Newbie saying hello, now with added first post questions....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by kinny, Sep 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, i thought i would say hi before bombarding the forum with questions you have probably heard before....

I was linked to this site from a friend who used to be an ammo tech in the Army and he said i would be able to ask for some advice,

I applied when i was 20 and was told from my aptitude test results that jobs like Ammo Tech , and avionics Tech would be good choices and although i was fully committed to joining up, my situation changed meaning i had to delay it at the time.

Im now 25 and have decided that the Army would be a wise choice of career for me.

My main questions are - (sorry for the list but its probably easier than me typing a page of waffle and you having to try and find the questions!)

1. At 25 will i be at a disadvantage with all the 18+ folks joining up??

2. Would i still be wise going for either a job like Ammo/Avionics tech?
    (cynically i have been told that they may have just been trying to meet targets when i first applied)

3 . If i was to go for the 2 jobs above, where would i be likely to be stationed?

4. With all due respect to the folks in the recruitment centres , should i be wary of them trying to push me towards any jobs that are needing new recruits urgently ?

5. Is there anywhere i can find a bit more detail of the day to day role of a ammo/avionics tech other than the army website?

Cheers for any advice and sorry to make my first post full of questions!!

John

2. John,

Welcome to the site. Most of your questions can be answered by using the search button and some time. You'll have a good laugh en route!

You probably scored quite well for those trades to feature in the conversation; you probably need Maths GCSE Grade C or better, with English and a Science on top for both of them. Lots of science and maths on the courses. More for Avionics than Ammo Tech.

Avionics Techs belong to the REME, and fix aircraft electronics. Ammo Techs belong to the RLC and fix ammunition.... well, inspect and condemn it. On balance, if you can hack the maths, go REME - you promote quicker and are paid more. Beware that it is a long course near Reading which, for some strange reason hasn't yet featured in the other thread that is currently running (the worst place to live in the UK....)! Try drilling down to the RLC and REME websites for further information.

At 25, you'll have the maturity and the stamina that the young lads don't have. However, the majority of your cohort will be 18-22. If you think you can survive, go for it. Once the time promotion is out of the way, you may find you will promote faster than your contemporaries.

ACIOs will always try and fill their vacancies. So, that will be the Infantry for you, then? :D

Litotes

3. 1. At 25 will i be at a disadvantage with all the 18+ folks joining up??

2. Would i still be wise going for either a job like Ammo/Avionics tech?
    (cynically i have been told that they may have just been trying to meet targets when i first applied)

3 . If i was to go for the 2 jobs above, where would i be likely to be stationed?

4. With all due respect to the folks in the recruitment centres , should i be wary of them trying to push me towards any jobs that are needing new recruits urgently ?

5. Is there anywhere i can find a bit more detail of the day to day role of a ammo/avionics tech other than the army website?

1) not at all, more mature and more life experience stereotypically

2) if that's what you wish, stick to your guns

3) not a clue

4) you should be weary, but often they are genuinly suggesting, don't confuse the 2, it's their job to advise and not just spoon feed (apparently)

5) probably on some website that offers holidays to follow in the footsteps of the SAS fan dance.

4. Cheers for all the replies folks, and the links - not sure how i missed them when searching!?!?

The mobile recruitment trailer parked up outside my work today!
    (coincidence? you be the judge!) and after a lengthy chat wth them i've decided on Ammo tech as my first choice as i feel i would possibly struggle with the training for Avionics tech.

Looking forward to getting the ball rolling and really excited about getting stuck in to which ever route i choose.

Cheers again for the help folks! John

oh by the way , im having massive difficulty logging in and every time i try to post or move pages it struggles? is it a common problem on here or has my PC had it?