NEW YORK HOLIDAY

MARTOK

War Hero
I’m looking at taking my wife to New York, she’s always wanted to go and during lockdown we had a 40th wedding anniversary and she had her 60th birthday, both of which we couldn’t really celebrate.

We want to stay in or as close to Times Square as possible, I want to go for seven days she wants to go for ten at the end of June. Is there enough to see to stay for ten days?

My wife has slight mobility issues – artificial hip and knee – maximum walking distance for her would be a mile so it probably wouldn’t be practical to sightsee more than one attraction per day.

I don’t really want to go over £1500 per person flights and hotel although looking at some of the cheaper options I could get it for around £1500 for both of us, but you do get what you pay for.

Some of you will have been there so any thoughts / recommendations.

The_Duke

LE
What are you interested in? Whether there is 7 or 10 days worth of stuff to enjoy is really dependent on that!

Last edited:

Blogg

LE
Ten days in NYC?

Fcuk no. Four maybe five days max. given mobility constraints

Usual tourist stuff, Metropolitan Museum and Intrepid. Then move on or be bored shitless.

Boston maybe?

Augustus

War Hero
You don’t need more than 5 days in the Big Apple.

If trying to keep the cost of flights down, I would recommend going non-direct with Icelandair. You could break the trip with a layover for a couple of nights in Reykjavik too…..

I’m looking at taking my wife to New York, she’s always wanted to go and during lockdown we had a 40th wedding anniversary and she had her 60th birthday, both of which we couldn’t really celebrate.

We want to stay in or as close to Times Square as possible, I want to go for seven days she wants to go for ten at the end of June. Is there enough to see to stay for ten days?

My wife has slight mobility issues – artificial hip and knee – maximum walking distance for her would be a mile so it probably wouldn’t be practical to sightsee more than one attraction per day.

I don’t really want to go over £1500 per person flights and hotel although looking at some of the cheaper options I could get it for around £1500 for both of us, but you do get what you pay for.

Some of you will have been there so any thoughts / recommendations.
Currently mask restrictions are lifted by the NY Governor and NYC Mayor for those vaccinated, but business have the option to require to still wear masks. Damn near every block has mobile Covid test setups for travelers free of charge.

You may want to notify your bank you will be in the USA so you ATM cards work, same for mobile phones

DO NOT travel the Subways after midnight- crime in our city has spiked during the pandemic

NYC Subway map-
NYC Subways-
Fares are US $2.75 per person per ride

Brooklyn Bridge- for an unfathomable reason some like to walk across the bridge from Brooklyn into Manhattan ride the A&C subway to High street station and walk back across. Make sure you have a jacket as its windy up that high

USS Intrepid WW2 Essex class Aircraft carrier and museum ship 48th street and Hudson river

Statue of liberty, Ellis island
red subway downtown to South Ferry (Last stop) ferries to Staten Island, Governors island, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty

World trade center
Blue "E"
train downtown to World Trade center(Last stop)

South Street seaport and fulton street (fishmarket)

Rockefeller center
47-50th streets (NBC Studios, Channel gardens and across 5th you have St Patricks cathedral and Saks 5th ave

NY Public Library
42nd St and 5th ave and Bryant park (Original Ghostbusters filmed there)

Hotel New Yorker
34th street & 8th avenue- last home of Nicola Tesla (Rms 3326-27) scenes from the Deniro movie the irishman filmed in basement "Butcher and banker" steakhouse (its a former bank vault) art deco lobby

Central Park
Museum Mile on 5th avenue along east side Central park
Natural History museum, Metropolitan museum of art, etc. https://www.nyc-arts.org/collections/32777/museum-mile-2

Museums ( I once worked at MoMA PS1)

McSorley's ale house

You used to be able to hire a local guide fairly cheap and a red bus tour like the open top ones in London (& everywhere!)
My favourite thing was to visit places in a book, like Kinky Friedman's detective books, Bernard Levin's 'A Walk Down 5th, Avenue', army surplus store that gave out wooden nickels, NYPD Museum...
Caution: I ended up quite a way into Harlem following 5th Ave. I'm not saying Die Hard was based on it, but. ;). The luck of fools maybe....same as wandering about at 2am looking for somewhere 'interesting' to eat.
And I'm 15 years out of date (!!). I heartily respect Mr Goldbrickers input!

