Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Virginia class boats for the USN

HE117

LE
Last edited:
Threads like this seriously lead me to despair.

Regards,
MM

CmdKeen

Old-Salt
Trying to get *slightly* back on point - China is the one that is surrounded, they are the ones susceptible to Sea Denial, which as earlier mentioned is where submarines excel. They rely on sea trade for imports, including POL, and the exports that keep their economy going. The rail links out are nothing compared to the bulk merchant traffic.

This is also one reason why other Asian nations that aren't 100% in favour of China are happily purchasing Russian SSKs, i.e. the ASUW ones.

The First Island chain is essentially lost, I'm not sure I'd want to be on the sea inside the second, or ashore on any of them, during a conflict. Those aren't the places to choose to fight China, don't pick battles on her terms. Owning the South China Sea is lovely, but when nothing from the Middle East gets past Malaysia that doesn't add up to all that much.

Yokel

LE
Trying to get *slightly* back on point - China is the one that is surrounded, they are the ones susceptible to Sea Denial, which as earlier mentioned is where submarines excel. They rely on sea trade for imports, including POL, and the exports that keep their economy going. The rail links out are nothing compared to the bulk merchant traffic.

This is also one reason why other Asian nations that aren't 100% in favour of China are happily purchasing Russian SSKs, i.e. the ASUW ones.

The First Island chain is essentially lost, I'm not sure I'd want to be on the sea inside the second, or ashore on any of them, during a conflict. Those aren't the places to choose to fight China, don't pick battles on her terms. Owning the South China Sea is lovely, but when nothing from the Middle East gets past Malaysia that doesn't add up to all that much.

It is interesting that you mention an Asian submarine arms race. I know that places like the Republic of Korea and Malaysia are looking to expand their ASW capability although that is due in part to North Korea.

Do you know if the PLA Navy carriers will carry ASW helicopters as well as jets and do integrated ASW as per RN and USN practice? Do the Chinese carriers have experience of operating in a task group that includes submarines?

China is facing exactly the same issue the Japanese faced in WWII owning the same wet turf.
dominate a few choke points, and they are targets on a big lake.

It is interesting that you mention an Asian submarine arms race. I know that places like the Republic of Korea and Malaysia are looking to expand their ASW capability although that is due in part to North Korea.

Do you know if the PLA Navy carriers will carry ASW helicopters as well as jets and do integrated ASW as per RN and USN practice? Do the Chinese carriers have experience of operating in a task group that includes submarines?

you’re only as good as the people you train against.
We, the their potential adversaries, train against the very best, who are they training against?

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
There seems to have been no mention of satellite surveillance here - I would have thought that all the major powers know exactly where the others’ major assets (such as a carrier battle group) are almost 24/7 and to the nearest 10m?

Yokel

LE
There seems to have been no mention of satellite surveillance here - I would have thought that all the major powers know exactly where the others’ major assets (such as a carrier battle group) are almost 24/7 and to the nearest 10m?

@jrwlynch will be able to gave you a better answer, but satellites are not quite the all seeing eye in the sky some might think. To have any chance of seeing a ship a satellite would need to be in a Low Earth Orbit, so it only passes a particular point every so often and have a limited field of view.

Radar tracking of the satellite will show its ground track, and evasive actions taken. I wonder what the field of view is for a satellite with a 90 minute orbital period?

Threads like this seriously lead me to despair.

Regards,
MM
Imagine remaking the film misery, with yourself as the jimmy caan character and photex being kathy bates mits sledgehammer…….

If that aint bad enough you(jimmy caan) are trying to modernise the hunt for red october. While photex is explaining why the red banner fleet was the premier sea going fleet…..

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Imagine remaking the film misery, with yourself as the jimmy caan character and photex being kathy bates mits sledgehammer…….

If that aint bad enough you(jimmy caan) are trying to modernise the hunt for red october. While photex is explaining why the red banner fleet was the premier sea going fleet…..
Sorry. I’m reading this sober. That’s not a dig at you or the post. Just, the concept...

Latest Threads