New York Manhattan, Anyone been?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by franklin, Dec 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Looking to taking the mrs to Manhattan for a few days. Now we all know the Yanks are massive on their troops, and they receive big big discounts. Has anyone been recently and saved much by being a member of her majestys finest? Im asking, not because im a pikey, but I have heard Virgin Atlantic offer good deals along with military discounts for hotels etc.

Ok I am a pikey. Cheers!
  2. Try to fly to Newark and not Newyork it's a hell of a lot closer to Manhatten , not such a good time now as the pound is low against the dollar, But Ny is some cracking town, the people are great and theres a lot to see if you do the tourist thing. Im lucky i have friends there so I can't help on hotels
  3. On the really basic end of the spectrum you could try the Soldiers', Sailors', Marines' and Airmen's Club on Lexington Avenue:

It is hostel standard with shared bathrooms, but is cheap and in a very central location. I stayed there with the missus a couple of years and our 2 person room came with steel framed military type single beds. Bit like staying in the block at the weekend.
  4. i managed to get myself there for £662 for 5 nights 6 days in a 4* on w34 street, next to the empire state building, flying into newark, that was without any discount and when the dollar wasn't as weak