New Zealand Qualify For World Cup 2010

Just caught the back end of the play off on Eurosport and what a shame that there are very capable teams in Europe that aren't going, when footballing no mark teams like NZ go through. It was like watching a Blue Square North game. The NZ centre forward, Shane Smeltz couldn't even get a game at my club, Mansfield and ended up playing for AFC Wimbledon in the Ryman League.

I just hope that we get them in our group.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
the_guru said:
Just caught the back end of the play off on Eurosport and what a shame that there are very capable teams in Europe that aren't going, when footballing no mark teams like NZ go through. It was like watching a Blue Square North game. The NZ centre forward, Shane Smeltz couldn't even get a game at my club, Mansfield and ended up playing for AFC Wimbledon in the Ryman League.

I just hope that we get them in our group.
My bold. I hope you are not including Scotland in that statement as at the moment the Scottish football team are shoite.

p.s. I am a sweaty

Congrats to NZ.

No point in complaining now about an extra place for a European country - it was NZ or Bahrain to go through, and I'm glad it was NZ that made it.

Will NZ, Oz & SA be in the same group :) ?

Good for the Kiwis, most of the team play in the Oz domestic league which is generally regarded as of a similar standard to the English 3rd div.

I am glad to see them going through, doesn't change the fact that they are a pretty ordinary side.

As for the groups we Aussies are praying for England in the first round. Easy 3 points :)

edit to add: Actually the hype is that the Oz league is of English 3rd div standard. On a good day it probably is.

Mr_Farenheit said:
Good for the Kiwis, most of the team play in the Oz domestic league which is generally regarded as of a similar standard to the English 3rd div.

Easy 3 points :) Remember Croatia

quote]

Equivalent to the Scottish Premier then :D

Yes congrats to New Zealand, made it through by a Goal scored by Rory Fallon, just a shame he doesn't score many for his Championship team Plymouth Argyle, hopefully this is a sign of things to come!

8)

Erm are the Kiwis not hosting the next World Cup :?

And is it not in 2011 :?

8O Wait you mean its not Rugby Union you're talking about

:oops: Its okay the driver has turned up with me coat!!

the_guru said:
I hope we get the Crims and the Kiwis.
My bold, careful what you wish for mate, 3-1 to the "Crims" last time at Upton Park in 2003. Ok, it was a friendly, but I recall that Sven Eriksson bloke saying he was glad England didn't draw Oz in Germany. We would be quietly confident* about a World Cup rematch!

*We don't really do 'quietly confident' but you know what I mean :)

I couldn't have set it up any easier for you.

I KNEW some Crim would bark that stat. That was the game where Sven changed the whole team at half time. That inconsequential match was your WC final. England are a different proposition these days.

I'd welcome the Crims in our group, any day.

the_guru said:
I couldn't have set it up any easier for you.

I KNEW some Crim would bark that stat. That was the game where Sven changed the whole team at half time. That inconsequential match was your WC final. England are a different proposition these days.

I'd welcome the Crims in our group, any day.
So are we. I doubt we will score three goals in the whole tournament, let alone in one game :)

Seriously though, despite our current difficulty in scoring goals, there is a feeling, rightly or wrongly that England just aren't one of the big threats to us (possibly because so many of our first team side play there).

Latest Threads