Really must go back & sneak about Brooklyn, Staten Island, the ordinary places. Would probably use Antony Bourdin's 'Kitchen Confidential' as a start. Gives you something to aim at, if you're not bothered by the 'must sees'.
I really liked the Staten Island Ferry (still free?). and odd bookshops, deli's, junk shops.
If mobility is a consideration, are there reciprocal associations that can help?

You used to be able to hire a local guide fairly cheap and a red bus tour like the open top ones in London (& everywhere!)
My favourite thing was to visit places in a book, like Kinky Friedman's detective books, Bernard Levin's 'A Walk Down 5th, Avenue', army surplus store that gave out wooden nickels, NYPD Museum...
Caution: I ended up quite a way into Harlem following 5th Ave. I'm not saying Die Hard was based on it, but. ;). The luck of fools maybe....same as wandering about at 2am looking for somewhere 'interesting' to eat.
And I'm 15 years out of date (!!). I heartily respect Mr Goldbrickers input!

Really must go back & sneak about Brooklyn, Staten Island, the ordinary places. Would probably use Antony Bourdin's 'Kitchen Confidential' as a start. Gives you something to aim at, if you're not bothered by the 'must sees'.
I really liked the Staten Island Ferry (still free?). and odd bookshops, deli's, junk shops.
If mobility is a consideration, are there reciprocal associations that can help?
Last mayor closed the NYPD museum don't know why but he was "Woke" I've heard it might be moved to Governors island soon.

Governors island is a gem , an old US Army base closed in the 60's was home of the first army pre ww2, Enormous stone buildings and wide streets lined with oak trees. I was temporarily stationed there after the 9-11 attacks.

It's now a NYC park and has a wonderful view of the Harbor towards lower Manhattan and the Statue of liberty. I know of 2 movies partially filmed there "Across the Pacific" with Humphrey Bogart and "Time Limit" with Richard Widmark.

You also have the "Hop on, Hop Off" red double decker tour buses, The "Circle Line" boat tours (took one aged 9 and told my dad a man was swimming, turned out I spotted a floater).

Did 4 days in New York before pre-covid and it happened to hit Labour Day so getting around was hell on toast.
Very busy and reduced subway services.

Whatever you visit it's a lot of time on your feet and after 4 days I was glad to get home. We binned off going out on our last night and stayed in with Room service and drinks at the bar.
Totally knackered.

To be fair it was late August early September and the humidity was a killer.

As for hotels, you can get some real hovels, even in big, well known places.

Sad to hear the crime rate has risen in recent years as in my visits 2007 and 2017 I always felt safe in Manhattan. Safer than in some UK cities to be honest.
We did stumble into a street party in Brooklyn by getting off at the wrong station. If I'd been dressed as a grand wizard of the KKK we'd have been less conspicuous. It was a black neighbourhood that looked exactly like the ones I'd seen in films and there was us, a couple of obviously lost tourists.
It was everything you've seen in a film, unbelievably attired women with the hair and nails, the clothes shop that no white man in history could wear but the guy that could was sat on the hood of his car, one foot up on the bumper smoking a pack of Newports eyeballing me. In the film of my life he would be played by Sam L Jackson.
We got out of there pronto.
The news the next day reported someone in that very area was shot in the face.

Incidentally, I found New Yorkers to be polite, and helpful to tourists (in contrast to reputation).

But then I've also been to Paris ;-)
Totally agree there, not only the hotel service but everywhere you go the people were friendly and happy to help.

Truth be told I've very seldom met a yank who is anything but polite and respectful.

Certainly more than I see it in the UK.

colinmc400

War Hero
We went 3 or 4 years back, for 5 nights and it was also our first time. Here are a few of my observations.

