New Windproof Smock

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ollyblobf, Aug 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i'm a troop leader with the RMLY and was wondering if anyone could help with a little dilema of mine. My old windproof was recently nicked from my car by some cheeky pikey and i have been looking to replace it. So far i have bought a button hood for my G10 smock which is nice but what i really want is the new windproof that i have seen fable pictures of. Trouble is i can find one to buy. There seems to be no shortage of desert camo ones but i can't find the temperate version.

Can anyone help?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMY-SURPLUS-Windproof-Desert-Camo-Smock-Hood-Size-M_W0QQitemZ6554311371QQcategoryZ70988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just to clarify it looks like the one at the above address but only its in temperate dpm instead of desert. Four Pockets, Two Zipped Pockets, Hood, 95 Style Buttons. I seen one but can't find where to buy them form help

Olly

2. Cheers chaps looks like i have finally found it

blob

3. I have just had a look at that smock.

It seems to have answered my complaints about the original Artic smock.
    I always found the zip pockets and fabric loops handy bits of kit in the issue 95 jacket.
    I am glad that someone is paying attention!

4. the new windproof smock is fantastic.

it is obtainable at QMs if you are going to go somewhewre you need it. well my storeman is very helpful and orders things when you need them anyway. Everone who asked in my Unit was issued these en masse. Those who didnt ask, didnt get.

It has all the good features of the C95 jacket, ie zip frontpockets, slotted buttons, very big pockets, BIG VELCRO CUFFS unlike old model! Hurrah!

It is NOT the ARCTIC smock replacement but it does have a wired hood.
    it is reinforced at the elbow. it has a tieloop for the hood which KEEPS it in place. all very good.

BUT WHAT IS THE LITTLE POCKET ON THE ARM FOR, THAT THEY HAVE SEWN THE UNION FLAG TO, AND ALSO STITCHED THE VELCRO DOWN SO THE POCKET CANT EVEN BE USED!?????

TOO small for a field dressing or indeed anythin useful which i would not put in the zip/cargo pockets.

ideas?

5. Thanks for your opinions on the smock.
    As i am TA and not going to be going anywhere where i will need it and with the standard issue storeman - "Stores is for storing..." etc i shall make a private purchase.
    Maybe you have to undo the stitching as you have to with new suit jackets / blazers. Otherwise i haven't a clue!

6. Dont laugh but i have been told by a QM type that the little pocket on the left arm is for those little sponge ear defenders you get from the RAF . To be honest i cannot think of anything else that can go there . Except one of those ''ECCO'' things you get when in the artic if you get covered in a snow drift .

7. What is the NSN?

8. The small pocket on the left arm is for a small device that helps aid detection should you get buried in an avalanche.

The NSN for size 170/104 is: 8415 99 573 5262
    ,for the woodland version.

I think somebody missed a trick, as this pocket also appears on the desert version.

9. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Bat

You 're not a pervert - you're a mine of information - and a spotter :D

10. Scary,

They even do one your size!

Anyway, it's a bit early in the day for me. Back to the roost.