New York

Time for the ARRSE massive to share their knowledge. I am travelling to the big Apple in the summer and would like to know if there are any must see places to visit. I will be accompanied by Mrs Slaw and 2 kids 11 and 9.

Time for the ARRSE massive to share their knowledge. I am travelling to the big Apple in the summer and would like to know if there are any must see places to visit. I will be accompanied by Mrs Slaw and 2 kids 11 and 9.
USA Intrepid s back open and take your MOD 90 along for free entry for a lot of tourist attractions.

I found the statue of libert underwhelming but recommend Ellis Island.

Stand by for stifling humidity, permanent feel of grime and some of the rudest people you’ll meet.

Also it’s a good laugh to the the potato famine monument a stones throw from ground zero.

If you’re trying to trap off with a Jewish princess, hit the hotel bars and not the pubs.

Last edited:
Circle line cruise - goes round Manhattan. Docks right next to the Intrepid. That's 1 day sorted.

Central Park is probably another day.

Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Tower) for high view over NYC.

9/11 museum and WTC memorial is a must.

Scenic helicopter flights around Manhattan are pretty cheap (using one of the afore-mentioned voucher books).
Also helping to get your bearings, a boat cruise right around the island. Williamsburg (Brooklyn) is pretty cool, with the obligatory walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Just wandering around Bleeker St, St Mark's Place (includes the house that was depicted on the cover of Physical Graffiti). The people are pretty friendly, but don't forget to tip.

Here is what I wrote afterna great time in NY in August 2017.

Just got back from New York with my 11 year old daughter. Here are a few tips.

Do not bother with the New York Pass. It is a rip off and you won't get near to breaking even unless you also do a lot of the z-list trips.

Get a 7 day subway pass, it is good value and the subway isn't all that bad, not as good as the London Underground as it can be hard to work out where you are going and the train could be an express train and take you further than you want to go.

NYC River taxis are a great way to get around and give you a lot of interesting views.

Top of the rock is way better than the Empire state building, a lot less queuing and less overcrowded. Also you get to see the Empire State from Top of the Rock which is pretty important.

Central Park cycle ride is brilliant and well worth the hire money.

If somebody hands you something in the street, do not take it. It's a scam and they will try to get you to pay $20 for a hip-hop cd or lucky monk beads.

Go to East village, lots of good food and bars there the 7B is my favourite bar in the world.

For the Statue of Liberty, use the Staten Island Ferry, it's free.

Brooklyn pizza is not all it's cracked up to be, but the walk back across the bridge was excellent.

NY in summer is hot, damned hot.......too bloody hot. Best time to visit is late autumn / winter IMO.

Take some very comfortable walking shoes or trainers, you will be knackered after 2-3 days, even with good footwear.

New Yorkers seem to be very nice people on the whole, but there are some scammers and total whack jobs in the mix so be on your guard.

I'm now off to listen to my shitty hip-hop cd and play with my lucky monk beads. :)

Here is what I wrote afterna great time in NY in August 2017.

Just got back from New York with my 11 year old daughter. Here are a few tips.

Do not bother with the New York Pass. It is a rip off and you won't get near to breaking even unless you also do a lot of the z-list trips.

Get a 7 day subway pass, it is good value and the subway isn't all that bad, not as good as the London Underground as it can be hard to work out where you are going and the train could be an express train and take you further than you want to go.

NYC River taxis are a great way to get around and give you a lot of interesting views.

Top of the rock is way better than the Empire state building, a lot less queuing and less overcrowded. Also you get to see the Empire State from Top of the Rock which is pretty important.

Central Park cycle ride is brilliant and well worth the hire money.

If somebody hands you something in the street, do not take it. It's a scam and they will try to get you to pay $20 for a hip-hop cd or lucky monk beads.

Go to East village, lots of good food and bars there the 7B is my favourite bar in the world.

For the Statue of Liberty, use the Staten Island Ferry, it's free.

Brooklyn pizza is not all it's cracked up to be, but the walk back across the bridge was excellent.

NY in summer is hot, damned hot.......too bloody hot. Best time to visit is late autumn / winter IMO.

Take some very comfortable walking shoes or trainers, you will be knackered after 2-3 days, even with good footwear.

New Yorkers seem to be very nice people on the whole, but there are some scammers and total whack jobs in the mix so be on your guard.

I'm now off to listen to my shitty hip-hop cd and play with my lucky monk beads. :)

I agree with all of what you have written (especially about the CD's - got caught out on my first day in Times Square), but not about the City Pass. We totted up how much all the trips would have cost us and we were definitely up on the deal - we did, however, cram a hell of a lot into our week there.

Agree with Skunkmiester's comment about the heat in NY in summer - a great way to catch a cold with icily air-conditioned buildings and tropical streets.

Staten Island ferry for a good view of the Statue of Liberty (it's free)

Loeb's Boathouse in Central Park a pancake breakfast

The massive Metropolitan Museum of Art - an all-dayer at least

Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge - iconic structure, and views of Manhattan

Battery Park - good early history of New York

Fulton St/South Street Seaport Museum area - decent markets and eateries, and a bunch of old ships tied up on the East River

Last edited:
Take your MOD90 with you - plenty of places (food, shopping, hotels etc.) which offer discounts for service personnel (current or ex), and which recognize the UK id too.

Empire State building: No. It's a dismal shithole.

Metropolitan Museum: a big yes. Whole day job.

Suss out subway. It works on a strange logic

I agree with all of what you have written (especially about the CD's - got caught out on my first day in Times Square), but not about the City Pass. We totted up how much all the trips would have cost us and we were definitely up on the deal - we did, however, cram a hell of a lot into our week there.
Guy tried the CD thing on me in Times Square.
I was stood (arms folded) watching Major Sunray take advantage of the fact the Superhero costume types cant wander out of their zones to blag a free pic with my daughter - I had all the cash.

Black guy wanders over and drops a CD into my folded arms with a 'That's free. Its for you'.
I handed it straight back 'Don't want it mate'.
'Its free music sample man'.
'Don't want it mate!'
'Whats up don't you like black people?'
'Bit random mate and who the hell uses CDs these days?'

And off he toddled, tbh I was a bit offended that he saw me as an easy mark.

Tipwise.
Airtrain is the cheapest and quickest way to get to Manhattan from JFK and will break you in early to the NY Subway.
Staten Island Ferry will give the best views of Liberty and is free.
The grid system means you cant get lost though deciding to walk 10 blocks on a hot July afternoon with a toddler (as 10 blocks cant be that far) is a bad idea.
Grand Central Station is worth the visit.
Also if you time it right the Gay Pride Parade is bloody fantastic, the sight of a black 6'7" brick shite house guy in pink fishnets and heels is something to behold.

Totally agree about the “10 blocks isn’t far” routine. It is and you will be shocked at how far you walk. My first visit was 2016 in the epic blizzard Jan 23rd. I walked everywhere for 3 days and clocked up just over 24km. I enjoyed it as I saw a lot of the city but it would be shit with kids.

Also there is a Lindt chocolate shop near central park near Tiffany’s. Both are well worth a visit but beware of Tiffany’s. Big and little girls love their wares and it’s bloody expensive.

All good stuff so far *especially the CD scam), thanks.
I think we are planning a boat trip around Ellis Island, which includes dinner and a view of the city skyline.

Latest Threads