New Zealand awesomeness or shittiness

Having returned from there on Sunday after six weeks of glorious scenery, lovely food, friendly and helpful people, clean and plentiful public toilets, empty roads and all round loveliness I would agree.

Don't get me started on two hours of sweaty hell in Los Angeles whilst the US Border Agency harvests your fingerprints, photographs you more than once and supplies rude and shouty Hispanics to shout at you. While you are in Transit, FFS!!!!

I suspect the Kiwi Authorities have no intention of applying this rule to anyone but those suspected of naughtiness. The US treats everyone as convicts.
Completely the opposite experience of my offspring. Employer offered the job, organised his visa, contributed to migration cost, helped with first accommodation. Two promotions, numerous pay rises later he's happy. They also helped with his (successful) residency application.

We met workers from all over the world - former Yugoslavia to the USA. Not one had a bad employment story. All workplaces seemed to have staff from everywhere. What you describe sounds more like the UK in the 70s!
You have nailed it twice.

I wouldn't buy in Auckland in the first place, its like any other city with crazy housing market. Its also caused in part by foreign buyers driving up the market. This is the same with the likes of Queenstown. Other areas its just a case of limited supply with a high demand.
£400k would be around NZ $800k and that will get you a reasonable place most other places. In some of the smaller centers $800k will get you into a nice reasonably new 4 bedroom property. If you are moving from the UK to live in central city style living you are probably wasting your time.

Housing standards have only really been updated in the last few years, that being said being sub tropical we don't get UK style winter extremes for the most part. A new build will generally be fully insulated with double glazing as a minimum. That with an HRV style ventilation system would be more than enough. Things like European style central heating would only really be of use in some parts of the sth island.
A lot of UK ex pats seem to end up semi rural or near the smaller cities and getting life style blocks. Hawkes Bay and the B.O.P. (Bay Of Plenty) seem pretty popular with migrants being coastal with generally warm weather year round.
How's Welli? My ex was from there.

D

Deleted 60082

My son has recently returned from New Zealand after working as a tutor as a posh boarding school in Auckland. The job was set up on the basis of one late- night phone call and a follow-up email. Everything was very smooth and bank account, IRD numbers were all set up in a day.

He love the fact that Auckland was built on two oceans/seas but didn’t care for the city. Expensive, poor public transport and ‘very Asian’ (ie Chinese). He loved the rest of the country and travelled widely (and,later, through Australia). Much to my partner’s concern, he’s considering returning to NZ.
He couldn’t get over how friendly and chatty the Kiwis were but was shocked by the levels of violence within the Maori and Pasifika communities. To beat up/give a hiding to partner/children is still regarded as a cultural norm in the Maori community, in particular.

He absolutely loved Wellington as it had a real vibe about it, compared with Auckland. I suppose that makes up for the unbelievably crap weather there!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Auckland is to NZ what London and Birmingham are to the UK. Expensive, crowded, full of people importing their own culture to a host country. I liked it least of the places we visited.

The Maori/Pasifika issues are the elephant in the room. Like the Travellers here but with land and money. The Iwi in Christchurch seems most sensible and members who transgress Pakeha law have been expelled. I compare it to Moslem, Jewish and other non-indigenous communities here. (And I do know that it's not a brilliant comparison because the Maori invaders got there first.)

Edited to add
While we were there a big court case related to a person from the subcontinent scamming immigrants from his country by promising them decent work and a new life only to make them surrender passports and work for 9 dollars an hour on farms and factories. Immigration were all over it and it's acknowledged as a major problem.

Auckland is to NZ what London and Birmingham are to the UK. Expensive, crowded, full of people importing their own culture to a host country. I liked it least of the places we visited.

The Maori/Pasifika issues are the elephant in the room. Like the Travellers here but with land and money. The Iwi in Christchurch seems most sensible and members who transgress Pakeha law have been expelled. I compare it to Moslem, Jewish and other non-indigenous communities here. (And I do know that it's not a brilliant comparison because the Maori invaders got there first.)

Edited to add
While we were there a big court case related to a person from the subcontinent scamming immigrants from his country by promising them decent work and a new life only to make them surrender passports and work for 9 dollars an hour on farms and factories. Immigration were all over it and it's acknowledged as a major problem.
I have already commented on that problem in this very thread.
Also, there is a major problem with gratuitous violence amongst certain ethnic groups as alluded to in post #44.
It generally involves alcohol and or drugs.

gafkiwi

War Hero
I have already commented on that problem in this very thread.
Also, there is a major problem with gratuitous violence amongst certain ethnic groups as alluded to in post #44.
It generally involves alcohol and or drugs.
That's no different to the white Bogan/Westy trash you find in West Auckland. Its also no different to what you'd most likely find in any city internationally within immigrant or lower socioeconomic groupings and areas. The bigger the city, generally the bigger (and visible) the issue.

