New vests from the USA

So OK it is Fookin hot out there but which egg head thought that a 17 pound self cooling system for the Spam Infanteer was a/is a good idea?

The cooling vest can only be used in vehicles, because the entire unit consists of the vest, a 13 pound cooling unit and an umbilical cord that attached to the vest. The cooling unit is plugged into the vehicles electrical system. The vests cost about $7,000 each and the army plans to equip the crews of over 9,000 helicopters with the vests by 2010. The army had originally planned to issue the vest to troops in 2004, but problems making the system reliable enough for troop use delayed things. The vest was tested in Iraq two years ago, and that’s where the reliability problems were discovered. The army also has a similar cooling system, for foot troops, in development. This 17 pound system is carried on the back, and an internal combustion engine supplies the power for the vest. About six ounces of fuel will keep the vest going for about five hours.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20051228.aspx

So thats 17 pounds on top of all the rest of the gear, so a foot slogger has to carry weapon, helmet,body armour,water and the rest ?

To be honest mate nothing I hear about the Spams surprises me anymore... Only in America! :roll:

Internal combustion engine on your back, not very quiet and quite a fire hazard I suppose, also its more for the troops to carry and worry about and maintain/Spam version of REME to repair, Spam version of RLC to stock spares and supply fuel for etc. What an absolute bollox idea! Why not just soak a sweat-rag in water and tie that around your neck, does the same job!

It says its for helo crews, which would at least mean the troop doesnt have to carry it around. BUT do helo crews really need it, are they sweating as much as the inf and surely the door gunners in the back have the doors open meaning mucho natural cooling.

Like why bother introducing it for tankies if CR2 has air conditioning and why bother introducing it for aircrew as can't they have a series of pipes pumping cooling water around their flightsuits (or electric-blanket-like-filament for ECW)?

Best off not adopting fcuking useless braindead mongloid kit into service if you ask me... but the Spams will pay for it... :roll:

The army also has a similar cooling system, for foot troops, in development. This 17 pound system is carried on the back, and an internal combustion engine supplies the power for the vest. About six ounces of fuel will keep the vest going for about five hours.
Surely a joke?

Latest Threads