New Zealand is closed

It has just been announced by the Prime Minister that NZ is closed for at least two weeks due to the Coronavirus.
Apparently no one gets in or out.
No cruise ships will be allowed to dock until the end of June.

I am waiting for all the bleating and screeching to start.

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
Not quite. Agree the cruise ships will not be allowed to disembark, but anyone entering the country will be required to self isolate for 14 days, no exceptions.

Not quite. Agree the cruise ships will not be allowed to disembark, but anyone entering the country will be required to self isolate for 14 days, no exceptions.
Serious answer.
Do you really think that in this day and age of entitled behaviour that people will self isolate, it will apply to everyone else but not me will be the attitude.
Also, how would it be monitored?

It has just been announced by the Prime Minister that NZ is closed for at least two weeks due to the Coronavirus.
Apparently no one gets in or out.
No cruise ships will be allowed to dock until the end of June.

I am waiting for all the bleating and screeching to start.
Will anyone notice? Its tucked down at the bottom of the world anyway.

Serious answer.
Do you really think that in this day and age of entitled behaviour that people will self isolate, it will apply to everyone else but not me will be the attitude.
Also, how would it be monitored?
I recall during Foot and Mouth (or Mad Cow?) isolation time how 'ramblers' would be w@nking off about their 'rights' as farmers pleaded with them NOT to cross the boundaries.
If ever I'd supported Farmer Palmer and 'Get Orfff Moi Land!", this was the time.

Will anyone notice? Its tucked down at the bottom of the world anyway.
Super Rugby takes a hit.

The cancellation of the Super Rugby season is looking more and more likely after the New Zealand Government today issued a directive for all travellers entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days due to the threat of coronavirus.

The advice relates to New Zealand residents as well as foreigners, making the continuation of Super Rugby in the country a near impossibility for the remainder of the season.

While it would not make any official comment on the future of the tournament, SANZAAR said it was "reviewing the full impact on the Super Rugby tournament".

The decision is likely the hammer blow that will cause an already-compromised competition to cease this season.
Already, Japanese team the Sunwolves have been forced to play outside Japan since mid-February, while Sunday's (AEDT) clash between the Jaguares and Highlanders will be played behind closed doors.

Games in Australia welcome crowds in round 7 this weekend but will be played in empty stadiums from next week - if the competition goes ahead.

I've just been chatting to some mates who emigrated to both Australia and New Zealand about reunion later this year. A good friend in Melbourne wanted to visit his mother for her 95th birthday and has now had to cancel this.

There was something on Radio Four in the discussion about the US flight ban saying that cancelling 90% of the flights into the UK would only delay the onset of the epidemic between 4 to 10 days

Super Rugby takes a hit.

The cancellation of the Super Rugby season is looking more and more likely after the New Zealand Government today issued a directive for all travellers entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days due to the threat of coronavirus.

The advice relates to New Zealand residents as well as foreigners, making the continuation of Super Rugby in the country a near impossibility for the remainder of the season.

While it would not make any official comment on the future of the tournament, SANZAAR said it was "reviewing the full impact on the Super Rugby tournament".

The decision is likely the hammer blow that will cause an already-compromised competition to cease this season.
Already, Japanese team the Sunwolves have been forced to play outside Japan since mid-February, while Sunday's (AEDT) clash between the Jaguares and Highlanders will be played behind closed doors.

Games in Australia welcome crowds in round 7 this weekend but will be played in empty stadiums from next week - if the competition goes ahead.
They are even talking about cancelling or postponing theolympics in Tokyo.

I left the services last year and started recently as a consultant. The company has largely instructed everyone to work from home where possible. But the work will dry up and I am genuinely worried how long I will have a job for. The pension is good, but not enough to live on.

I recall during Foot and Mouth (or Mad Cow?) isolation time how 'ramblers' would be w@nking off about their 'rights' as farmers pleaded with them NOT to cross the boundaries.
If ever I'd supported Farmer Palmer and 'Get Orfff Moi Land!", this was the time.

During the foot and mouth ramblers did stop walking as requested. They were that compliant that B&Bs, country pubs, cafes, tea rooms complained to the government. They were asking to be given compensation, as the farmers had, due to the countryside being deserted. They never got a penny.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
I left the services last year and started recently as a consultant. The company has largely instructed everyone to work from home where possible. But the work will dry up and I am genuinely worried how long I will have a job for. The pension is good, but not enough to live on.
Our company here in Oz has been hit hard by the drought and things are pretty tight - current sales are enough to keep us going month by month but if we have to close the workshop down for two weeks then I, and 40 other people, won't have jobs to go back to. Will the bank stop expecting mortgage instalments and the utility companies stop expecting bill payments while I'm finding work? All very well and bloody good saying self isolate but the consequences are a little more far reaching than an enforced period of staying at home.

