New Zealand South Island

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Wobblyhead, Jul 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'll be wandering around New Zealand South Island, in the Christchurch area for a week.

What's to see?
    What's the public transport like?
    Any recommendations of cheap, but not flea pit, hotels?

Thanks in advance,

Wob

2. I stayed in the Youth Hostel, it was fine. Just wonder around, it was a really pretty city, not sure what it's like nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The public transport is pretty good, the buses go everywhere more or less and frequently.
    I don't know of any cheap hotels as I haven't had to stay in one there.

The city center is worth a look, see what damage has been done and imagine what it was once like, the Avon head river and is still nice though. Too bad its winter as it looks much nicer in summer.
    The botanic gardens is worth a look, they're pretty nice. As is Hagley park.

I'd try take a trip out to Mt Mutt area as it's pretty nice out there, could even go skiing if you wanted.
    There's a fair bit of nice country side to see if you head out to Mt Hutt or the other way out to Oxford, but you'd really need your own transport to make the most of it all.

4. Depend what kinda stuff your into I guess and how far out of Christchruch you want to go and how much of Canterbury you hope to see.

5. What's to see? Rubble lots of it!, take a day down in Akaroa, quite a pleasant day trip and have the Fish and Chips there. The Canterbury was quite a good waste of an afternoon with lots of beer sunk!
    What's the public transport like? Cheap and clean and good
    Any recommendations of cheap, but not flea pit, hotels? Stay out of tall buildings there have been earth quakes, there are plenty of motel, BnB type places around Christchurch. The youth hostel in the centre of town isn't bad, get a single room though.
    My Uncle lives there and says that the place in parts is still recovering from the last big quake to hit it, so not everything might be up to scratch, but bear with it. If you are there for a Saturday there will be rugby if you want to watch, that is cheap to do and another excuse to drink.
    There is stuff to do, but I can't remember it all, last time I was there was five years ago before the quake and it was a good place then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. There's some places that looks like they've just chucked out a million road cones and done nothing else to it, some places are pretty much back to normal.
    If you want to see a area badly effected go to New Brighton, the beach ain't that flash but there is a large wharf like the UK Brighton, which is where I assume they got the name from, and it certainly looks like an earthquake has been there.

7. I stayed at, 'Rendezvous on Rattray' in Rattray Street, Riccarton, Christchurch. A self catering B&B. Good and clean and cheap. Well, it was in March 2011 anyway. Riccarton is where the nightlife gravitated to. There's a nice restaurant called, 'the Running Bull' in Riccarton. Great for ribs and steaks.

If you get an order of fish and chips from a chip shop, always ask for fish in batter or you will get breadcrumbed fish. Also ask for no salt or they will put about one pound of salt on your fish and chips. The vinegar isn't very nice. Odd to have an opinion on Vinegar but there it is.

You could visit the Antarctic Centre right next to Christchurch Airport. It's really good.

We hired a car from Jucy rentals. It was from their, 'El Cheapo' range. Just a high mileage old vehicle but good and cheap never the less. We were met from Christchurch Airport and taken to their office for rental formalities before getting the car keys.

Buses are good, reliable and cheap in Christchurch. We took the Number 5 bus to Southshore when we went to New Brighton. The beach is lovely. The pier is modern, they light it up at night. Go to, 'Salt on the Pier' at New Brighton for their happy hour. Speights is the local brew. Ask for a handle of Speights. That's about a pint in a glass with a handle on it.

If you go on a Sunday there's a guy that flies kites for a hobby on the beach. He ties the strings of the dirigibles to a fence and just lets them float on the air all afternoon. Nice to see on a sunny afternoon in Winter.

'Beat Street' café on Barbadoes Street is good for an expensive coffee and cake at elevenses. If you're wandering towards Linwood after walking round Hagley Park and seeing the Avon River.

They've got the go ahead to demolish the Cathedral in Christchurch. Go and 'salvage' a brick as a souvenir now that the red zone CBD cordon has been lifted.

You could venture out into Linwood where I used to live. There's a café there called, 'After the red verandah'. It's on Worcester Street, Linwood. It's right on the corner where we used to live. I got food from there because they opened for business after the earthquake the very first day we moved in. I got lunch for the furniture moving guys. I'm nice like that.

Admittedly we were then living next door as the building was demolished and rebuilt over the next few weeks. Anyway, that's life in an earthquake zone !

8. He quite obviously meant 'fush and chups'. Do forgive him.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Damn, I forgot my New Zealand bastardisation of vowels! You are, however, correct!

10. Thank you for taking the bait so readily. I can rest easy now.

(There's a difference in the way Kiwi's and Aussies say fish and chips. Get a kiwi and an Aussie together and it's like listening to their mating call, 'fish and chups, feesh and cheps repeated ad nauseam)

• Like Like x 1
  11. You takin the puss?

Having spent a happy 3 months in enzed, plus worked with a couple of RNZN Officers for 18 months or so, I can happily say it's one of the nicest countries in the world.

Just don't go to the West Coast of the South Island.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Damn right bru; Greymouth, Grey by name, Grey by nature, the locals were nice enough though. The town was as bleak, dreary, gloomy, dismal and desolate a place as I have ever been.

Worked with many enzed-ers, all been great guys and girls!

13. I'd heard Dunedin was a bit pants, can anyone confirm or deny? Anywhere else that's best to avoid? Only got a few weeks on the South Island and I'm keen to make the most of my time.