New Zealand awesomeness or shittiness

Care to expand on that comment.
If you do I will explain what is happening.
Anecdotal evidence of foreign workers being strung along with short term contracts, promised jobs which never come through, recruitment agencies taking fees but not finding anything, foreign workers being ostracised and bullied in the workplace etc etc.

The reality may well be different but as a prospective immigrant it does make you question things.

Blogg

LE
Mrs B's take on arriving home following 3 weeks there:

1. It's a bloody long way there

2. Some very attractive/scenic bits

3. Rather dull otherwise.

4. Bloody long way back.

5. Best bit? Oh I upgraded to Business Class on the return flight.

Having been out there three times, I can say that one thing sticking in my mind is the state of some of the driving.

Picture the scene - driving at the 60mph limit, a long straight road in the country and no traffic. In your mirror you see a car in the far distance, slowly getting bigger. Some time later, you're thinking "This chap's doing some speed" and the car approaches at well over the speed limit.

The road is still clear and very straight. The speeding car brakes hard when he's very close to your car and sits around ten feet behind you - forever. It's like no-one has told them they can overtake another vehicle and they've run out of mental options as to how to deal with the situation.

I'd love to bring some of their boy racers over to the UK and see the look on their faces trying to cope with our traffic.

Anecdotal evidence of foreign workers being strung along with short term contracts, promised jobs which never come through, recruitment agencies taking fees but not finding anything, foreign workers being ostracised and bullied in the workplace etc etc.

The reality may well be different but as a prospective immigrant it does make you question things.
OK.
Here is the main thing that is happening.
In the last twenty years or so immigration was opened up to mainly Asians. Indians and Chinese predominately.
There was a rush to get here, and the early ones are now well established.
Like it or not, there are always predators who can see some way of making a coin.
The system allows any number of them to come in, for whatever spurious reason.
Here are people arriving with at the very best a rudimentary grasp of English and absolutely no idea of the local laws, particularly employment laws.
They arrive at the airport with very little idea of what to do and with a contact name that they have been given.
They are then herded away and put to work in the local sweatshop and paid very little if any remuneration, (insert Indian/Chinese)
of your choice.
Also, they are packed sardine-like into some quite dodgy accommodation.
Not knowing the local laws and highly likely to have arrived in the country using an absolute dodgy excuse for whatever visa was issued, and not knowing or wishing to complain, in case they are deported.
To be blunt, the employment laws in NZ are very robust and generally lean towards the employee, if a complaint is made.
Furthermore, it is recently established immigrants who have learned to game the system who are preying on their own race who have more recently arrived, and know no better.
I would guarantee that the same thing is happening in the UK.

The link I have attached is just one recent example.
There are a lot more of these things that are happening and some a hell of a lot worse.

Immigration scam NZ

South Island is way nicer than North Island (or West Island).

ugly

LE
The US has been doing that for a while now, not so much a fine, but they refuse entry or ban you outright if you decline to comply with their wishes. So far I have yet to be asked, but I leave my iPad at home just in case....
Must have been the late 90's and Orlando airport security refused to believe that I didn't have a lap top and was on holiday. I was with the wife and both kids who were nippers. We were dressed smartly not in shorts and wifebeater I expect thats what did it. They only relented when we showed them our Disney tickets and house booking!
Strange folk who have morphed into the TSA

OK.
In the last twenty years or so immigration was opened up to mainly Asians. Indians and Chinese predominately.
Like it or not, there are always predators who can see some way of making a coin.
Here are people arriving with at the very best a rudimentary grasp of English and absolutely no idea of the local laws, particularly employment laws.
They arrive at the airport with very little idea of what to do and with a contact name that they have been given.
They are then herded away and put to work in the local sweatshop and paid very little if any remuneration, (insert Indian/Chinese)
of your choice.
Not knowing the local laws and highly likely to have arrived in the country using an absolute dodgy excuse for whatever visa was issued, and not knowing or wishing to complain, in case they are deported.
To be blunt, the employment laws in NZ are very robust and generally lean towards the employee, if a complaint is made.
Furthermore, it is recently established immigrants who have learned to game the system who are preying on their own race who have more recently arrived, and know no better.

There are a lot more of these things that are happening and some a hell of a lot worse.

Immigration scam NZ

I've seen a few progs about the immigration people busting the "farms" where lots of the illegals are working.
Quite a few Vietnamese as well which surprised me.

OK.
of your choice.

Immigration scam NZ
Most of that could describe exactly what started when the EU opened up to the Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Poland, and others in 2004

OK.
of your choice.

Immigration scam NZ
Sorry, my statement wasn't in reference to the immigration scams targeting people from Asia but more in relation to immigrants from the Western world. Granted there are some success stories but often a lot of people seem to get turned away from jobs on the basis that they have no "kiwi experience" or a feeling that most jobs are awarded on a who you know basis.

Is it because the Maoris have a proven record of being able to fight and seem to like a good scrap?

