New Zealand awesomeness or shittiness

I thought aussie tourists were fair game?
Well, at least the boiled Pom tourists lobster impressions aren't from sun exposure for a change.

'Two British women are among those injured by a deadly volcanic eruption in New Zealand and are in hospital, the UK high commissioner to the country, Laura Clarke, has said.

'Of the 47 people believed to have been on White Island at the time of the explosion, five people have died, 31 remain in hospital, and eight are still missing, according to police deputy commissioner John Tims. Three have been discharged from hospital. Police said that despite spotting "some people" on the island in daring aerial reconnaissance efforts since the blast, rescuers saw “no signs of life” at any point. “It is now clear there were two groups on the island,” prime minister Jacinda Ardern said at a Tuesday morning press conference. “Those who were able to be evacuated, and those who were close to the eruption.

“We can confirm that among those currently listed as missing or injured are New Zealanders who were part of the tour operation, and tourists from Australia, the United States, the UK, China and Malaysia. That is to the best of our knowledge.”

Last edited:

Seadog

ADC
What happened to common sense?
I should have added; ‘asking for a friend- goes by the name of Mogg, Jacob Rees Mogg’.

******* about with active volcanoes is like playing Russian Roulette but not as safe. Not even with assurances of a dormant day from the world’s premier volcanologists would I be tempted to stroll. A fiery death with added flying hot boulders is not on my bucket list. F that.

Last edited:
I should have added; ‘asking for a friend- goes by the name of Mogg, Jacob Rees Mogg’.
Recently renamed as Wally, as in 'Where's Wally'.

******* about with active volcanoes is like playing Russian Roulette but not as safe. Not even with assurances of a dormant day from the world’s premier volcanologists would I be tempted to stroll. A fiery death with added flying hot boulders is not on my bucket list. F that.
The only active volcano that I've visited is Mt Etna in Sicily. Riding in the cable car over the snow up to the 2500 metre level I found myself facing two Germans.

With the theme tune to "Where Eagles Dare" suddenly going through my head I felt an almost overwhelming urge to throw them out.

Am I a bad person?

Update, and an accurate bit of prophesy. I'm sure the lawyers are already sharpening their pencils.

'A total of 17 people are now believed to have died in Monday’s volcanic eruption on White Island/Whakaari in New Zealand. Police have recovered six bodies from the uninhabited island, leaving two still missing. Another 21 severely injured people remain in hospital, some of whom may be permanently disabled or disfigured. All have burns to at least 30 percent of their bodies, while some have burns covering more than 90 percent, as well as burnt lungs. Every hospital burns unit in New Zealand is full to capacity and some patients are being sent to Australia for treatment.

'Erik Klemetti, from Denison University in Ohio, wrote an article for Discover magazine in August 2012 entitled “How Dangerous is Visiting New Zealand’s White Island?” He had the opportunity to visit White Island in 2009 but decided against it because of the risk, despite being interested as a volcanologist. In a chilling passage, he warned: “For the White Island tours, people are given protective equipment like gas masks and helmets, but if even a small phreatic (steam-driven) explosion were to happen when a group was in the crater, the consequences could be catastrophic. Will it take a half dozen deaths at White Island to change the culture, or is that merely the cost of being adventurous? It is hard to say."

'GNS Science, a government agency, issues advice about risks at the island but has no ability to stop people visiting. That decision is left to tourism operators, which make millions of dollars from volcano tours. Reportedly, three helicopter companies that visit White Island are not registered for “adventure activities” with the government agency WorkSafe, in violation of regulations.'

I was wondering, from the description of the injuries the tourists received, if some sort of pyroclastic flow was responsible for the incident?

What happened to common sense?
Well, as I've learned, there's no litigation for personal injury in New Zealand - instead, there's a universal no-blame compensation scheme (it led to the ridiculous situation of criminals receiving compo for being injured during robberies). I do wonder if this leads to unnecessary risk-taking?

So the lawyers pencil sharpening will be in vain.

Last edited:
Kiwi attempt at the Guinness Book of Records for the world's largest seafood paella?

