New Zealand Qualify For World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by the_guru, Nov 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just caught the back end of the play off on Eurosport and what a shame that there are very capable teams in Europe that aren't going, when footballing no mark teams like NZ go through. It was like watching a Blue Square North game. The NZ centre forward, Shane Smeltz couldn't even get a game at my club, Mansfield and ended up playing for AFC Wimbledon in the Ryman League.

I just hope that we get them in our group.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My bold. I hope you are not including Scotland in that statement as at the moment the Scottish football team are shoite.

p.s. I am a sweaty
  3. Congrats to NZ.

No point in complaining now about an extra place for a European country - it was NZ or Bahrain to go through, and I'm glad it was NZ that made it.

Will NZ, Oz & SA be in the same group :) ?
  4. Good for the Kiwis, most of the team play in the Oz domestic league which is generally regarded as of a similar standard to the English 3rd div.

I am glad to see them going through, doesn't change the fact that they are a pretty ordinary side.

As for the groups we Aussies are praying for England in the first round. Easy 3 points :)

edit to add: Actually the hype is that the Oz league is of English 3rd div standard. On a good day it probably is.
  6. Yes congrats to New Zealand, made it through by a Goal scored by Rory Fallon, just a shame he doesn't score many for his Championship team Plymouth Argyle, hopefully this is a sign of things to come!

7. Erm are the Kiwis not hosting the next World Cup :?

And is it not in 2011 :?

8O Wait you mean its not Rugby Union you're talking about

:oops: Its okay the driver has turned up with me coat!!
  8. The game was awful to watch. But I guess I'd rather NZ went than Bahrain.

I hope we get the Crims and the Kiwis.

Add some spice.
  9. Great news.

Well done the kiwis :D
  10. My bold, careful what you wish for mate, 3-1 to the "Crims" last time at Upton Park in 2003. Ok, it was a friendly, but I recall that Sven Eriksson bloke saying he was glad England didn't draw Oz in Germany. We would be quietly confident* about a World Cup rematch!

*We don't really do 'quietly confident' but you know what I mean :)
  11. I couldn't have set it up any easier for you.

I KNEW some Crim would bark that stat. That was the game where Sven changed the whole team at half time. That inconsequential match was your WC final. England are a different proposition these days.

I'd welcome the Crims in our group, any day.
  12. So are we. I doubt we will score three goals in the whole tournament, let alone in one game :)

Seriously though, despite our current difficulty in scoring goals, there is a feeling, rightly or wrongly that England just aren't one of the big threats to us (possibly because so many of our first team side play there).
  13. How many of those play for the top 6 sides?
  14. Will they do the haka before kick off?