Newbie: Ribbon medal sewing advice for hapless wife.

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by charlibabes, May 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope someone here can help. My husband is in the Police Force and has been given some ribbons to sew onto his uniform for a medal presentation. I know they should go just above the left hand breast pocket but I have no idea how thick they should be or whether you sew the sides down once you have folded them over.

I was planning to wind them around a piece of cardboard as a template and use fabric glue to stick the ribbon to itself and then sew the finished ribbon 'oblong' onto the tunic. I thought sewing the sides 'shut' might look messy and glue might work better.... what is usual? Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks
  2. STOP!!!

Dont do it yourself, you can buy ready made medal ribbons, ring them up, tell them what you need, they put them together, you sew them above left hand pocket.

They post them on the same day you order, so the ribbons are normally with you next day.

Better to be safe than sorry.
  3. Now that sounds like a much better idea :) I knew someone would be able to help! Just need to see if they do the same ribbons... one is long service, not sure what the other one is 8O