new virus thought id share with u fellow arrses

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by trustnoone, Feb 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. READ ASAP...DO NOT DELETE...VERY IMPORTANT ALERT
    >READ IMMEDIATELY AND PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
    >
    >Someone is sending out a very cute screensaver of the
    >"Budweiser Frogs."
    >
    >If you download it, you will lose everything! Your hard drive
    >will crash and someone from the Internet will get your screen name
    >and password!
    >
    >DO NOT
    DOWNLOAD IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!
    >
    >It only went into circulation yesterday.
    >
    >
    >Please distribute this message. This is a new, very malicious
    >virus and not many people know about it. This information was
    >announced yesterday morning from Microsoft. Please share it with everyone who might access the Internet.
    >
    >Once again, Pass This Along To EVERYONE in your address book so that this may be stopped. AOL has said that this is a very dangerous
    >virus and that there is NO remedy for it at this time.
    >
    >This is VERY important. If you receive a screen saver from a
    >friend, or anyone you may not know, with the Budweiser Frogs< /SPAN> in it, DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT OR OPEN THE FILE!
    >
    >Press the forward button on your email program and send this
    >notice to EVERYONE you know. Let's keep our
    email safe for everyone.

2. OH GOOD god how long is this going to go round for??

ITS A HOAX!!!! Check before you post, its not difficult...thats what Google etc is there for!!

3. daz

daz LE

Or bookmark sites like these symantec hoax page
    hoaxbusters

or read this guide to hoax spotting

common signs to watch for...

Here's How:
    1. Note whether the text you've received was actually written by the person who sent it. Did anyone sign their name to it? If not, be skeptical.

2. Look for the telltale phrase, 'Forward this to everyone you know!' The more urgent the plea, the more suspect the message.

3. Look for statements like 'This is NOT a hoax' or 'This is NOT an urban legend.' They typically mean the opposite of what they say.

4. Watch for overly emphatic language, as well as frequent use of UPPERCASE LETTERS and multiple exclamation points!!!!!!!

5. If the text seems aimed more at persuading than informing the reader, be suspicious. Like propagandists, hoaxers are more interested in pushing people's emotional buttons than communicating accurate information.

6. If the message purports to impart extremely important information that you've never heard of before or read elsewhere in legitimate venues, be very suspicious.

7. Read carefully and think critically about what the message says, looking for logical inconsistencies, violations of common sense and blatantly false claims.

8. Look for subtle or not-so-subtle jokes — indications that the author is pulling your leg.

9. Check for references to outside sources of information. Hoaxes don't typically cite verifiable evidence, nor link to Websites with corroborating information.

10. Check to see if the message has been debunked by Websites that debunk urban legends and Internet hoaxes (see below).

11. Research any factual claims in the text to see if there is published evidence to support them. If you find none, odds are you've been the recipient of an email hoax.

Tips:
    Virtually any email chain letter you receive (i.e., any message forwarded multiple times before it got to you) is more likely to be false than true. You should automatically be skeptical of chain letters.
    Hoaxers usually try every means available to make their lies believable -- e.g., mimicking a journalistic style, attributing the text to a 'legitimate' source, or implying that powerful corporate or government interests have tried to keep the information from you.
    Be especially wary of health-related rumors. Most importantly, never act on 'medical information' forwarded from unknown sources without first verifying its accuracy with a doctor or other reliable source.

4. God its depressing how easily some people get taken in.

I aslo feel the possability of a Wah coming here..

5. Best way to see if your machine has no viruses is to click on Start, click on Run, type in the letters CMD, press Enter, then type in FORMAT C:

Press Enter, press Y, click Enter to delete viruses from your C drive, and your machine will check for any problems. Reboot once complete.

6. If someone believes that and actually does it, then they deserve what they get.

Anyone following this advice should prompty gift your computer to me, as you no longer deserve to own one. :twisted:

7. Or me.

8. Naughty, naughty Gunny. You know there are gullible people out there.

PS. Did you know that the word gullible isn't in the dictionary.

9. Wah!!

How many of you checked? (OK so I did - But I had to to make sure that I didn't look a gullible fool. Oops)

10. There's always at least one.

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

12. Come on - It had to be done! :lol:

13. Oh and trustnoone, while I remember, those Emails from your bank asking you to confirm your account number and Password are legit. Its a standard Security practice when the bank cocks up its server database, and can't reference the IP addresses with the LTTP80 Port.