That's no different to the white Bogan/Westy trash you find in West Auckland. Its also no different to what you'd most likely find in any city internationally within immigrant or lower socioeconomic groupings and areas. The bigger the city, generally the bigger (and visible) the issue.
Speaking of West Auckland, you watched this TV series? I was introduced to it by my ex and I loved it! Watched it twice I think! My first Kiwi TV series I've ever saw.

Outrageous Fortune (TV series) - Wikipedia

D

Deleted 60082

I’m a JAFA (just a fücking Aucklander) and it wasn’t until I spent time in Christchurch during my Officer training and subsequent flying training that I realised Auckland had a lot of shortcomings. I loved Christchurch but was surprised by the lack of diversity compared with Auckland and some antediluvian attitudes amongst the locals.

I’ve been in the UK almost 30 years now and regard is as home. I love visiting New Zild but not sure I could retire there. Inter alia my cardiac condition is not treated in NZ (it’s genetic and my nephews cannot receive the level of care that I receive in the UK) but I love being back in the UK (standfast London and the tube strikes today grrrrrr!) and most of my friends and family are here. Our own home is a large mid-Victorian pile on the Lake District which would be an historic place in NZ; if I sold it we could buy a poorly insulated and rotting bungalow on the North Shore of Auckland. (Qv the leaking building syndrome).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only West Auckland I know is the one near Bishop Auckland. Not many Maoris but loads of bogans
The original West Auckland, and still the best (?)
And the one that gave its name to that city in New Zealand ( as it was named for the 1st Baron of West Auckland).

I lived there for 16 years, before escaping at the age of 19.

I've got a mate who's been living there for the last eight years. He still has a property in the UK though.

He met his wife who is a Kiwi while she was teaching in the UK. They married and had a daughter and decided to move to New Zealand for a number of reasons, not least I think they thought it would be a better life for the girl.

Sadly, they've split up and my mate now lives in what he describes as a converted garage. Although he's retired, he was a builder so he's done it up and says it's ok for someone mostly living on their own but there is also enough room for his daughter who spends a fair bit of time there with him.

He's happy enough there and he doesn't knock the place. He lives out in the sticks somewhere near the coast and not far from Christchurch. He says the scenery is great, the weather is nice and he's made some friends among the locals.

That said, he is considering moving back to the UK in the next year or two. He's in his seventies and thinking that getting much older in New Zealand may not be quite as much fun as it has been so far.

Last edited:
The Kiwi settlers definitely treat/ treated the indigenous pop better than the Aussies ever did.
Oh, I dunno; Australia has done pretty well giving a platform to the likes of Gurrumul, Christine Anu, Yothu Yindi and others, while I can't think of a single Maori band or singer that's made it big (I hate opera so don't count Kiri te Kanawa).

Oh, I dunno; Australia has done pretty well giving a platform to the likes of Gurrumul, Christine Anu, Yothu Yindi and others, while I can't think of a single Maori band or singer that's made it big (I hate opera so don't count Kiri te Kanawa).
You know what I meant....p-o-p-u-l-a-t-i-o-n.

A classic Kiwi movie about poverty/ Maoris/ alcoholism/ domestic violence. Worth a watch.

Once were warriors.

Yeah, a great movie very well acted, although the storyline was grimly true to life.

D

Deleted 60082

A classic Kiwi movie about poverty/ Maoris/ alcoholism/ domestic violence. Worth a watch.

Once were warriors.

It's hard to believe that it came out about 25 years ago (unpacking our stuff out of storage, I just found it on VHS tape. ) It is as powerful (and accurate, sadly) now as it was when it came out.

Clearly few if the posters have been in NZ over the last four decades. Great food, great outdoor, great sports people, excellent wines and beers...
We were there 4 years ago for my 60th birthday and absolutely loved the pace of life and the scenery - just stunning.
If we had made that journey 15 years ago, the likelihood is we would have seriously considered emigrating.

Yeah, a great movie very well acted, although the storyline was grimly true to life.
More true to life than you could possibly imagine.
It's hard to believe that it came out about 25 years ago (unpacking our stuff out of storage, I just found it on VHS tape. ) It is as powerful (and accurate, sadly) now as it was when it came out.
If you guys want to watch it for old times sake, I heard you can do it through this link. Allegedly.

Once Were Warriors

Latest Threads