New Zealand awesomeness or shittiness

Last edited:

gafkiwi

War Hero
It doesn't give any context to what the previous stats were like, lots of people move for better jobs all the time.
A lot of it is just returning to norms. A lot of people came scrambling back when the first pandemic kicked off in 2020 and a lot also put migration plans on hold for the last couple of years. Now, less/unrestrictive international travel is opening up there is a big rush back to the norms so it looks like a big spike.
Good riddance to a large chunk of them as they tend to be the dream chasers that were self-entitled, unmotivated, and in shit/no jobs to begin with. They'll go to Aussy and possibly do similar shit jobs but on better pay but most likely be a burden on the Aussy system. Strangely enough a few will eventually be returned to NZ as 501 deportees.
The biggest loss to NZ will be the minority of actual skilled workers who quite rightly so, can't turn down the dollars that would get thrown at them over there. My sister and brother-in-law have just recently emigrated to Aussy. She's a chartered accountant and he's a qualified builder they have effectively doubled their income and housing there is better than what they could find here in Whangarei.

They took over the Armilla Patrol. From wiki:

During the Falklands war, the Royal New Zealand Navy dispatched frigates to carry out the Armilla patrol duties, freeing the British ships on station for service with the Royal Navy task force tasked with freeing the Falkland Islands from the Argentine invasion.

Armilla Patrol
From the HMNZS Canterbury F421 home page:

During the Armilla patrols in 1982–83, the RNZN ships were not able to fully support the RN frigates Arrow and Galatea they were patrolling with in the Indian Ocean, because Prime Minister Muldoon refused to allow them to enter the Persian Gulf due to sensitivities with relations with Bahrain, The Arrow and Galatea were partly equipped for the missile age with computer datalinks and anti-missile decoy systems which fitting to RNZN frigates was delayed. Nevertheless, Canterbury and Galatea were later jointly awarded the Wilkinson Sword of Peace for the tour.

Interesting interview on this theme, NZ increasingly in the China orbit?

The PM comes across as principled but also naïve about China. In spite of numerous W&I of China's intentions over the last three decades, NZ and Australia have become not much more than economic colonies of the Sinosphere; mercifully the pandemic has temporarily halted the Long March of Chinese domination of tertiary education and R&D in NZ.

There are major security concerns as well - one case a couple of years back saw a Chinese former 2PLA Military Intelligence officer becoming an MP and sitting on the Parliamentary Foreign Affairs Select Committee. Two years ago (IIRC) NZ refused to join FVEY condemnation of China. Fancy that!

The PM comes across as principled but also naïve about China. In spite of numerous W&I of China's intentions over the last three decades, NZ and Australia have become not much more than economic colonies of the Sinosphere; mercifully the pandemic has temporarily halted the Long March of Chinese domination of tertiary education and R&D in NZ.

There are major security concerns as well - one case a couple of years back saw a Chinese former 2PLA Military Intelligence officer becoming an MP and sitting on the Parliamentary Foreign Affairs Select Committee. Two years ago (IIRC) NZ refused to join FVEY condemnation of China. Fancy that!
I know a few Kiwis (and OzMates) that will overlook anything wayward re China, for a few dollars.
While 'normal' trading is expected, caution would probably be wise. I don't trust China.

Latest Threads