Again, not quite. My bold: I assume that's meant to mean 'Pacific Islands', though I can't see the logic in the exemption?

'Every person who enters New Zealand will now be required to enter self-isolation for 14 days, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced. “As of midnight Sunday, every person entering New Zealand, including returning New Zealand citizens and residents, will be required to enter self-isolation for 14 days. Everybody,” Ms Ardern said at a press conference on Saturday.

The Pacific are exempted from this measure. They are the only ones. Anyone from this country, though, will be required to automatically self-isolate should they exhibit any COVID-19 symptoms upon arrival in New Zealand. All of these restrictions will be reviewed in 16 days’ time.”

'She also said that all cruise ships, as of midnight Saturday, would not be allowed to come to New Zealand until at least June 30.'

During the foot and mouth ramblers did stop walking as requested. They were that compliant that B&Bs, country pubs, cafes, tea rooms complained to the government. They were asking to be given compensation, as the farmers had, due to the countryside being deserted. They never got a penny.
Hence my use of inverted commas for 'ramblers'.

Dumbas

Swinger
I live in NZ.

This is a dramatic move by the NZ government. NZ has had only 6 cases of Covid-19, all imported. To date, no transmission has occurred within NZ.

Tourism is NZ second biggest industry. The NZ tourism industry is now closed. NZ is at the "end of the train line". It is hard to see many airlines maintaining a service down to NZ, because empty aircraft burn cash. In the belly holds of those aircraft are NZ exported goods (seafood in particular) and inbound aircraft bring medicines. It seems all of this will stop tomorrow night.

This has the potential to be devasting in a smallish country so reliant on trade and tourism. NZ is presently relatively free from Covid-19, with no Covid-19 patients in hospital.

The government says this will be reviewed in 16 days. It's hard to see the circumstances that will give the NZ government confidence to remove these restrictions. That confidence will come from our trading partners no longer reportimg COVID-19 cases, and that isn't going to happen in the next 16 days, or indeed 60 days I would suggest.

The U.K. Is an island as well. Will Boris try something similar?

Again, not quite. My bold: I assume that's meant to mean 'Pacific Islands', though I can't see the logic in the exemption?

'Every person who enters New Zealand will now be required to enter self-isolation for 14 days, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced. “As of midnight Sunday, every person entering New Zealand, including returning New Zealand citizens and residents, will be required to enter self-isolation for 14 days. Everybody,” Ms Ardern said at a press conference on Saturday.

The Pacific are exempted from this measure. They are the only ones. Anyone from this country, though, will be required to automatically self-isolate should they exhibit any COVID-19 symptoms upon arrival in New Zealand. All of these restrictions will be reviewed in 16 days’ time.”

'She also said that all cruise ships, as of midnight Saturday, would not be allowed to come to New Zealand until at least June 30.'

There is a small number of Pacific Islands whose only link with the rest of the world is via New Zealand and none of these islands, such as the Cook Islands, have had any reported cases.

The U.K. Is an island as well. Will Boris try something similar?
NZ is high on my retirement bucket list. My son spent 4 weeks there a few years back. He's planning to emigrate preferably to South Island.
The UK? Completely different situation in my opinion. Boris will do, as is any PM's want, whatever he sees as a balance of good public optics that will raise his chances of remaining in No10 including a sudden release of funds from a Money Tree hitherto non existing...given he has a gun to his head with Cov-id19. No comparison to be had insofar the UK is a European annex in terms of finance, trade, and travel with only a few miles of water for separation...with a Tunnel and short flights, and quick ferries.
Not to mention grossly over-populated with choked road systems,stinking inner city crime ridden ghettos, 2 Trillions of National Debt (and counting), collapsed public service infrastructures, cyclical flood damages, constant state of terrorist alerts at one level or another, cheap junk on the streets, jails rammed full of scum, and a general public perception of beaten down hopelessness.
Apart from that, a lot in common.:rolleyes:.
But, it's a lovely day in Scotland, pensions all paid in, plenty food & arsewipes,, I woke up breathing with a pulse which is a good start so we are off to the Trossachs for lunch.
Enjoy beautiful NZ. It may get tough for a bit but believe me there's a few millions in the UK would exchange homes tomorrow.

Last edited:
we had booked a NT place on the Dorest coast, they shut the paths and padlocked all gates on NT land we had a private coast line for a week

Latest Threads