Where as the aboriginal folk of Oz seem to spend their lives sitting on the ground drunk and then producing even uglier kids?
I,m afraid in most towns with aboriginal populations, any aboriginal bloke giving it large, tend to disappear from the neighbourhood,so they stay pissed, its a pity we are not allowed to treat some of the gobby, drunk driving queenslanders the same way!!!!

All the Kiwis I know of here in the UK agree about the house standards bit.
It's a proper shocker, basically wooden sheds with no central heating, double glazing or anything you would consider as normal for a modern build house. And what they're asking for is a total joke, jump on one of the property websites and see what £400,000 gets you in the Auckland area.

gafkiwi

War Hero
I wouldn't buy in Auckland in the first place, its like any other city with crazy housing market. Its also caused in part by foreign buyers driving up the market. This is the same with the likes of Queenstown. Other areas its just a case of limited supply with a high demand.
£400k would be around NZ $800k and that will get you a reasonable place most other places. In some of the smaller centers $800k will get you into a nice reasonably new 4 bedroom property. If you are moving from the UK to live in central city style living you are probably wasting your time.

Housing standards have only really been updated in the last few years, that being said being sub tropical we don't get UK style winter extremes for the most part. A new build will generally be fully insulated with double glazing as a minimum. That with an HRV style ventilation system would be more than enough. Things like European style central heating would only really be of use in some parts of the sth island.
A lot of UK ex pats seem to end up semi rural or near the smaller cities and getting life style blocks. Hawkes Bay and the B.O.P. (Bay Of Plenty) seem pretty popular with migrants being coastal with generally warm weather year round.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Sorry, my statement wasn't in reference to the immigration scams targeting people from Asia but more in relation to immigrants from the Western world. Granted there are some success stories but often a lot of people seem to get turned away from jobs on the basis that they have no "kiwi experience" or a feeling that most jobs are awarded on a who you know basis.
You'd think its commonsense that you line up your quals before coming over and line up a job but there seems to be an expectation of "I am XYZ in the UK so I should be able to stroll into a job" only to find the opposite.
There were a lot of Uk Cops direct recruited for NZ Police and most Army Units have a Brit lateral in them. In recent years a number of the lateral transfers in the NZDF have been found out. Some for the occasional BS and others to the point of Walting. They forget with laterals going the other way and the links between some UK and Kiwi units are pretty strong, there is about 3 degrees of separation, stories are pretty easy to check.

I wouldn't buy in Auckland in the first place, its like any other city with crazy housing market. Its also caused in part by foreign buyers driving up the market. This is the same with the likes of Queenstown. Other areas its just a case of limited supply with a high demand.
£400k would be around NZ $800k and that will get you a reasonable place most other places. In some of the smaller centers $800k will get you into a nice reasonably new 4 bedroom property. If you are moving from the UK to live in central city style living you are probably wasting your time.

Housing standards have only really been updated in the last few years, that being said being sub tropical we don't get UK style winter extremes for the most part. A new build will generally be fully insulated with double glazing as a minimum. That with an HRV style ventilation system would be more than enough. Things like European style central heating would only really be of use in some parts of the sth island.
A lot of UK ex pats seem to end up semi rural or near the smaller cities and getting life style blocks. Hawkes Bay and the B.O.P. (Bay Of Plenty) seem pretty popular with migrants being coastal with generally warm weather year round.
I agree 100% with you, although I must say that the building codes have been tightened up in the last few years and insulation throughout is now required.

gafkiwi

War Hero
I agree 100% with you, although I must say that the building codes have been tightened up in the last few years and insulation throughout is now required.
Yup, I think part of the issue is the reputation of the housing standard is from the older Housing corp housing and crappy rentals. A lot of the Kiwi's doing their OE in the UK only know crappy accom like student flats. The new rental laws now require insulation and a method of heating.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Clearly few if the posters have been in NZ over the last four decades. Great food, great outdoor, great sports people, excellent wines and beers...
Having returned from there on Sunday after six weeks of glorious scenery, lovely food, friendly and helpful people, clean and plentiful public toilets, empty roads and all round loveliness I would agree.

Don't get me started on two hours of sweaty hell in Los Angeles whilst the US Border Agency harvests your fingerprints, photographs you more than once and supplies rude and shouty Hispanics to shout at you. While you are in Transit, FFS!!!!

I suspect the Kiwi Authorities have no intention of applying this rule to anyone but those suspected of naughtiness. The US treats everyone as convicts.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Completely the opposite experience of my offspring. Employer offered the job, organised his visa, contributed to migration cost, helped with first accommodation. Two promotions, numerous pay rises later he's happy. They also helped with his (successful) residency application.

We met workers from all over the world - former Yugoslavia to the USA. Not one had a bad employment story. All workplaces seemed to have staff from everywhere. What you describe sounds more like the UK in the 70s!

Must have been the late 90's and Orlando airport security refused to believe that I didn't have a lap top and was on holiday. I was with the wife and both kids who were nippers. We were dressed smartly not in shorts and wifebeater I expect thats what did it. They only relented when we showed them our Disney tickets and house booking!
Strange folk who have morphed into the TSA
@ugly for every FL story, I only have one response: It's ******* Florida!

Latest Threads