1. Be careful on the flights, where you may fly into one airport and out of another. We went into JFK and out of Newark.
2. These were my last flights with BA and i hope i never have to again. Old tired planes and the worst customer service. Giving our prebooked seats to a BA crew member is one example.
3. Neither airport is exactly on Manhattan's doorstep and can be a minefield for being ripped off for transfers. I did my research and prebooked private cars both ways.
4. We used the subway extensively and managed to not make one mistake. Get a good map and figure out the terminology asap and you have a good chance of not going wrong. You will see some "sights" on the subway, just look the other way.
5. There is a lot to do, if you just wrote down all the "tourist traps"alone. Likely you cannot do them all, so narrow it down and if mobility is an issue, pay the extra cash for priority access(saved us queuing for 1/2 hr at the Empire State for example). We went on the Statue of Liberty boat and the ques were horrendous. When we got to the island and could see the size of the que to get back on the ferry, we just stayed on and treated it as an expensive ferry ride.
6. Most of the places you can name will be cheesy tourist traps and there will be peeps trying to fleece you, or get you to buy cheap tat. Just ignore it and walk on by. Central Park horse cart rides, OMGA!!
7. There are so many hotels and places to eat its not funny. Do your research from Trip Advisor and the like, then pay your money and take your choice. I have found the Shermans generally like to moan about Customer service, more than British people do, so somewhere getting bad reviews, cause they didn't like the Bellboys attitude, is way different to me BEING concerned about it being dirty, noisy and a blatant rip off.
8. I love going off the beaten track and while there was time for the Empire State and the Statue of Liberty, i equally enjoyed going up into Harlem to a soul food restaurant and sitting in a Bar in Brooklyn backstreet one afternoon, getting pickled.
9. Do not try and do too much.
10. Do not try and do too much.

Do 3 days in NY. Once you have seen the statute of liberty and had a pastrami sandwich you've seen everything anyway.

Rent a car and drive down to Virginia. See the civil war battlefields, visit some wineries. Stop in at Virginia Beach to gawp and thank God that you didn't go to Florida, because that is even worse.

Drive back up to DC, try not to get shot, visit the FBI museum and fly home from there.

Find the time during the holiday to buy a doughnut and a 64oz Coca Cola from a drive-through, just so you can experience that authentic, local, life style.

Last edited:

Endoscope

LE
Book Reviewer
Do 3 days in NY. Once you have seen the statute of liberty and had a pastrami sandwich you've seen everything anyway.

Rent a car and drive down to Virginia. See the civil war battlefields, visit some wineries. Stop in at Virginia Beach to gawp and thank God that you didn't go to Florida, because that is even worse.

Drive back up to DC, try not to get shot, visit the FBI museum and fly home from there.

Find the time during the holiday to buy a doughnut and a 64oz Coca Cola from a drive-through, just so you can experience that authentic, local, life style.
Best write up on the states I've read in a while... you should work for Thomas Cooke...

End of June for a few days hits 4th July. Hotel prices will be eye-watering - the fireworks are worth seeing once though (lots of walking to view them though).

We've been twice; once in early spring (cold as a cold thing), and once in July (not too hot). We managed to find plenty to keep us occupied between sightseeing, shopping (for Mrs TM), and eating.

We stayed in Brooklyn and mostly used the ferry to get to and from Manhatten. The G Line seemed to be the only subway route wehere we managed to get confused, but the scenery is miles better above ground and you get some interesting views you don't get if you stick to the streets.

We went 3 or 4 years back, for 5 nights and it was also our first time. Here are a few of my observations.