'Half a million mussels were effectively cooked in unusually warm waters on the New Zealand coast in a massive 'die-off' that marine experts have linked to climate change. The dead molluscs were found by Auckland man Brandon Ferguson earlier this month at Maunganui Bluff Beach, near the northern tip of the North Island. Footage posted to social media shows a stunned Ferguson wading through rock pools choked almost knee-deep with mussel shells. '

Is St.Jacinta losing her halo?

'To most people outside New Zealand, that is an utterly confounding prospect. Ms Ardern is widely admired overseas for her down-to-earth manner, progressive values, and the calm, decisive leadership she showed in the wake of two horrifying national disasters.

'After the Christchurch terror attack last March, for example, she impressed much of the world with her empathy for New Zealand’s Muslim community, and her swift move to overhaul New Zealand’s lax gun laws. It was no easy thing. Other prime ministers had tried and failed to implement gun reform in previous years. She got it done. Even before that, Ms Ardern stood out on the global stage as a young, compassionate, female leader – the polar opposite of figures like Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, or whichever other old, cranky, conservative man she happened to be juxtaposed with.

'She has graced the covers of magazines, including the issue of British Vogue guest edited by Meghan Markle; starred on late night TV in the United States; spoken forcefully at the United Nations; mounted a compelling case for more empathy from political leaders; and inspired parents by deftly juggling pregnancy and then a baby while in office.

'Forbes has ranked her as the 38th most powerful woman in the world, ahead of Queen Elizabeth, Ivanka Trump and a boatload of celebrities. And more than a few Australians have openly wished she could be our prime minister too. Not bad for the leader of a tiny country with so little global influence. In recent weeks though, even the most positive coverage of Ms Ardern has started to include a small asterisk. For example, Ms Ardern appeared on the cover of Time Magazine’s international edition this month. Inside was yet another glowing profile, which praised the “strength and sanity” of her leadership.

'Then, near the bottom, came this line. “It’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t admire her authenticity and compassion, but there’s a sense among her supporters that she may have bitten off more than she can chew, and among her opponents that her government has failed on most of its promises.” Back in New Zealand, Ms Ardern’s constituents are bitterly divided.'

Last edited:
Is St.Jacinta is losing her halo?

'To most people outside New Zealand, that is an utterly confounding prospect. Ms Ardern is widely admired overseas for her down-to-earth manner, progressive values, and the calm, decisive leadership she showed in the wake of two horrifying national disasters.

'After the Christchurch terror attack last March, for example, she impressed much of the world with her empathy for New Zealand’s Muslim community, and her swift move to overhaul New Zealand’s lax gun laws. It was no easy thing. Other prime ministers had tried and failed to implement gun reform in previous years. She got it done. Even before that, Ms Ardern stood out on the global stage as a young, compassionate, female leader – the polar opposite of figures like Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, or whichever other old, cranky, conservative man she happened to be juxtaposed with.

'She has graced the covers of magazines, including the issue of British Vogue guest edited by Meghan Markle; starred on late night TV in the United States; spoken forcefully at the United Nations; mounted a compelling case for more empathy from political leaders; and inspired parents by deftly juggling pregnancy and then a baby while in office.

'Forbes has ranked her as the 38th most powerful woman in the world, ahead of Queen Elizabeth, Ivanka Trump and a boatload of celebrities. And more than a few Australians have openly wished she could be our prime minister too. Not bad for the leader of a tiny country with so little global influence. In recent weeks though, even the most positive coverage of Ms Ardern has started to include a small asterisk. For example, Ms Ardern appeared on the cover of Time Magazine’s international edition this month. Inside was yet another glowing profile, which praised the “strength and sanity” of her leadership.

'Then, near the bottom, came this line. “It’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t admire her authenticity and compassion, but there’s a sense among her supporters that she may have bitten off more than she can chew, and among her opponents that her government has failed on most of its promises.” Back in New Zealand, Ms Ardern’s constituents are bitterly divided.'

I just find her an annoying grief whore. I much prefer Don and Vlad, they wind up the woke SJW lefties which makes life much more fun.

gafkiwi

War Hero
She's the perfect example of people mistaking empathy for ability. Her and her party pretty much sold their souls to the Drunk Uncle and NZ First and have achieved nothing and they brought the red headed step child (green party) along for the ride.

Latest Threads