New York - accommodation?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by .Dolly, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know of any hidden gems, in Manhattan preferably?

I'll be there in November for a few days but the friend I was staying with was so traumatised by the prospect of my presence that they've since accepted a job offer in London. Typically, it's the week of the Marathon and Election so with accommodation bordering on extortionate at the best of times I'm struggling to locate anything that doesn't require a limb or a first-born (knew I should have kept Maddie alive).

Usually I'm fairly adept at ferreting out a reasonable deal, but even given the weak dollar what I'm finding so far is shocking. Doesn't have to be palatial by any stretch of the imagination, just clean and most importantly for a laaaydeee on her tod safe for myself and my kit.

Any steers gratefully received, thank you.

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You could try here if you're serving. Basic but cheap and they do soemtimes let British military stay there.

Military club NY

3. Thank you for the pointers chaps; the Vanderbilt's location is spot on and the cost a little less embolismic, however they're only offering me shared bathroom facilities - which in a Snowdonia campsite is a social must but in NYC a no-no.

Bit of hoikage for today's lucky viewers.... any more for any more?

4. Try The Beekman, they do good deals (but perhaps not at Marathon time).

5. You could contact the USO in New York - http://www.usonyc.org/
    They have been known to help out British military personnel, what with us being allies and all that...