1. Be careful on the flights, where you may fly into one airport and out of another. We went into JFK and out of Newark.
2. These were my last flights with BA and i hope i never have to again. Old tired planes and the worst customer service. Giving our prebooked seats to a BA crew member is one example.
3. Neither airport is exactly on Manhattan's doorstep and can be a minefield for being ripped off for transfers. I did my research and prebooked private cars both ways.
4. We used the subway extensively and managed to not make one mistake. Get a good map and figure out the terminology asap and you have a good chance of not going wrong. You will see some "sights" on the subway, just look the other way.
5. There is a lot to do, if you just wrote down all the "tourist traps"alone. Likely you cannot do them all, so narrow it down and if mobility is an issue, pay the extra cash for priority access(saved us queuing for 1/2 hr at the Empire State for example). We went on the Statue of Liberty boat and the ques were horrendous. When we got to the island and could see the size of the que to get back on the ferry, we just stayed on and treated it as an expensive ferry ride.
6. Most of the places you can name will be cheesy tourist traps and there will be peeps trying to fleece you, or get you to buy cheap tat. Just ignore it and walk on by. Central Park horse cart rides, OMGA!!
7. There are so many hotels and places to eat its not funny. Do your research from Trip Advisor and the like, then pay your money and take your choice. I have found the Shermans generally like to moan about Customer service, more than British people do, so somewhere getting bad reviews, cause they didn't like the Bellboys attitude, is way different to me BEING concerned about it being dirty, noisy and a blatant rip off.
8. I love going off the beaten track and while there was time for the Empire State and the Statue of Liberty, i equally enjoyed going up into Harlem to a soul food restaurant and sitting in a Bar in Brooklyn backstreet one afternoon, getting pickled.
9. Do not try and do too much.
10. Do not try and do too much.
I'd agree with much of that. Our own personal additions would be:
  • If you can't stretch to business class (it was the best thing we did - booking in the BA sale) at least look at purchasing a 'lounge pass' for the airport. It made the airport experience so much less stressful
  • We stayed downtown as it was cheaper, quieter and seemed safer. Got around by subway, always back in the hotel by 10:00pm
  • Ellis Island is a day trip, far less crowded and quite an eye opener. Statue of Liberty is a couple of hours max and crammed out. If you just want some decent photos of the SoL, then take the free Staten Island ferry.
  • We walked the Brooklyn Bridge too and had a very pleasant afternoon eating, drinking and people watching in Brooklyn.
  • All the New Yorkers we met were exceptionally polite especially when take the time to have a chat with them. Even the two guys who 'mugged' us on the Brooklyn Bridge:
    • "Hey man, how's it goin"
    • "Fine thanks"
    • "You guy's bruddish?, say How do you doooo"
    • "Yeah, over on a big holiday, how's you guys, what are you up to?"
    • "We're musicians, in fact we've got some demo CDs that you should buy, only $40 a piece"
    • "Oh we don't carry that much on us, but best of British and all that"
    • "Oh I'm sure we can negotiate a price brother, for the special relationship and all that"
    • 20 minutes later after some bargaining we left $30 lighter, in procession of 3 CDs of their new material that was definitely going to bag them a Grammy, and a photo of all of us together. I didn't expect the CDs to actually play but when we got back to hotel and played them they were standard East Coast rap if you like that sort of thing. And no, the Grammy's weren't troubled by them.
  • Food portions are huge. Fill up on breakfast (bagels, hash and eggs, etc) and you won't need to eat again until dinner.
  • The coffee is sh*te. I know that the American's can't do decent tea, but who knew that the coffee is dreadful too.
  • Chinatown was fab, the more rough and ready the restaurant looked from the outside, the better the food was on the inside.
Have fun

maritime

Old-Salt
Mod 90/veterans card do's help at certain places. Mobility issues, email ahead places you would like to visit on a certain date . Some will reply with a contact name,dept. Who will then help you out on day of visit,like Intrepid, Rockefeller .

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'd agree with much of that. Our own personal additions would be:
  • If you can't stretch to business class (it was the best thing we did - booking in the BA sale) at least look at purchasing a 'lounge pass' for the airport. It made the airport experience so much less stressful
  • We stayed downtown as it was cheaper, quieter and seemed safer. Got around by subway, always back in the hotel by 10:00pm
  • Ellis Island is a day trip, far less crowded and quite an eye opener. Statue of Liberty is a couple of hours max and crammed out. If you just want some decent photos of the SoL, then take the free Staten Island ferry.
  • We walked the Brooklyn Bridge too and had a very pleasant afternoon eating, drinking and people watching in Brooklyn.
  • All the New Yorkers we met were exceptionally polite especially when take the time to have a chat with them. Even the two guys who 'mugged' us on the Brooklyn Bridge:
    • "Hey man, how's it goin"
    • "Fine thanks"
    • "You guy's bruddish?, say How do you doooo"
    • "Yeah, over on a big holiday, how's you guys, what are you up to?"
    • "We're musicians, in fact we've got some demo CDs that you should buy, only $40 a piece"
    • "Oh we don't carry that much on us, but best of British and all that"
    • "Oh I'm sure we can negotiate a price brother, for the special relationship and all that"
    • 20 minutes later after some bargaining we left $30 lighter, in procession of 3 CDs of their new material that was definitely going to bag them a Grammy, and a photo of all of us together. I didn't expect the CDs to actually play but when we got back to hotel and played them they were standard East Coast rap if you like that sort of thing. And no, the Grammy's weren't troubled by them.
  • Food portions are huge. Fill up on breakfast (bagels, hash and eggs, etc) and you won't need to eat again until dinner.
  • The coffee is sh*te. I know that the American's can't do decent tea, but who knew that the coffee is dreadful too.
  • Chinatown was fab, the more rough and ready the restaurant looked from the outside, the better the food was on the inside.
Have fun
Adding to this, visit Little Italy, if you miss breakfast, get a Meatball Sub from one of the Eyetie restaurants, that'll keep you going for the rest of the day, the meatballs are the size of pool balls, all served in a lovely, but messy Marinara sauce but the meatballs themselves just fall apart in your mouth!

Latest Threads