New Zealand... to emigrate and work?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by PandaLOVE, Feb 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs O2 and me are looking into a life in NZ and was wondering if any ARRSE'ers have any personal experience or knowledge of NZ? Maybe snippets of useful info that you've heard from others?

Websites paint a perfect picture but I'm keen to learn about harsh realities, like, does Tony Blair plan to live there after Downing St, go into NZ politics and run for Priminister!

Many thanks.

2. I went to NZ between September and December to see what it was like,with a view of getting a job, to be honest I was really disapointed. but it depends what your after. If your looking at moving there perm not coming back to the UK then maybe but the wages are crap even for the cost of living over there. There isnt much infrastructure and jobs are few and far between.
    My favourite places were Queenstown, Havelock (next to Picton when you get off the ferry on the South Island), Wellington and Christchurch.
    Its a beautifull country just very quite and not much going on.
    If you need any more info feel free to PM me, I travelled both islands by car and there wasnt many places I didnt go to.
    Apologies for spelling and grammer but hungover and not that bothered

3. Brother in Law has been there for 3 years now and loves the place. As Disco pointed out wages aren't much cop and depending on you skill set jobs can be few and far between.
    The brother in law's trek started in a major city on North Island for around 12 Months before chucking that job and moving out into the sticks. He works part time for a telecoms company and runs his own IT consultancy the remainder of the time. He lives mortgage free thanks to his 22 year lump sum. From his emails it has been no bed of roses for him and the family, but at the end of the day he feels more Kiwi than Brit now and has no intention of ever returning to the UK.
  4. Thanks DISCOS, thanks Baldrick66. I appreciate the offer to PM you DISCOS, I will take you up on that once I have a couple of decent, more personal questions.

Wifeoid and me have learned that NZ has a high drugs and youth problem and that 1 in 5 people have been the target of crime. Car theft being common. I was surprised by all this. I wonder how you feel about your feeling of well being and safety? Someone takes my old car I can live with that. Someone breaks into my house and I would not be comfortable.... nor would the breaker inner but that's not the point!

Regarding not a lot going on... that's suits me fine! I'd adapt to the outdoor life and so would my kids!

Thanks once again.

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Suggest that if you haven't got it already, you get a copy of " Living and working in New Zealand" by Joy Muirhead.

It is excellent reading, v informative and gives you a great deal of web site links.
  6. Hahaha! Wife tells me we have it! She didn't tell me! Thanks ITC. :thumleft:

7. One useful snippet of information is that less people return after emergrating to NZ than any other country. Oh and I wouldn't worry to much on the drugs and teenage crime front. Once you start reading up on it a major teenage drugs ring down there is four lads sharing a spliff on a saturday night. Ok not quite but its still far removed Moss Side or St Pauls.
  8. Harsh reality No 1 is Helen Clark. But then most Kiwis don't really care about her as they live here in Oz. Nice place to visit, lots of scenery etc.
  9. Helen Clark? Who is she? (My guess either a Kiwi Myra Hindley or UKs Maggie Thatcher... so much the same I 'spose!)
  10. Helen Clark. Googled, found. What's the problem with her DEEFER?
  11. Ref the crime drug problem etc, the only places I saw anything like that was Rotorua and Taupo, the really big touristy places.
    The south Island people still dont have locks on their doors etc and are really friendly, the bigger places like Auckland and Wellington are the hotspots, but I never felt threatend once.
    The only hassle I had was grief about rugby, and that was off a South Afican!!
    Oh and if you like your fishing, Picton and Kerikeri/Pahia (northlands) highly recommended. Taupo is good but really touristy.
    For anything a bit mad, Queenstown is the place, I did the Nevis bungy but they have everything down there, touristy but an amazing place. Good on the piss to
  12. O2thief
    check her out under wikepedia , viz "controversies" She is the Cherie Blair of the southern hemisphere, a labour leftie (and a left handed thread ?) a complete and utter politician in fact. But apart from that, NZ is a nice place to visit. If you are serious about migrating, try Oz or Canada.
  13. Thanks DEEFER. I can't imagine anyone else being as bad as Cherie Blair! Yes, we've thought about Vancouver Island, Canada and also Tazmania. Googling as we speak!
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I take it you are in early discussions about a move?
  15. Yes, we have been tottering about with the thought for about three years but never really got down to planning. 'Tinternet makes life easier that's for sure. At one point we were going back to England because the houses looked quite well priced compared to NI!

We appreciate that it could take quite a long time to get out 'there' (where ever that will be) with paperwork etc. but have considered this and are in no panic just yet!