New Zealand awesomeness or shittiness

All I can say is it's Napier... they're a special bunch over there.
I'm assuming you mean that in the same sense as Newfies and Taswegians (pointy heads, six fingers, all have a 'favourite' sister)?

I'm assuming you mean that in the same sense as Newfies and Taswegians (pointy heads, six fingers, all have a 'favourite' sister)?
Nah that's more the deep Sth island as well as parts of the west coast of both islands. Napier/Hawkes Bay population is more like an eclectic mix of the extremes you find elsewhere. Nice place to visit but once you bore of the beach, vineyards and art deco buildings its just hot. I wouldn't want to stay any amount of time.

Nah that's more the deep Sth island as well as parts of the west coast of both islands. Napier/Hawkes Bay population is more like an eclectic mix of the extremes you find elsewhere. Nice place to visit but once you bore of the beach, vineyards and art deco buildings its just hot. I wouldn't want to stay any amount of time.
We had a Bach (holiday home) in Rainbow Point, Taupo, and always used to go to Napier for a day or two in summer. My abiding memories are of shimmering heat, melting asphalt, ice creams melting quicker than we could eat them and lunch in the Art Deco Masonic Hotel. We’d always visit the museum and pay reverence to the section on the February 1931 earthquake that killed 256 people; especially the account of the Dr from HMS Veronica having to euthanise injured people who were trapped and were about to be consumed by the ensuring fire. Cheery holidays we went on.

Oh, I dunno; Australia has done pretty well giving a platform to the likes of Gurrumul, Christine Anu, Yothu Yindi and others, while I can't think of a single Maori band or singer that's made it big (I hate opera so don't count Kiri te Kanawa).
Opera. Shrieking in foreign, whilst expecting you to 'dress up posh' and pay through the nose for the misery.

I prefer ballet.

We had a Bach (holiday home) in Rainbow Point, Taupo, and always used to go to Napier for a day or two in summer. My abiding memories are of shimmering heat, melting asphalt, ice creams melting quicker than we could eat them and lunch in the Art Deco Masonic Hotel. We’d always visit the museum and pay reverence to the section on the February 1931 earthquake that killed 256 people; especially the account of the Dr from HMS Veronica having to euthanise injured people who were trapped and were about to be consumed by the ensuring fire. Cheery holidays we went on.
Yup, the locals tend to hang their hats on "Nice weather and Art Deco Architecture". They tend to forget to remind people of the storms, flooding, fires and occasional bouts of e coli the town water that break up the "nice" weather. I think Napier/Hawkes Bay also have a chip on their shoulder trying to compete with Tauranga/Bay of Plenty as the true "Bay"

Yup, the locals tend to hang their hats on "Nice weather and Art Deco Architecture". They tend to forget to remind people of the storms, flooding, fires and occasional bouts of e coli the town water that break up the "nice" weather. I think Napier/Hawkes Bay also have a chip on their shoulder trying to compete with Tauranga/Bay of Plenty as the true "Bay"
Actually that could apply to most of New Zealand. The nicest place I lived was in Marlborough. Can’t stand Auckland these days but the Hauraki Gulf is awesome.

I bet you do. Those rippling muscles, those ‘figure hugging’ tights...
Slender, petite, young ladies, with poise, grace and a gentle flow of movement. Yet possessing the strength and flexibility to kick your face through the back of your head if you piss them off. What's not to like?

Do not **** with a ballet dancer!

Actually that could apply to most of New Zealand. The nicest place I lived was in Marlborough. Can’t stand Auckland these days but the Hauraki Gulf is awesome.
That would insinuate most of New Zealand had continuous good weather....
I see the Hawkes Bay much the same as the Bay of Plenty, Once were nice beach towns that have been over populated and now have all the same problems as main centers like crime and shite roading/infrastructure.
Yup don't mind Marlborough and smaller centers. I shudder to say it, I don't mind living in Palmerston North.

That would insinuate most of New Zealand had continuous good weather....
I see the Hawkes Bay much the same as the Bay of Plenty, Once were nice beach towns that have been over populated and now have all the same problems as main centers like crime and shite roading/infrastructure.
Yup don't mind Marlborough and smaller centers. I shudder to say it, I don't mind living in Palmerston North.
I have to agree with every point you have made.
Live at the Mount and it was excellent here, until the population started to explode in the 90s.

In 2004 I had a 5 year plan that ended in Nelson, renting until we found where we wanted to settle on South Island.