New Website. Basic Tips.

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Arte_et_Marte, Jul 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

This works for me but may not be everyones cuppa tea. I have binned everybodys signature block and re-adjusted the posting count to 20 per page. Here's how

1. Go to the "settings" tab and click it.

2. Go to "General settings"

3. Scroll down to the section "Thread display options" and untick the box "Show Signatures"

4. Scroll down a tad further to the "number of posts to show per page" and then use the drop down menu to adjust

4. Keep srolling down to the end and Save your changes!!
  2. Thanks for those. Now all I need to do is change the "Glory unto the sky-gods" colour scheme ...
  3. Ta very much - keep em coming.

Got any hints on:

A. The quickest way (there being no "watch this topic" button) to subscribe to a topic? (I haven't yet found a way to do it without making a post)

B. Once subscribed to a topic, if my 'notifications' are set to the default 'through my control panel only' - where am I s'posed to look for them?
  4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

At the top click on 'Thread Tools'
    'subscribe to this thread'
    select your method (you can change the default in settings, otherwise you'll need to set it to 'email' each time
    click again

Bob's your auntie's live-in lover!
  5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Is that the drop down menu ingeneral settings and choosing "Default Thread subscription mode and choose: Instantly using email?
  6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

That's what I used. There may be better ways ....
  7. I will have a bash at this one for you.

1. Click on "Settings"

2. Scroll down under your PM's and you can see your subscribed threads that have new postings since you last looked.

3. On the same page, click "View all subscribed threads" and every subscribed thread that you have previously posted on will appear.

N.B. You automatically 'subscibe' to a thread when you reply to a post. You can of course cancel this option when you get fed up with the thread, and are no longer interested in new replies.
  8. I did the above.. found my subscriptions but when I tried to remove them I got this:-(In a little box)

Invalid Folder specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Right Gracie, you need to do this.

1. Go to settings again and click.

2. Scroll down past your PM's to the "View all threads" and click again. This has now opened up all your subscribed threads.

3. Look down the right side at the empty boxes and tick the one (or more) that you want to stop getting notifications for. Example number (1) in the picture below.

Then click on Number (2) in the picture.

4. This opens up a small menu as seen below. Click on Delete subscription (3) and then "Go" (4)

You are now sorted.
    Subscription deleted. You can of course rejoin at any time simply by replying to that post.

1. Go to "settings" (this is now becoming my first point of call by the way)

2. Go to "General settings"

3. Scroll down until you get to "Messaging and Notification" and click on the drop down menu.

4. Choose your option from the list.

5. Scroll to the bottom and (as always) "Save Changes"

11. Arte- many tanks for that.

Is there any way to discreetly subscribe to a thread WITHOUT having to make a post when you really have nothing to add (like the "Watch this thread" button in OldARRSE)?

Or am I jus' bein' thick again?
  12. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

At the top of this page, in the White Tabs area ... thread Tools/Subscribe to this Thread.

Sorry I can't do the graphics stuff ;)
  13. I was right - me being thick again: too long on a soft regime of single-click functionality . . ;D
  14. Thank you for all your kind help and effort Arte et Marte, it's very much appreciated.

15. How do I get the last 50 posts to come up in order? I've noticed on a few threads I've posted on that they're somewhere on Page 3 or 4!