almost overwhelming.
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The Black Bull up Gallowgate. The Three Bulls Heads in Percy Street. Maybe the Strawb opposite St. James, although it seems to have gone all wine bar of late? The Beehive, The Blackie Boy and the Half moon in the Big Market but not the Pig & Whistle unless they have started making Dog in plastic bottles.

You see what you have started here?
  10. Some memorable pub names there ID ... I have a memory being in the Blackie Boy the day Kennedy was shot .

I always reckoned you drank faster from a 1/2 pint glass anyway ... but it did give a bit of class when you graduated to real Brown Ale .... until you walked outside the pub and the fresh air hit you ... then you hit the ground ... well I normally did .

Edited .... minor text mod .
  11. Really? I sup the "Alpine Brew" when I'm in that neck of the woods and it's nectar.
  12. It`ll never taste the same. Change brewery, change water! Back in the dark ages I used to drink Trophy, (I was near Scunthorpe) moved to Bulford, Trophy was shite! They changed the brewery. Why do you think Guiness moved back to Dublin from London? I stick to real ale these days.

Once a............... always a............
    But once a night is enough!
  13. boddys was never the same brew when it left madchester :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(